Senate Republicans block BP investigation

In what way?

I've already stated why in other threads. I'm not gonna get into it yet again. Most posters prefer to be spoon fed information by the media to finding out facts for themselves. (By that, I don't necessarily mean you) so I'm not inclined to go into stuff that the media choose not to talk about.

Well, this is what I know, so far, CG. The Deepwater Horizon rig was licensed and operational before Obama took office. The safety plan and safety inspections that should have been required were clearly negligently done, but again, before he took office. However, he appointed a new DOI czar, Salazar, and Salazar presumably replaced the head of MMS or chose to retain him.

The shenanigans at MMS were extreme, well-known and had previously been reported on. Obama did not direct Salazar to clean up that cesspool. Had MSS been redirected in January 2009, the spill probably would have been averted.

There's enough blame to go around, but yes, Obama has to shoulder his fair share.

In what way?

I've already stated why in other threads. I'm not gonna get into it yet again. Most posters prefer to be spoon fed information by the media to finding out facts for themselves. (By that, I don't necessarily mean you) so I'm not inclined to go into stuff that the media choose not to talk about.

Well, this is what I know, so far, CG. The Deepwater Horizon rig was licensed and operational before Obama took office. The safety plan and safety inspections that should have been required were clearly negligently done, but again, before he took office. However, he appointed a new DOI czar, Salazar, and Salazar presumably replaced the head of MMS or chose to retain him.

The shenanigans at MMS were extreme, well-known and had previously been reported on. Obama did not direct Salazar to clean up that cesspool. Had MSS been redirected in January 2009, the spill probably would have been averted.

There's enough blame to go around, but yes, Obama has to shoulder his fair share.

I didn't say Obama. I don't actually hold him responsible. I hold the right people responsible. Congress. All of them. Regardless of party. Fact is that it was Congress who pushed BP out to deep water drilling, overriding BP's concerns, as well as those of Haliburton, Transocean and the individual states. All three companies, and the individual state governments wanted onshore drilling. It was congress that overrode that and pushed the drilling out. And that was a Dem led Congress, so screaming 'Buuuuusssshhhh' doesn't cut it. All this is verifiable with a considerable amount of effort - ie, you need to look past getting information from the media.

This whole thing is just more smoke and mirrors... with the GOP and Dems pointing the finger at each other, all of them pointing at BP (the big bad foreign company) and ALL of them know why their doing it. Because they don't want Americans to stop the hysteria and ask the hard questions. Sadly, it works. It always does. Because, generally, Americans prefer to have an easy answer, a bogeyman to blame, because the alternative is just too hard.

Last edited:
Good grief. Such chicken littles. The GOP Senators blocked it so they could actually read it.

Good: Senate GOP will lift block on subpoena power against BP

Okay, it turns out Senate Republicans are going to do the right thing and support giving officials the subpoena power to probe BP.

According to a DeMint aide, he happened to be on the floor when a Democratic Senator introduced the bill for a voice vote. DeMint was told by GOP leadership aides to hold up the bill because leadership hadn't had a chance to read it, the DeMint aide says.

But now that the leadership has read the bill and decided it has no objections, it will move forward if a Dem asks again for it to be passed by unanimous consent.

....​
The Plum Line - Good: Senate GOP will lift block on subpoena power against BP

I don't know about anyone else, but I prefer my lawmakers actually to read legislation before they vote on passing it. :rolleyes:

Good grief. Such chicken littles. The GOP Senators blocked it so they could actually read it.

Okay, it turns out Senate Republicans are going to do the right thing and support giving officials the subpoena power to probe BP.

According to a DeMint aide, he happened to be on the floor when a Democratic Senator introduced the bill for a voice vote. DeMint was told by GOP leadership aides to hold up the bill because leadership hadn't had a chance to read it, the DeMint aide says.

But now that the leadership has read the bill and decided it has no objections, it will move forward if a Dem asks again for it to be passed by unanimous consent.

....​

I don't know about anyone else, but I prefer my lawmakers actually to read legislation before they vote on passing it. :rolleyes:

You're mean. You're spoiling rdrool's fun.

....​

Ya, but the trouble is rdean has his fun at our expense. I am tired of chasing rabbits down holes, and I know I won't take him at his word again anytime soon. So unless I have a half-hour to fact-check, I prolly won't be reading many more rdean posts.

I might not feel this way if rdean could've admitted his error and apologized, but he did not...and his viciousness towards SFC Ollie turned me totally off.

....​

Ya, but the trouble is rdean has his fun at our expense. I am tired of chasing rabbits down holes, and I know I won't take him at his word again anytime soon. So unless I have a half-hour to fact-check, I prolly won't be reading many more rdean posts.

I might not feel this way if rdean could've admitted his error and apologized, but he did not...and his viciousness towards SFC Ollie turned me totally off.

Never take a claim that either party is deliberately voting against the best interests of 'we, the people' at face value. There is ALWAYS a reason - and that reason is usually valid. That goes as much for the Dems as it does for the GOP. It is the same as the Defense budget - the dems claim the GOP 'hate' the military because they voted it down. Truth was, they voted against the crap that was tacked onto the Defense bill in order to PROTECT the military - not to damage it. This is the main reason why you cannot trust the partisans in anything they claim.

....​

I tend to do that more than 6% of the time, when I can actually decipher his babble. Divecon tends to do it a lot whenever deanie-do's links either have nothing to do with what he says or, more often, completely contradict what he says. It's good being a 6%er.

....​

I like that, 'chasing rabbits down holes'. Gonna file that saying away for future use.

And, much as I am loathe to provide much of a defense for deanie-do, a lot of the press DID report this without that little detail about the actual REASON the Senate GOP blocked it.

That is why I check several sources before I comment.

It's a shame what our press has become. We get what we settle for, though. Quality equilibrates to the lowest level of expectations.

Damn, damn...just more reason to emphasize critical thinking in ALL aspects of our lives.

I like that, 'chasing rabbits down holes'. Gonna file that saying away for future use.

And, much as I am loathe to provide much of a defense for deanie-do, a lot of the press DID report this without that little detail about the actual REASON the Senate GOP blocked it.

That is why I check several sources before I comment.

It's a shame what our press has become. We get what we settle for, though. Quality equilibrates to the lowest level of expectations.

Damn, damn...just more reason to emphasize critical thinking in ALL aspects of our lives.

Lesson for the foolish: Don't take media reports at face value.

LibocalypseNow claimed Obama took money directly from the company and in greater amounts than any pol before him. Preposterous gibberish, I suspect. On a thread we're using to bash our favorite lefty agent provacateur, seems only right to take our favorite righty one to the woodshed as well.

It is not preposterous gibberish, mo chara.

Obama biggest recipient of BP cash - Erika Lovley - POLITICO.com

Whether you like the 'source' or not, the figures are what they are.... accurate.

the original story about Obama receiving over 77 thousand from BP Pacs came from the New York Times. Later, the New York Times printed a "correction". But the damage had been done. Republicans gleefully took this story and ran with it smearing the first minority president. It wasn't their first time and it won't be their last. They are a dirty political party who cares nothing for the truth. Many on this board are evidence of that.

Correction: June 25, 2010

An article on Saturday about BP’s political connections described incorrectly the more than $77,000 in contributions that President Obama received in the 2008 election cycle from BP-related donors. All of the contributions came from BP employees; Mr. Obama did not receive any money from BP’s political action committee in the presidential campaign. (He did receive $1,000 from the company’s P.A.C. in his 2004 Senate campaign.)

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/19/us/politics/19donate.html

So here you go: Among all federal-level candidates, President Barack Obama is the all-time top recipient of BP-related money -- more than $77,000 -- with 99 percent of it coming from personal donations made by BP employees. Obama took no money from any political action committees during his 2008 presidential run, when he shattered previous fund-raising records, but he did accept $1,000 from BP's PAC during his 2004 Senate bid. Two other former presidential candidates -- George W. Bush ($47,388) and John McCain ($44,899) -- also rank on BP's top 20 list. Rep. Joe Barton (R-Texas) who made a ton of news Thursday regarding BP, is also there.

BP's Favorite Lawmakers, A Setback for DISCLOSE Act and More in Capital Eye Opener: June 18 - OpenSecrets Blog | OpenSecrets

Obama received $71,051 in BP-linked contributions for his presidential campaign, according to the nonpartisan Center for Responsible Politics. All of the money came from BP employees, not the company. Obama did not accept contributions from political action committees; none of this is from BP's PAC.

Obama's campaign money from BP employees, not company or BP's PAC - Washington DC Policy Reform | Examiner.com

The New York Times falsely reported that Obama took PAC money from BP
oil. They reported a few months ago, that "in the 2008
election...Obama...took in $77,000...from BP...executives and its
political action committee." But Obama did no such thing. In fact,
Obama made a deliberate point of refusing to accept any money from BP
in the last presidential election. Obama did not accept contributions
from any political action committees. In marked contrast, they
hypocrit "maverick" John McCain took all the money he could from
BP.

NY Times Lied. Obama Took NO Money From BP Oil. - alt.politics | Google Groups

....​

So,you think that the President's commission has "subpoena power"?

--------------------------------------------------

BP slow to pay oil spill damage claims while Tampa Bay fisherman struggle

September 25th, 2010 6:50 pm ET

Blocking subpoena power in disaster investigative commissions is unheard of. The terrorists crisis, the financial crisis and Three Mile Island commissions all had subpoena power. However, Senate Republicans gave no explanation on Monday when they blocked the Presidential Commission on the BP oil spill from having subpoena power to conduct the investigation.

Protecting BP does not serve the American people, and it will not bring the truth to the millions of people along the Gulf Coast who are entitled to answers. Moreover, it is an insult to the families of the eleven men who were killed the night the Deepwater Horizon exploded. It is difficult to fathom how the Republicans can justify obstructing justice in the BP oil spill, but that is exactly what they have done. The bigger question is, how can Americans let them get away with it?

Subpoena power in BP oil spill investigation blocked by Senate Republicans - National Political Spin | Examiner.com

-------------------------------------------------------

How many oil wells are there in the gulf. A thousand? A hundred thousand? Hundreds of thousands? If there is an "explosion", it's because someone cut corners.

11 men died. Their families are devastated. The Gulf is damaged. Denying subpoena power gives BP a chance to get rid of documents. To purge evidence. Without the subpoena, there is no compulsion to testify, to give documents and e-mails.
The so called "liberal" press dropped the ball on this. Maybe because they are more "conservative" than "liberal"?

Where is my "error"?

....​

Why would he admit to it. He knew he was full of shit when he posted it. He is a pure propagandist of the highest order.

I have looked and looked for a updated story about this but it seems every one I can find ends up talking about back at the end of July when this happened. And they all leave out the part where Senator Demint explains why he objected.They all also leave out the part where the Republican leadership said they were fine with the bill and would support it moving forward. So if this commission does not have subpoena powers, that means the Democrats never brought it back up for a vote.

I couldn't find where this happened either, but then no one in any of the stories have given the number or name of the bill. Makes it hard to actually find.....

I have looked and looked for a updated story about this but it seems every one I can find ends up talking about back at the end of July when this happened. And they all leave out the part where Senator Demint explains why he objected.They all also leave out the part where the Republican leadership said they were fine with the bill and would support it moving forward. So if this commission does not have subpoena powers, that means the Democrats never brought it back up for a vote.

I couldn't find where this happened either, but then no one in any of the stories have given the number or name of the bill. Makes it hard to actually find.....

Only NOW you look up the date?

By Greg Sargent | July 1, 2010; 2:35 PM ET

That was four months ago. So now it's the Democrat's fault.

Bush was given subpoena power for the 9/11 commission. No Democrat had to "read something". The president was given subpoena power over "3 mile Island".

Not Obama from the Republicans. Because they had to "read something".

Republicans have said they are looking for Obama's Waterloo and want him to "fail". Or am I lying about that too?

Not even sure it matters anymore. On something like this, you have to strike right away. Get emails, get records, gather evidence.

Everything has been laundered now. It probably doesn't really matter.

Besides, BP might have been found guilty of something. Do you really think that Republicans, who publicly apologized to BP for suggesting they pay for their mess, would want that?

Like I said, how many oil rigs are in the gulf? How many disasters are just "accidents" and how many because someone "cut corners" to save a few bucks.

I bet now we will never know.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Crew Argued Over Drilling Plan Before Rig Explosion

About 11 hours before the Deepwater Horizon exploded, a disagreement took place between the top manager for oil giant BP PLC on the drilling rig and his counterpart for the rig's owner, Transocean Ltd., concerning the final steps in shutting down the nearly completed well, according to a worker's sworn statement.

Michael Williams, a Transocean employee who was chief electronics technician on the rig, said there was "confusion" between those high-ranking officials in an 11 a.m. meeting on the day of the rig blast, according to a sworn statement from Mr. Williams reviewed by The Wall Street Journal. Mr. Williams himself attended the meeting.

The confusion over the drilling plan in the final hours leading up to the explosion could be key to understanding the causes of the blowout and ultimately who was responsible.

What is known from drilling records and congressional testimony is that after the morning meeting, the crew began preparations to remove from the drill pipe heavy drilling "mud" that provides pressure to keep down any gas, and to replace this mud with lighter seawater.

Ultimately, the crew removed the mud before setting a final 300-foot cement plug that is typically poured as a last safeguard to prevent combustible gas from rising to the surface. Indeed, they never got the opportunity to set the plug.

Mr. Williams declined to be interviewed.

Oil-Rig Crew Argued Over Drilling Plan Before Blast - WSJ.com

Why would he admit to it. He knew he was full of shit when he posted it. He is a pure propagandist of the highest order.

Turns out I was right after all.

Blocking subpoena power in disaster investigative commissions is unheard of. The terrorists crisis, the financial crisis and Three Mile Island commissions all had subpoena power. However, Senate Republicans gave no explanation on Monday when they blocked the Presidential Commission on the BP oil spill from having subpoena power to conduct the investigation.

Protecting BP does not serve the American people, and it will not bring the truth to the millions of people along the Gulf Coast who are entitled to answers. Moreover, it is an insult to the families of the eleven men who were killed the night the Deepwater Horizon exploded. It is difficult to fathom how the Republicans can justify obstructing justice in the BP oil spill, but that is exactly what they have done. The bigger question is, how can Americans let them get away with it?

Subpoena power in BP oil spill investigation blocked by Senate Republicans - National Political Spin | Examiner.com

How many oil wells are there in the gulf. A thousand? A hundred thousand? Hundreds of thousands? If there is an "explosion", it's because someone cut corners.

11 men died. Their families are devastated. The Gulf is damaged. Denying subpoena power gives BP a chance to get rid of documents. To purge evidence. Without the subpoena, there is no compulsion to testify, to give documents and e-mails.
The so called "liberal" press dropped the ball on this. Maybe because they are more "conservative" than "liberal"?

Where is my "error"?

Oops, deanie-do. Try reading it again: The Plum Line - Good: Senate GOP will lift block on subpoena power against BP

Or remain willfully ignorant and the fool.

Where is my "error"?

Oops, deanie-do. Try reading it again: The Plum Line - Good: Senate GOP will lift block on subpoena power against BP

rdean will ignore it

as do his retarded sources

Where is my "error"?

rdean will ignore it

Read it yourself you fools.

Look at the date on that post you keep waiving around. It was JULY FUCKING FIRST.

And does the president have subpoena power now? NOOOOOO.

It takes the Republicans 4 MONTHS to "read something"?????

There were NEVER going to give him ANYTHING. He's a "black" guy in the "WHITE" House.

Remember:

it will be his Waterloo.

Remember:

It will break him

Republicans want Obama to "fail". They say it's his policies, but that's a joke. Nothing he has done has been anywhere as close to radical as what they did under Bush.

rdean will ignore it

Look at the date on that post you keep waiving around. It was JULY FUCKING FIRST.

There were NEVER going to give him ANYTHING. He's a "black" guy in the "WHITE" House.

Remember:

it will be his Waterloo.

Remember:

It will break him

Republicans want Obama to "fail". They say it's his policies, but that's a joke. Nothing he has done has been anywhere as close to radical as what they did under Bush.

Tell you what you racist fuck; you show me the bill, and when it was presented. Even just give me the bills number and I'll do the research. because right now you got nothing. Demint stated flat out that it was blocked so it could be read, and then it was said that the republican ;leadership had no problems with it. There isn't another mews story about it. So show me where the democrats tried to bring it up and the Republicans blocked it again......Or as I said just find the bill number because I can't find it. Seems almost as if it doesn't exist.

You have this fucking hate problem and try to pass it off to everyone else I for one am tired of your shit.

rdean will ignore it

Remember:

it will be his Waterloo.

Remember:

It will break him

you dipshit, the GOP block on it was LIFTED then
when they READ it
you dishonest PoS

Forum List

Back