Senate Republicans block BP investigation

Remember how many times I said this would happen? Republicans will probably get both houses this fall. BP will pay nothing. ALL costs will be born by the Middle Class.

Oh, I am sure Dems breathed heavy and were praying for Hope & Change. I thought BP already put up a WH bond to pay for damages, as required by our laws at the time of the spill. And they have went beyond that by accepting responsibility and working our coast lines and gulf as best they can.

The only thing we don't know is how bad the damage is going to be on the gulf animals, and how many years it will take for the gulf to recover. As long as the blue crab is staggaring around like drunk on Saturday night, I have no intentions of eating the mercury laced water life. And I think all water life should be checked by the FDA & IDed to know where it is coming from.

Remember how many times I said this would happen? Republicans will probably get both houses this fall. BP will pay nothing. ALL costs will be born by the Middle Class.

Oh, I am sure Dems breathed heavy and were praying for Hope & Change. I thought BP already put up a WH bond to pay for damages, as required by our laws at the time of the spill. And they have went beyond that by accepting responsibility and working our coast lines and gulf as best they can.

The only thing we don't know is how bad the damage is going to be on the gulf animals, and how many years it will take for the gulf to recover. As long as the blue crab is staggaring around like drunk on Saturday night, I have no intentions of eating the mercury laced water life. And I think all water life should be checked by the FDA & IDed to know where it is coming from.

What laws? Do you have a link?

How much has BP actually put into that account? Remember, they said they were going to put in 20 billion in 5 billion dollar installments over 4 years. But that was before the Republicans "apologized" and called it a shake down. Even though nearly a dozen of the "little people" died on that oil rig explosion, somehow, to Republicans, it was "just an accident". To them, it's obvious the middle class should pay for the clean up and damage.

It was clear that BP had no idea they had this "support" in our government. I suspect if they knew the Republicans were going to apologize, they NEVER would have pledged all that money. Without subpoena power and knowing the Republicans are on their side, how much do you think we will actually get? Probably what we've got so far and not a penny more. Wanna bet?

One things for sure, if Republicans get both houses, and they probably will, there will be no further investigation.

This is old news, unless i am confusing almost the exact same thing.

Yes Republicans blocked it in the Senate until the republican leadership had time to read it.

They then, a day or 2 later allowed the vote to go forward.

Move on folks there is no story here......

O for pity's sake...I feel foolish now!

Damn you, rdean!!!

They are pulling your leg.

The president's commission met today on BP to try to figure out their options without subpoena power. The President had subpoena power for the 9/11 Commission, for 3-Mile Island. They don't have it for BP because it was blocked by Republicans.

That means that we have to rely on what ever BP is kind enough to share with us.

If you look at the Republican's "Plague on America", there is nothing about alternate energy or environmental protection. They simply don't care about these things.

We watched this oil spill for months. What have you heard about it in the so-called "liberal" media for the last couple of months. Seems the "liberal" media may not be so "liberal" after all.

Hey rdean, linkiepoo please? I have mental whiplash here. I follow the BP story fairly closely and have not heard about this before.

I can't. At least not yet. I just watched this on the news. It's why I posted it.

What is it you think I'm lying about? What did i say that was so threatening?

Because I told the truth, you "Heard" something on the news and because you think it will hurt republicans you start trashing it in here. Well dick head you are wrong again. And you know it. Now get off mommies computer.

OK you dirty smear of a shitstain. I gave you the opportunity to show some honor, which I was sure you didn't have. At least you didn't disappoint.

Here is the official statement from the Secretary of the Interior before the NATIONAL COMMISSION ON THE BP DEEPWATER HORIZON OIL SPILL AND OFFSHORE DRILLING

dated SEPTEMBER 27, 2010

from the meeting they had today you fucker.

Secretary Salazar Statement BP Oil Spill Commission

Go read it SWINE.

They are also meeting tomorrow:

Experts question BP's take on Gulf oil spill

By DINA CAPPIELLO
The Associated Press
Sunday, September 26, 2010; 3:43 PM

BP's testimony, and the questioning, lasted more than three hours on Sunday. It was the first time BP's six-person investigation team was questioned publicly about its findings. On Monday and Tuesday in Washington, investigators will turn their attention to the government's response to the spill and its impact on the economy and environment at a hearing of the national spill commission set up by President Barack Obama.

washingtonpost.com

You are a creep and an asswipe. Republicans and others of your kind almost never put up links or proof but they howl when they hear a comment they don't like.

This is me:

This is you:

rdean, there is absolutely no excuse for this outburst. You owe SFC Ollie an apology.

If you dun want to be treated like a petulant child, stop behaving like one.

Last edited:
Just investigate this Administration instead. I'll settle for that. BP & this Administration are the same entity. This current President took the most cash from BP of any politician in America. If you investigate BP you also have to investigate this White House. They're the same thing. So make it happen Republicans. Winning in November can make it happen. Go get em.

And there you are. Just as dirty as SFC Ollie. No links. Just lies.

And why no links? Because you would have to explain how the money to Obama came from BP Employees. You know, secretaries, janitors, engineers, platform workers, kitchen workers and thousands of other employees. Not a cent came from a BP sponsored PAC.

Your kind are so dirty.

Your kind hate this country.

What is it that makes the right wing such filthy people?

NY Times falsely reports that Obama took BP PAC money for 2008 campaign
June 19, 2010 1:07 pm ET

The New York Times reported that "in the 2008 election cycle," Barack Obama "took in $77,000" from BP "executives and its political action committee." In fact, Obama received $71,051 in BP-linked donations in 2008, and all of that money came from BP employees, not from BP's PAC, according to the nonpartisan Center for Responsive Politics.

NY Times falsely reports that Obama took BP PAC money for 2008 campaign | Media Matters for America

Lol! Man,you're actually kind of pathetic. Barack Obama did receive the most money from BP of any politician in America. This is just fact. Just because you don't want to accept this,it doesn't mean it's not fact. BP and this White House are the same entity. They're old buddies. You can't investigate one without investigating the other one too. I really do hope this happens. That Oil Spill calamity should no longer be allowed to be White Washed by the Democrats. Maybe things will change in November. God i hope so.

If this is true it's easily proven, LibocalypseNow. Post a fucking link or else you seem to be such a partisan hack you'd nuke the Gulf region if it would ding Obama's reputation.

And there you are. Just as dirty as SFC Ollie. No links. Just lies.

And why no links? Because you would have to explain how the money to Obama came from BP Employees. You know, secretaries, janitors, engineers, platform workers, kitchen workers and thousands of other employees. Not a cent came from a BP sponsored PAC.

Your kind are so dirty.

Your kind hate this country.

What is it that makes the right wing such filthy people?

NY Times falsely reports that Obama took BP PAC money for 2008 campaign
June 19, 2010 1:07 pm ET

The New York Times reported that "in the 2008 election cycle," Barack Obama "took in $77,000" from BP "executives and its political action committee." In fact, Obama received $71,051 in BP-linked donations in 2008, and all of that money came from BP employees, not from BP's PAC, according to the nonpartisan Center for Responsive Politics.

NY Times falsely reports that Obama took BP PAC money for 2008 campaign | Media Matters for America

Lol! Man,you're actually kind of pathetic. Barack Obama did receive the most money from BP of any politician in America. This is just fact. Just because you don't want to accept this,it doesn't mean it's not fact. BP and this White House are the same entity. They're old buddies. You can't investigate one without investigating the other one too. I really do hope this happens. That Oil Spill calamity should no longer be allowed to be White Washed by the Democrats. Maybe things will change in November. God i hope so.

If this is true it's easily proven, LibocalypseNow. Post a fucking link or else you seem to be such a partisan hack you'd nuke the Gulf region if it would ding Obama's reputation.

Maddie, he's right. Obama did get contributions from BP - of course, the argument is that the donations are from individuals, not BP itself. As Obama himself pointed out "I don't take money from oil companies".... what he did not mention when announcing that is that, no politician took contributions from oil companies - because it's illegal. More political word play.

However, there's a decent article from the Guardian newspaper (left leaning newspaper in the UK)

BP oil spill cost hits nearly $10bn | Business | guardian.co.uk

This makes some interesting points..... including this:

BP also said payouts to people affected by the spill such as fishermen, hoteliers and retailers had dramatically increased since it handed over authority for dispensing funds to a White House appointee.

BP has set up a $20bn compensation fund, which has so far paid out 19,000 claims totalling more than $240m. The fund is run by lawyer Kenneth Feinberg, the Obama administration's former executive pay tsar.

The oil company previously paid out about $3.5m a day in compensation, but this has risen to $12.5m a day since Feinberg took over.

Hayward was correct when he said he expected illegitimate claims. Interesting how the amounts being paid out skyrocketed after control of the fund was handed over to the US Government. It's so much easier to spend money when it isn't yours that your spending - and you have a big dog in the hunt, ie votes.

Let's also bear in mind that the two US companies, Haliburton (those evil demons to the left) and Transocean are both getting off scott free in this mess. Why is that? There has been no outcome from the investigation into responsibility as yet. BP are held as a scapegoat - mainly because they are not a US company.

There are huge questions that have not even been asked, yet alone answered yet. I know those questions. Most in the media know those questions. Why isn't anyone asking them? More to the point, why isn't anyone answering them?

Maddie, he's right. Obama did get contributions from BP - of course, the argument is that the donations are from individuals, not BP itself. As Obama himself pointed out "I don't take money from oil companies".... what he did not mention when announcing that is that, no politician took contributions from oil companies - because it's illegal. More political word play.

However, there's a decent article from the Guardian newspaper (left leaning newspaper in the UK)

BP also said payouts to people affected by the spill such as fishermen, hoteliers and retailers had dramatically increased since it handed over authority for dispensing funds to a White House appointee.

BP has set up a $20bn compensation fund, which has so far paid out 19,000 claims totalling more than $240m. The fund is run by lawyer Kenneth Feinberg, the Obama administration's former executive pay tsar.

The oil company previously paid out about $3.5m a day in compensation, but this has risen to $12.5m a day since Feinberg took over.

Hayward was correct when he said he expected illegitimate claims. Interesting how the amounts being paid out skyrocketed after control of the fund was handed over to the US Government. It's so much easier to spend money when it isn't yours that your spending - and you have a big dog in the hunt, ie votes.

Let's also bear in mind that the two US companies, Haliburton (those evil demons to the left) and Transocean are both getting off scott free in this mess. Why is that? There has been no outcome from the investigation into responsibility as yet. BP are held as a scapegoat - mainly because they are not a US company.

There are huge questions that have not even been asked, yet alone answered yet. I know those questions. Most in the media know those questions. Why isn't anyone asking them? More to the point, why isn't anyone answering them?

I think Feinberg and the claims handling process would make an excellent thread, CG. I might agree with LibocalypseNow as well about Obama's contributors if he'd post some documentation. I just get frustrated with people who use everything and anything to further their attacks on one pol or another -- the oil spill is (or should be) as nonpartisan an issue as any of us will see in our lifetimes.

Actually, I QUOTED the "Mother Nature Network". See:

The U.S. House of Representatives voted 420-1 to give the presidential commission investigating the BP oil spill full subpoena power. In the Senate the move was blocked by Republicans.

Senate Republicans block BP investigation | MNN - Mother Nature Network

YouTube - BP Investigation Blocked By Senate

------------------------------------------------

But the truth is, you called me a liar for not posting a link.

And you said twice: This all happened a month ago. Are you really this fucking stupid?

You didn't even read the links I posted. Do you know how? The meeting happened yesterday, today and will continue tomorrow.

I posted the links and you never apologized.

Do you see how good the Republicans and the right wing is at "swerving away" and "dodging the truth". They are masters of "slight of hand" and misleading statements.

Never put up links. Just lies and untruths. They work for that "gotcha moment". No substance.

Yes rdean, don't melt down now. they did have a meeting. they also had subpoena powers. Can you show us a recent news story that says they don't? Because we discussed this at length a month ago and the Republicans did go ahead and suport this after they read the bill. Please do try to keep up.

Presidential panel probes spill causes, response
Monday, September 27, 2010 at 9:35 AM by Jennifer A. Dlouhy in Gulf oil disaster

During today’s wide-ranging hearing, the eight-member panel also is set to grill scientists and administration officials about the amount of oil that for three months flowed from the blown-out well into the Gulf of Mexico.

So far, the panel has been operating without the power to subpoena documents and compel testimony from reluctant witnesses. Lawmakers have pushed legislation to give subpoena power to the commission, but their proposal has stalled on Capitol Hill amid other disputes.

Presidential panel probes spill causes, response - Texas on the Potomac

---------------------------------------

Only SFC Ollie could look at the truth and so blatantly call it a lie.

Don't worry. I don't expect you to admit you're wrong.

This is me:

This is you:
too fucking stupid
your linked story is WRONG

I think Feinberg and the claims handling process would make an excellent thread, CG. I might agree with LibocalypseNow as well about Obama's contributors if he'd post some documentation. I just get frustrated with people who use everything and anything to further their attacks on one pol or another -- the oil spill is (or should be) as nonpartisan an issue as any of us will see in our lifetimes.

I don't really bother with the whole BP oil spill thing much.... generally, Americans are far too hysterical about it to be able to logically think and analyze information about it. It's easier just to scream about the evil that is BP. I find that ridiculous beyond belief. But... it is fact that Obama took substantial amounts from BP employees - and the evidence is available, and has been provided on this board on a number of occasions.

LibocalypseNow claimed Obama took money directly from the company and in greater amounts than any pol before him. Preposterous gibberish, I suspect. On a thread we're using to bash our favorite lefty agent provacateur, seems only right to take our favorite righty one to the woodshed as well.

LibocalypseNow claimed Obama took money directly from the company and in greater amounts than any pol before him. Preposterous gibberish, I suspect. On a thread we're using to bash our favorite lefty agent provacateur, seems only right to take our favorite righty one to the woodshed as well.

It is not preposterous gibberish, mo chara.

Obama biggest recipient of BP cash - Erika Lovley - POLITICO.com

Whether you like the 'source' or not, the figures are what they are.... accurate.

Whether you like the 'source' or not, the figures are what they are.... accurate.

Well, this helps explain why Obama couldn't find his anger at the spill.

That's not it. The reason he can't find his anger is that his Administration has dirty hands in this whole affair. But, let's not let that fact get in the way of hysterical ranting about the evil oil company.

That's not it. The reason he can't find his anger is that his Administration has dirty hands in this whole affair. But, let's not let that fact get in the way of hysterical ranting about the evil oil company.

"Dirty hands" meaning what?

In what way?

I've already stated why in other threads. I'm not gonna get into it yet again. Most posters prefer to be spoon fed information by the media to finding out facts for themselves. (By that, I don't necessarily mean you) so I'm not inclined to go into stuff that the media choose not to talk about.

The U.S. House of Representatives voted 420-1 to give the presidential commission investigating the BP oil spill full subpoena power. In the Senate the move was blocked by Republicans.

----------------------------

A post at the bottom explained it:

Listen up people. Even though Democrats have the majority, there still needs to be 60 votes to bring legislation to a full vote. Once the full vote takes place, then you only need a majority. Since the Democrats do not have 60 senators in the senate, they always need Republican support to get a bill to the floor to be voted on. Failure to get the 60 votes is called a filibuster. The Republicans have banned together to ensure that the 60 votes needed to get the bill to the floor to be voted on by the full senate will not happen.
So wake up people. The Republicans do not want this investigated. The real question is why.

:cuckoo:

Accidents happen. Oh ... I forgot ... you're a parrot for the leftwingnut agenda. Nothing is EVER an accident unless it's YOU, right?

----------------------------

A post at the bottom explained it:

Listen up people. Even though Democrats have the majority, there still needs to be 60 votes to bring legislation to a full vote. Once the full vote takes place, then you only need a majority. Since the Democrats do not have 60 senators in the senate, they always need Republican support to get a bill to the floor to be voted on. Failure to get the 60 votes is called a filibuster. The Republicans have banned together to ensure that the 60 votes needed to get the bill to the floor to be voted on by the full senate will not happen.
So wake up people. The Republicans do not want this investigated. The real question is why.

Accidents happen. Oh ... I forgot ... you're a parrot for the leftwingnut agenda. Nothing is EVER an accident unless it's YOU, right?

Yes, they do. But what is interesting is the why of it all. Exactly why were BP drilling where they were drilling? No one asks that.... because the answer would not look good for this Administration - or the previous Administration.... The blame lies squarely with Congress. If anyone should be paying, it is our Congress critters..... but that would mean we foot the bill, and we can't have that, can we?

New Topics

Forum List

Back