Senate ignores McCain, keeps thousands in earmarks

Zoom-boing

Platinum Member
Oct 30, 2008
East Japip
Senate ignores McCain, keeps thousands in earmarks

WASHINGTON – The Senate voted overwhelmingly to preserve thousands of earmarks in a $410 billion spending bill on Tuesday, brushing aside Sen. John McCain's claim that President Barack Obama and Congress are merely conducting business as usual in a time of economic hardship.

McCain's attempt to strip out an estimated 8,500 earmarks failed on a vote of 63-32. The Arizona senator's proposal also would have cut roughly $32 billion from the measure and kept spending at last year's levels in several federal agencies.

Last year's Republican presidential candidate said both he and Obama pledged during the campaign to "stop business as usual in Washington," and he quoted the president as having said he would go line by line to make sure money was spent wisely.

The White House has said that Obama intends to sign the legislation, casting it as leftover business from 2008. Spokesman Robert Gibbs pledged on Monday the White House will issue new guidelines covering earmarks for future bills.

"How does anyone justify some of these earmarks: $1.7 million for pig odor research in Iowa; $2 million "for the promotion of astronomy" in Hawaii; $6.6 million for termite research in New Orleans; $2.1 million for the Center for Grape Genetics in New York," he said.

He also noted the legislation includes 14 earmarks requested by lawmakers for projects sought by PMA Group, a lobbying company at the center of a federal corruption investigation.

Is this spending a separate one from the $787 billion dollar 'stimulus' one?

Only 32 Repubs and 2 Dems voted yes to stop this. Shows the Repubs love their pork just as much as the Dems. Both parties make me want to vomit.

The earmark issue has been a thorny one for Obama, who successfully urged lawmakers to pass an economic stimulus bill without them. He deferred to lawmakers on the legislation now moving through Congress, but his aides have worked to make it appear that he is merely acquiescing in what lawmakers and the White House had been prepared to do at the end of the Bush administration.

Really?? Obama sure does have a funny definition of what constitutes 'pork' and what constitutes 'stimulus'. Obama cries bullshit once again...

Finding the Pork in the Obama Stimulus Bill - US News and World Report

Last edited:
If anyone wondered whether Obama and the Democrats controlling Congress care about America, now we know.

Not like republicans cared all too much with TARP and the bank bailouts though.

Again, the government spending way more than it should is why we're in this mess, and spending more will simply destroy more and more jobs. If only the government would let the market operate, and then people would be employed with that $787 billion instead of it being squandered. Does Obama really want to see more unemployed? It seems so.

If anyone wondered whether Obama and the Democrats controlling Congress care about America, now we know.

Not like republicans cared all too much with TARP and the bank bailouts though.

Again, the government spending way more than it should is why we're in this mess, and spending more will simply destroy more and more jobs. If only the government would let the market operate, and then people would be employed with that $787 billion instead of it being squandered. Does Obama really want to see more unemployed? It seems so.

The Republicans are the reason the tax and spend Democrats were able to assume power. As I've said several times before, I seriously doubt I will ever vote for a Republican again.

The ominbus bill was written in December. There are more dollars in republican earmarks than democratic. There are fewer republicans than democrats. 6 of the ten highest earmarks are from republicans.

The percent/number of earmarks that Obama said he would allow, he met. The total number or earmarks under the republican congress was over triple what is in this one.

Enough of the right wing hipocrisy.

Last edited:
The ominbus bill was written in December. There are more dollars in republican earmarks than democratic. There are fewer republicans than democrats. 6 of the ten highest earmarks are from republicans.

The percent/number of earmarks that Obama said he would allow, he met. The total number or earmarks under the republican congress was over triple what is in this one.

You are such a DUmbazz.. it was McCain a Republican who tried to stop them DUmbazz,, it was the Democrats who ignored him.. DUMBAZZ AND it will be guess who?? that signs them into law after promising to do away with earmarks,, he is such a big fat liar..

Since when are republicans conservative? They're a bunch of liberal, big-government spenders too... as confirmed by the many people they forced out of work to finance wars, entitlements (medicare), huge deficits, bailouts for anyone and everyone, stimulus packages, allowed fractional-reserve banking to continue, and the list goes on. Of course, in your world, when a Democrat were to do all the things Republicans have been doing in the last eight years, it'll suddenly have a profoundly different effect? :cuckoo:

No willow, your remarks are dumbazz. You can't even refute my comments. You just like to ramble.

Lay off the katnip.

The Republicans are the reason the tax and spend Democrats were able to assume power. As I've said several times before, I seriously doubt I will ever vote for a Republican again.

I'm with you on that. All I'm hoping for at this point is enough local and state office holders who are strong enough to tell Washington DC to go 'F' themselves.

I continue to marvel that some of you continue to whine about earmarks found in a stimulus package for the entire USA while the banks can expect a stimulus which is TEN TIMES bigger than the rest of the nation is getting combined.

Zoom?

Are you missing the first for the trees here? You're complaining about earmarks amounting to peanuts while the Banks are getting the peanut plantation.

Why is that?

The ominbus bill was written in December
It doesn't matter when it was written. The Obama promised to go "line by line" on the budget. It's said now that he will "hold his nose" and sign this one anyway. That's exactly what Bush did for eight years.

Both Bush during his term and The Obama right now could really use line-item veto power. Or even Paygo, which Dems in Congress whined "the Republicans killed" for the last four years, yet haven't brought it back even though they've had the majority for over two years, and have all the power now.

I continue to marvel that some of you continue to whine about earmarks found in a stimulus package for the entire USA while the banks can expect a stimulus which is TEN TIMES bigger than the rest of the nation is getting combined.

Zoom?

Are you missing the first for the trees here? You're complaining about earmarks amounting to peanuts while the Banks are getting the peanut plantation.

Why is that?

I have complained about the banks handouts, guess you missed those posts. I was against them when Bush pushed it through (with nary a forethought of accountability from the banks). I'm against it now. Just how many times are they going to throw money at the problem? The auto handouts? While they are loans, I am still not convinced that bailing out a business that managed itself into shambles is wise. Ford is the only automaker that didnt' accept uncles help and they are the only auto maker doing well ('well', under the circumstances).

Why do you insist that the earmarks are 'peanuts'? You and Obama are like minded on this. When compared against billions, sure millions seems like chump change. But millions add up to billions. Don't you think Obama and congress should put their money where their mouth is and STOP the earmarks for now? As far as I can see, they don't even know the meaning of the word restraint. Why is it that I have done everything I possibly can to reduce my bills and my outflow of cash (you know, because times are tough) . . . and Obama and congress seem to think that this simply does not apply to them? Talk is cheap, it's what you do that counts. They are acting like drunken sailors on leave. Their careless and apparently non-stop spending spree is gonna leave on hell of a hangover. Maybe you're ok with that; I'm not.

I said this in other posts . . . I honestly don't think Obama has a clue what to do to solve the current problems. His best effort is to continually throw money at it and hope something happens. But I don't think he necessarily cares. His words are meaningless . . . his actions are not. His agenda and his priority is the biggest government possible and he will do whatever it takes to accomplish this goal. Everything else is secondary.

Yes it is. This one is the budget, the omnibus spending package. Totally separate deal from the "stimulus" which I call "The Command and Control Act of 2009."

Thanks. I keep hearing different terms (spending bill, omnibus spending package, budget) and wasn't sure if they were pertaining to different things or just one thing using different names.

Hi Zoom:

Only 32 Repubs and 2 Dems voted yes to stop this. Shows the Repubs love their pork just as much as the Dems. Both parties make me want to vomit.

The U.S. Economy was wired for “Implosion” by Bernanke and Paulson back in September of 2008 and NOTHING Congress or anyone can do now will stop the Second Great Depression from becoming the New Reality. Both sides of the isle now realize that We The People are being raped without mercy, so our Republican and Democratic Representatives (corrupt to the core) are all kicking back to help us enjoy the ride . . .

GL,

Terral

Most of you good posts I am glad to know you see that the earmark problem does not belong to any one party but to both. But it is good that Democratic Senator Russ Feingold, Republican Senator John McCain, and Republican Representative Paul Ryan are trying to push a line item veto bill that is really what is needed. This would hold congress accountable for any additions/earmarks put into a bill.

Forum List

Back