Contumacious

Radical Freedom
Aug 16, 2009
Adjuntas, PR , USA
Senate Finance Committee Rejects Both Public Option Amendments

By William Branigin

Washington Post Staff Writer

Tuesday, September 29, 2009; 4:50 PM

The Senate Finance Committee on Tuesday rejected two Democratic amendments that would have created a government-run "public option" as part an overhaul of the nation's health-insurance system, with the panel's chairman bowing to staunch Republican opposition that he said would prevent final passage of a bill containing such a provision

* Senate panel rejects amendment on public option
* Panel opens second week of debate on healthcare reform

* Other healthcare bills in Congress include public option

The two votes in the Senate Finance Committee were the first of several battles expected in Congress over a public insurance option, a flashpoint in the raging U.S. debate over President Barack Obama's top domestic priority.

Democratic Chairman Max Baucus opposed both amendments, and said Democrats could not muster the 60 Senate votes needed to clear Republican procedural hurdles and pass a healthcare reform bill if it includes the public option.

"I can count," Baucus said. "No one has been able to show me how they can count up to 60 votes with a public option in the bill."

Supporters of the option disagreed and said they expected more success when the issue is taken up in the full Senate and the House of Representatives, where House Speaker Nancy Pelosi has vowed the public option will be included in a final bill.

"The more the American people hear about the public option, the more they like it," said Democratic Senator Charles Schumer, who sponsored one of the amendments.

The Senate Finance plan by Baucus is the only healthcare reform bill pending in Congress that does not have a public insurance plan, which Obama and other backers say would boost competition for insurers.

Republican critics say the public option would devastate the private insurance industry and ultimately lead to a government takeover of the sector.
UPDATE 2-US Senate panel rejects public healthcare option | Markets | Markets News | Reuters

That's just one bill that couldn't even make it out of committee. There are 4 others. This one stinks.

That's just one bill that couldn't even make it out of committee. There are 4 others. This one stinks.
Yep...funny thing...the public option is popular among the masses. But the Baucuas bill sucked big time.

The public option will happen one day, simply because there's no other way.

Yep...funny thing...the public option is popular among the masses. But the Baucuas bill sucked big time.

Germany and Switzerland do just fine without a public option. So obviously, there IS another way.

Care to explain that?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9GMKK_fWKg"]ABC's John Stossel Destroys/Pulverizes/Crushes Obama's anti-American 'Health Care' Plan[/ame]

I hate to break this to you, but there hasnt been a public option for the past 10000 years of human history and we've done quite fine.

So if you think there is no other way, then you're just plain stupid.

Germany and Switzerland do just fine without a public option. So obviously, there IS another way.

Care to explain that?

Both countries run not for profit carriers that make money on administering the plans. So they aren't effectively any different than a public option with contracted administrative personnel.

I hate to break this to you, but there hasnt been a public option for the past 10000 years of human history and we've done quite fine.

You're an abject moron.

Care to explain that?

Both countries run not for profit carriers that make money on administering the plans. So they aren't effectively any different than a public option with contracted administrative personnel.
Yes, they are different from what has been proposed here.

Vastly.

And the US has not for profit medical insurance. Nothing new there. It's just not government run.

Germany and Switzerland do not have a public option comparable to what's being proposed here. It's also not compulsory, with possible jail time for you if you don't comply.

If the public option were popular, it would have passed.
As it is, people know what it is all about, the first step to gov't take over.
Half the legislators won't vote for a plan with it.
Half won't vote for a plan without it.
Obama has of course provided no leadership, despite claiming to.
This thing is doomed. And about time.

You're an abject moron.

You'd think someone named veritas would be concerned about the truth rather than casting insults about.

I hope you are right, but I am afraid this thing has at least eight more lives and if we aren't careful, sometime between life 2 and life 9, Pelosi and Reid will get wise and pass this damned thing in the middle of the night.

Immie

You're an abject moron.

You'd think someone named veritas would be concerned about the truth rather than casting insults about.

Avitar, with your behavior here, think very carefully the next time you get asked the "having you been dealing honestly with other persons in all of your dealings" question.

I hope you are right, but I am afraid this thing has at least eight more lives and if we aren't careful, sometime between life 2 and life 9, Pelosi and Reid will get wise and pass this damned thing in the middle of the night.

Immie

That would pretty much assure their downfall.
Look, as much as the Democratic leadership want to blame, bully and threaten the Republicans, the GOP is not their problem. They could pass it easily without any GOP support. It is their own party members, the people who put them in power, who are holding this up. It is the downside of a winning strategy that involved running more conservative candidates in conservative districts. You end up with a putative majority but most of them will vote like republicans anyway.

You're an abject moron.

Avitar, with your behavior here, think very carefully the next time you get asked the "having you been dealing honestly with other persons in all of your dealings" question.

haha. that's a riot. So I'm dishonest because I point out the illogic of Ravi's position? How amusing.

Maybe you should repent and come to Christ, and worry about your own Eternal destiny, and Ill worry about mine.

Immie

That would pretty much assure their downfall.
Look, as much as the Democratic leadership want to blame, bully and threaten the Republicans, the GOP is not their problem. They could pass it easily without any GOP support. It is their own party members, the people who put them in power, who are holding this up. It is the downside of a winning strategy that involved running more conservative candidates in conservative districts. You end up with a putative majority but most of them will vote like republicans anyway.

Agreed, but let's face the facts. They are to arrogant to understand that.

Immie

Forum List

Back