Senate GOP Warns They Will Shut Down The Senate

Nope, I don't like it either, QWB.

I do think, though, that when someone wants to filibuster, he or she has to get on their feet and stay there.

That would require lots of people to sit around and listen, which is the real reason they changed the rules.

What? You want Congress to actually DO SOME FUCKING WORK FOR A CHANGE?

SITTING AROUND AND LISTENING TO, AS WELL AS PARTICIPATING IN, IS THEIR FUCKING JOB!!!!!!!

However...........................I could be wrong. Only having to "work" 109 days this year?

Good work if you can get it.

Nope, I don't like it either, QWB.

I do think, though, that when someone wants to filibuster, he or she has to get on their feet and stay there.

That would require lots of people to sit around and listen, which is the real reason they changed the rules.

What? You want Congress to actually DO SOME FUCKING WORK FOR A CHANGE?

SITTING AROUND AND LISTENING TO, AS WELL AS PARTICIPATING IN, IS THEIR FUCKING JOB!!!!!!!

However...........................I could be wrong. Only having to "work" 109 days this year?

Good work if you can get it.

They are Senators, they don't want to do their job.

Lowering the closing of a debate to a simple majority is a constitutional option.

I assume you considered that a legitimate option regarding the Bork nomination for SCOTUS?

See those words I used? A "constitutional option." Guess where I got those from?

Journey back in time with me to 2005: Cheney Enters Filibuster Fight, Backing Change in Senate Rules

Senator Harry Reid of Nevada, the Democratic minority leader, responded by accusing Mr. McConnell of bluffing and President Bush of lying.

"Last week, I met with the president and was encouraged when he told me he would not become involved in Republican efforts to break the Senate rules," Mr. Reid said in a statement, referring to a conversation at a breakfast meeting between the president and Congressional leaders. "Now, it appears he was not being honest, and that the White House is encouraging this raw abuse of power."

Current Senate rules require 60 votes to close debate on a confirmation, allowing Democrats to thwart the action by mustering 41 votes. Republicans want to lower the threshold for closing debate on all nominations to a simple majority. Democrats call this the nuclear option, while Republicans call this a constitutional option.

"Republicans call this a constitutional option". :D

Hypocrisy on both sides.

I was going to wait and let the retards defend the positions of their masters on the filibuster issue, but...what the hell.

Both sides hope everyone is too stupid to remember their previous positions on filibusters.

Where's the hypocrisy on the Democrats side? They just changed their minds and agree with the Republicans now. Its not hypocrisy to be convinced by the other side that you are wrong, is it?

Republicans - we now agree with you - its ok to end the cloture rule with a majority vote.

The whole point of the filibuster rules was to preclude a simple majority from running over the minority position.

No it wasn't. The filibuster came about as an unintended consequence of Senate rules that allowed unlimited debate. The first actual filibuster didn't happen for over 3 decades after the rules which allow it were put into place.

Cloture was created to as a means to end filibusters.

Every new COngress makes its own rules. There's nothing in the Constitution that requires this Senate to have the same rules as the last one.

Last edited:
Anything that keeps Reid from his extremist agenda is to be applauded.

Yanno......................I really DO hope that the GOP manages to shut down the Senate.

It will be easier for the Dems to take over both the Senate and the House if they keep on with this obstructionism.

And yeah.....................I hope that old ass idiot McConnell is sent home packing in 2014.

Article I clearly states the Senate makes its own rules.

The Dems or the GOP, when in the majority, can change the rules without the 60-vote cloture rule.

Filibuster rules will be modified, Congress will be able to do its job

Life will go on

Forum List

Back