Senate Judiciary Committee Votes 13-5 to Confirm Roberts

-Cp

Sep 23, 2004
Earth
WASHINGTON — The Senate Judiciary Committee voted 13-5 on Thursday to confirm John Roberts to be the chief justice of the United States Supreme Court. The full Senate will vote on the nomination on Monday.

Roberts won the support of all 10 Republicans on the committee and three Democrats -- Ranking Minority Patrick Leahy of Vermont, Herb Kohl and Russ Feingold, both of Wisconsin.

Senate Judiciary Chairman Arlen Specter (search), R-Pa., called Leahy "my courageous colleague" for supporting Roberts, saying the nominee has the ability to end the Supreme Court's recent 5-4 splits on issues important to Americans.

"I think he has a real sense for building consensus," said Specter.

Prior to the vote, lawmakers gave several speeches explaining their position. Sen. Joseph Biden said he would oppose Roberts' confirmation because he did not believe the nominee adequately answered questions during last week's confirmation hearings.

"The judge pointed out he's not standing for election, but in truth he is standing for election," Biden of Delaware told his fellow committee members on Thursday. Biden said while he did not doubt Roberts' qualifications for the job, as a representative of the American people he could not vote for Roberts without knowing more about his stance on the right to privacy.

Read the rest:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,170110,00.html

You know, sometimes i think Specter is a total idiot. The Chief Justice isn't meant to "Build consensus" He is there to follow the law, and to lead the other justices to follow the law with him.

Forum List

Back