Senate Democrats standing up against the "porkulus" bill!

oreo

Gold Member
Sep 15, 2008
rocky mountains
After house democrats passed this supposedly "stimulus" bill with all republicans in the house & 11 democrats voting against it--it then went to the senate for approval--in this "hurry up & get this done message from Obama".

It looks like senate Democrats are getting very uneasy about this bill. There are huge amounts of "pork" in it that has nothing to do with stimulating the economy.

One democrat senator from Nebraska--made a statement about spending 58 million taxpayer dollars (over 1/2 billion) for "smoking cessation." He askes how does this put Americans back to work? VERY GOOD QUESTION SENATOR!

Since I am an x-smoker, I have experience with smoking. No amount of education is going to stop a "current" smoker from smoking. They already know the health risks. No amount of lecturing is going to stop a "current" smoker from smoking. In fact, the only time a "current" smoker stops smoking is when they themselves really want too, & have the personal will-power to succeed. Maybe this 58 million is for President Obama who has been unsucessful at tossing those cigarettes?

At any rate--this rush bill is now in the hands of the senate with full pressure upon them from the Obama administration to pass it. Along with this 58 million there is much much more to this "porkulus bill--that has nothing to do with job creation."

So, if you're concerned it's time to look at this bill. If you don't like it, it's a very good idea to contact your senators & congress people to express your thoughts.

BTW--why the rush? Only a small fragment of this huge 813 billion dollar package is due to be spent this year--with the overwhelming majority to be spent in coming years?

I can't believe anyone else is not replying here? I mean 58 million dollars of this so-called stimulus package for smoking cessation. Come on people!

As a former attorney told me concerning theft of our livelyhood, "They are going to do what they want anyhow". The people signed them into office when they voted for them.

I agree the smoking cessation is BS, it was when they went after the tobacco company money too! Where did all that money go that the states got.

Pet projects. As far as the majority of the politicians go they could give a hoot what the people think. Most of them are already bought and paid for by tax dollars they already paid via previous pet Pork projects.

Last edited:
That much? I can help people stop smoking and save them money too.

Stop buying ciggarettes!

There. Now should I now get $58 Million for my efforts? Of course not.

Government isnt the answer. People are.

After house democrats passed this supposedly "stimulus" bill with all republicans in the house & 11 democrats voting against it--it then went to the senate for approval--in this "hurry up & get this done message from Obama".

It looks like senate Democrats are getting very uneasy about this bill. There are huge amounts of "pork" in it that has nothing to do with stimulating the economy.

One democrat senator from Nebraska--made a statement about spending 58 million taxpayer dollars (over 1/2 billion) for "smoking cessation." He askes how does this put Americans back to work? VERY GOOD QUESTION SENATOR!

Since I am an x-smoker, I have experience with smoking. No amount of education is going to stop a "current" smoker from smoking. They already know the health risks. No amount of lecturing is going to stop a "current" smoker from smoking. In fact, the only time a "current" smoker stops smoking is when they themselves really want too, & have the personal will-power to succeed. Maybe this 58 million is for President Obama who has been unsucessful at tossing those cigarettes?

At any rate--this rush bill is now in the hands of the senate with full pressure upon them from the Obama administration to pass it. Along with this 58 million there is much much more to this "porkulus bill--that has nothing to do with job creation."

So, if you're concerned it's time to look at this bill. If you don't like it, it's a very good idea to contact your senators & congress people to express your thoughts.

BTW--why the rush? Only a small fragment of this huge 813 billion dollar package is due to be spent this year--with the overwhelming majority to be spent in coming years?

Not to be a jerk, but every new 'non-smoker' is taking thousands of dollars of sales and taxes out of the economy. I know, those are my reasons for trying to quit.

I currently spend $32.05 every 8 days on cigs. If I get Chantix it will be like 3 prescriptions at $65. If works, that will be a decrease in consumption of approximately $129. per month, forever, minus $200 to do so.

Now how much of that $130 is taxes?

Forum List

Back