Senate Republicans block BP investigation

R

rdean

The U.S. House of Representatives voted 420-1 to give the presidential commission investigating the BP oil spill full subpoena power. In the Senate the move was blocked by Republicans.

Senate Republicans block BP investigation | MNN - Mother Nature Network

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rORbqq_FHoM&feature]YouTube - BP Investigation Blocked By Senate[/ame]

----------------------------

Remember how many times I said this would happen? Republicans will probably get both houses this fall. BP will pay nothing. ALL costs will be born by the Middle Class.

A post at the bottom explained it:

Listen up people. Even though Democrats have the majority, there still needs to be 60 votes to bring legislation to a full vote. Once the full vote takes place, then you only need a majority. Since the Democrats do not have 60 senators in the senate, they always need Republican support to get a bill to the floor to be voted on. Failure to get the 60 votes is called a filibuster. The Republicans have banned together to ensure that the 60 votes needed to get the bill to the floor to be voted on by the full senate will not happen.
So wake up people. The Republicans do not want this investigated. The real question is why.

This is old news, unless i am confusing almost the exact same thing.

Yes Republicans blocked it in the Senate until the republican leadership had time to read it.

They then, a day or 2 later allowed the vote to go forward.

Move on folks there is no story here......

Most Republicans on this site would prefer the American Middle Class pay. They don't want to upset BP. It's a "company" after all. A big one.

Yes Republicans blocked it in the Senate until the republican leadership had time to read it.

O for pity's sake...I feel foolish now!

Damn you, rdean!!!

maybe the pres should just issue an executive order.....

Doesn't it have to be "funded"?

No, a subpoena does not require any funding. I'm not sure why the Presidential Commission lacks this power or why they needed a new law to use it, but the Republicans should NOT NOT NOT be trying to shield BP from a full investigation of the spill.

Weeee haaa----you mean it won't cost a dime to investigate BP ? What a deal !

"As time passes, people's memories fade," West said. "It's just a natural thing. The subjects of the investigation (BP and senior managers) have had over a month to sanitize records and get stories straight."
West said there should have also been a subpoena immediately issued for emails and other documents that may shed light on the events leading up to the spill and the discussions that took place afterwards.
"The thing that has brought most criminals down is their email," West said. "The first thing you do is grab the servers so they can't be doctored. But this company does not appear to be under a court order to produce or preserve so what's to stop them from tampering with potential evidence?"
In fact, Congress has already been informed that seven hours of data leading up to the explosion aboard Deepwater Horizon is now missing.

t r u t h o u t | Ex-EPA Officials: Why Isn't BP Under Criminal Investigation?

----------------------------------------------------

You're right. The window of opportunity has probably already faded. BP got away with a big one. Shows the power corporations have over the Republican Party.

Damn you, rdean!!!

Don't feel to bad Madeline, it did come from rdean after all. We had quite a thread on this about a month ago. Maybe even 6 weeks back.....

Damn you, rdean!!!

that's cause you izz foolish.

Damn you, rdean!!!

Don't feel to bad Madeline, it did come from rdean after all. We had quite a thread on this about a month ago. Maybe even 6 weeks back.....

oh fuck, yadon'tsay? we had another thread about this? and that stupid fuck rdean didn't check?

They should investigate this Administration instead. Who took the most cash from BP of any politician in America? Drum Roll please...Hopey Changey Barack Obama! A dirty little secret the corrupt MSM has of course refused to discuss. Hopefully the Republicans will regain some power in November and begin to really investigate that awful Oil Spill mess. So far it has all been a Democrat White Wash. If you investigate BP you must also investigate this White House. The Democrats are just trying to deflect everything on BP to cover for their own shocking incompetence. Wait til after November and then investigate both BP and this White House. I'm good with that approach.

Doesn't it have to be "funded"?

No, a subpoena does not require any funding. I'm not sure why the Presidential Commission lacks this power or why they needed a new law to use it, but the Republicans should NOT NOT NOT be trying to shield BP from a full investigation of the spill.

Weeee haaa----you mean it won't cost a dime to investigate BP ? What a deal !

It'll cost money for lawyers, scientists and their support staff, their offices and equipment, etc. but a subpoena is a not "funded". If I had a legitimate lawsuit, I could subpoena all the IRS drafts of regulations for the last 20 years, and they'd have to supply them to me, free of charge.

Sometimes you can seek relief from unduly burdensome discovery, but not often.

Damn you, rdean!!!

They are pulling your leg.

The president's commission met today on BP to try to figure out their options without subpoena power. The President had subpoena power for the 9/11 Commission, for 3-Mile Island. They don't have it for BP because it was blocked by Republicans.

That means that we have to rely on what ever BP is kind enough to share with us.

If you look at the Republican's "Plague on America", there is nothing about alternate energy or environmental protection. They simply don't care about these things.

We watched this oil spill for months. What have you heard about it in the so-called "liberal" media for the last couple of months. Seems the "liberal" media may not be so "liberal" after all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Investigate this Administration instead. Maybe after November this can happen. Make 2010 count people.

Damn you, rdean!!!

The president's commission met today on BP to try to figure out their options without subpoena power. The President had subpoena power for the 9/11 Commission, for 3-Mile Island. They don't have it for BP because it was blocked by Republicans.

That means that we have to rely on what ever BP is kind enough to share with us.

If you look at the Republican's "Plague on America", there is nothing about alternate energy or environmental protection. They simply don't care about these things.

We watched this oil spill for months. What have you heard about it in the so-called "liberal" media for the last couple of months. Seems the "liberal" media may not be so "liberal" after all.

rdean, you are a damned liar. post a link with todays date on it. i just spent more time than necessary looking and the only stories on this i can find is from a month ago. Please bring us up to date or at least apologize for being an idiot.

Damn you, rdean!!!

rdean, you are a damned liar. post a link with todays date on it. i just spent more time than necessary looking and the only stories on this i can find is from a month ago. Please bring us up to date or at least apologize for being an idiot.

I can't. At least not yet. I just watched this on the news. It's why I posted it.

What is it you think I'm lying about? What did i say that was so threatening?

Forum List

Back