Senate Health Care Bill Dead on Arrival

I saw a good article in teh WSJ talking about how Nan doesn't have the votes and she knows it.

Very tricky situation.... bad news for Dems if they shove this down the collective Amercan throat... and if they can't, still bad news because it shows they can't deliver even when they have a majority.

As for the Republicans? Good news either way.

But.. good news for America as this looks like it is DOA. Perhaps we can come back to Earth and actually talk about solutions and reforms as opposed to government takeovers and taxes.

Then there's this:

Dem plan to pair health reform, student lending complicates vote - TheHill.com

But this out today:

The projected cost of Obama's plan to expand Pell Grants and diminish the role of the private sector in the student loan program has exploded over the past year as more people seek college loans in the weak economy. Meanwhile, the potential savings from knocking private lenders out of the system has diminished as one in five colleges has already turned to government lending.

Rather than saving $50 billion over the next decade, the student loan initiative is now projected to increase deficits by about $5 billion, according to preliminary estimates provided to Democratic lawmakers. Including it in the health-care package could wreck efforts to meet the deficit-reduction goals required under reconciliation, aides said.

Advocates of the loan program urged congressional budget leaders Tuesday simply to use the old estimate when putting the reconciliation package together. But Conrad resisted, according to people familiar with the meeting, arguing it is no longer valid.

washingtonpost.com

Hope they put it in so it will nail the coffin shut.

If they redid it, without the kickbacks, special favors to unions and senators, and it actually addressed costs, people might support it.

Pelosi: Democrats close to health care deal - Health care reform- msnbc.com

I'm sorry, but if I'm expected to accept Fox News and WSJ as "News..." Both owned by Rupert Murdock... Then you too must accept MSNBC as "News."
Dr House wins the bet, I said I didn't believe anyone was fool enough to play the 'FOX NEWS' gambit, and he was sure it would come.

oooooh Xeno, you're so clever. Well I'm clearly outgunned here.

So let me assume your position is that Fox is reliable, and MSNBC is biased, therefore your link is valid and my link is not. Sound about right?

Glad to see FoxNews is declaring it dead....they must be scared

oooooh Xeno, you're so clever. Well I'm clearly outgunned here.
Its not a matter of being 'outgunned.'

What you did was childish.

So let me assume your position is that Fox is reliable, and MSNBC is biased, therefore your link is valid and my link is not. Sound about right?
You are again assuming.

You need to read a lot more of the posting of the people here before you start claimimg you know them, and no, i won't do your homework for you.

Very tricky situation.... bad news for Dems if they shove this down the collective Amercan throat... and if they can't, still bad news because it shows they can't deliver even when they have a majority.

As for the Republicans? Good news either way.

Obama and the Democrats are the most inept politicians in history. They have managed to make this a lose-lose proposition for themselves.
The things that make this bill a loser in the House are the very things that made it pass in the Senate.
Nancy can sing she is close all she wants. She doesn't have the votes. And asking Democrats to trust her to fix the issues after the vote is asking a lot. I wouldn't trust her. Why would anyone?

Nancy can sing she is close all she wants. She doesn't have the votes. And asking Democrats to trust her to fix the issues after the vote is asking a lot. I wouldn't trust her. Why would anyone?

The sad reality is that the process to push this bill has nothing to do with trust. The game plan consists of Threats, Bribes, Intimidation, and Shell Games (in addition to a great deal of Prevarication).

I dunno if it's dead or not, but there's plenty of pressure on House Dims and it's going to be interesting to see how it eventually shakes out.

Keep in mind the following:

Blue Dogs are concerned about the hundreds of billions the Senate bill will add to the deficit...

Some Dims worry about facing their constituents who won't benefit from the "Cadillac" insurance protections offered to some - primarily union members - but not them. By voting for the bill you helped them but not us, and now you want our votes to help you get reelected?...

Pro-lifer Dims who don't like the abortion-funding in the Senate bill...

Dims from Republican-leaning districts have to face voters upset with the Cornhusker kickback and Louisiana purchase backroom deals...

But not to worry you worried Dim representatives. After all, both Barry and Pelosi have recently urged you to vote for it in spite of the fact that your seat's on the line in only 7 short months. Just walk the plank for us because it's the right thing to do for the country, in spite of overwhelming poll evidence to the opposite.

And then keep in mind 83 House Dims are from districts carried by McCain and Bush in the last two presidential elections, and 40-something of those also went for Bush in 2000. How many of those reps will be willing to walk off the cliff for Barry, and then have justify it to their voters who've supported Republican presidential candidates? Talk about a tough sell!

Yep, it sure is going to be an interesting vote one of these days soon.

It is dead.... and so is the Democrat Party. They have proven themselves an abysmal failure.
If the Republicans can muster some balls (not sure they can) and move forward with some hard solutions (which will involve some serious belt tightening, espeicially for those working in the pucblic sector) ... the Dems may be irrelevant for a generation or better.

But, we'll ALL be better off. We can't keep promising something for nothing to everybody, to be paid for on the backs of a few....

It is dead.... and so is the Democrat Party.
C'mon man, the democrat party will not be dead as a result of this. The MSM was declaring the republican party dead just a year and a half ago, now look. All it takes is some degree of fuck-uppery from one party for the majority of the country to forget how bad the other party was as well and elect them back in, hoping they've learned a thing or two from being the minority party for the last 4 years or so.

The democrats will lose big in 2010 and will probably lose in 2012 too, but then it's just a matter of time before the republicans fall off their pedestal, clearing the way for the democrats to rise up again. Rinse and repeat.

Forum List

Back