Senate Dems ax bipartisan jobs bill

Well, I am sort of with Hairy on this one. The bi partisan bill was mostly just bi partisan pork. We don't really need that kind of bill.

Its a prelude, the word is the dems plan on committing political suicide and will go forward with 'reconciliation'.

They are pulling the bipartisan bills in the hopes of making it look like the GoP won't agree to anything to the public, and they hope to get public support for 'reconciliation'.

The fireworks are just starting.

Bumping this because it really is a huge story.

Reid made it impossible for the GoP to add amendments (the Dems can) while dumping a carefully crafted bill that was truely bipartisan.

This is why I say we should quarantine Washington.... No one gets elected to this government, and no bills are signed.... until we have destroyed the corruption. The US political system is infected with the virus of corruption and the quickest way to cure it is to stop it spreading and infecting anyone else.

Wow can it really get any worse than Reid & Pelosi? After all their blustery "Bi-Partisan" rhetoric,Reid does this? Are people really so dumb as to buy the Dem B.S.? What a scam.

Reid is doing the right thing here. This isn't about Republican politics, if they want to be a part of things, they need to leave special interests and their wingnut agenda behind.

The GOP is outraged that Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) spiked the bipartisan jobs bill unveiled on Thursday, dropping some of its major provisions. But what exactly was cut from the bill that made them so angry -- was it the loss of the COBRA subsidies or the unemployment extension?

No, it was the K Street Kickback, which extends huge tax credits to large corporations. Unlike the Louisiana Purchase or the Cornhusker Kickback, which won the support of Sens. Mary Landrieu (D-La.) and Ben Nelson (D-Neb.) for the health care reform bill, the K Street payoff is counted in the tens of billions of dollars, rather than a few hundred million. While Democratic senators come cheap, getting Republicans to buy into a jobs bill seems to cost taxpayers serious money.

One of the top priorities of Big Business lobbyists is the "tax extender" issue, the extension of expiring tax credits worth tens of billions of dollars to major corporations, which is favored by Republicans.

The K Street Kickback: The Giveaway That Reid Stripped From The Jobs Bill

Now why would supposed Indes here object to this?

"Bi-Partisanship" has become an empty & simple mantra just like their "Hope & Change" mantra. I think common sense thinking people can see that the Democrats are full of chit. Reid & Pelosi gotta go.

Reid is doing the right thing here. This isn't about Republican politics, if they want to be a part of things, they need to leave special interests and their wingnut agenda behind.

Hmmm...the Democratic leadership at the meeting argeed to the plan. A single leader thinks otherwise and the thing dies. Reid sounds like the special interest. I agree there is too much pork on both sides of this one. Reid didn't kill this one for any other reason than political advantage.

Hmmm...the Democratic leadership at the meeting argeed to the plan. A single leader thinks otherwise and the thing dies. Reid sounds like the special interest. I agree there is too much pork on both sides of this one. Reid didn't kill this one for any other reason than political advantage.

Parts of it:
The bigger bill got a decidedly mixed reception at a luncheon meeting of Democrats, many of whom were uncomfortable with supporting a bill containing so many provisions unrelated to creating jobs, including loans for chicken producers and aid to catfish farmers.

Why Republicans love pork so much?

Parts of it:
The bigger bill got a decidedly mixed reception at a luncheon meeting of Democrats, many of whom were uncomfortable with supporting a bill containing so many provisions unrelated to creating jobs, including loans for chicken producers and aid to catfish farmers.

Why Republicans love pork so much?

Chicken producers and catfish farmers? Sounds like jobs creation/saved under the President's definition. What's the beef? So it speak.

It does no good when Republicans complain of stupid jobs bills because they are excessive pork, that the Democrats can demonstrate that the Republicans are worse.

If you are going to do stupid, do it in smaller doses, not megadoses.

Not doing it at all is a better option of course.

So much for bipartisan co-operation.

Harry says his 'new' bill will be stripped down and cheaper, and of course nobody will see it until he wants a vote on it.

My Way News - Senate Dems ax bipartisan jobs bill

Your all-inclusive title is a misnomer. In fact, it is ONLY Harry Reid who dismisses bipartisan effort on the jobs bill. Just keeping you honest, as usual.

From posts made by the pro-democrat side, there was more than one opposed.

So much for bipartisan co-operation.

Harry says his 'new' bill will be stripped down and cheaper, and of course nobody will see it until he wants a vote on it.

My Way News - Senate Dems ax bipartisan jobs bill

Your all-inclusive title is a misnomer. In fact, it is ONLY Harry Reid who dismisses bipartisan effort on the jobs bill. Just keeping you honest, as usual.

From posts made by the pro-democrat side, there was more than one opposed.

In support of Reid's position, the Grassley-Baucus bill includes a lot of stuff that goes beyond jobs promotion, which eventually the public would learn about and compare to the first stimulus bill as containing too much costly pork, whether or not it actually does. The Baucus bill includes extensions to expiring tax provisions meant to woo Republicans, but when those amount to $31 billiion, that's revenue needed. We'll just have to wait to see how this plays out in the coming weeks.

If the previous bill failed to work, is compounding the fail a good idea? And if the previous bill did work, then why do we need this one?

I'm curious as to what happened to all the un-used money from the 787 billion dollar job creating stimulus bill? IS this bill really needed?

No it isn't Not all of the first stimulus was used. This bill is STIMULUS Part Deux. We don't need it, nor can we afford it. They just need to get out of the way and take the noose off of the necks of the people, and business.

They're KILLING this economy, and I belive it's on purpose.

House Dems at Odds Over Scaled-Down Senate Jobs Bill

Forum List

Back