Senate Democrats Kill GOP Effort to Rein in Obama's Czars

Zoom-boing

Platinum Member
Oct 30, 2008
East Japip
Senate Democrats, under pressure from a White House arguing separation of powers, rejected a GOP attempt Thursday to provide greater transparency and congressional oversight of 18 czars appointed by the Obama administration without Senate confirmation.

Democrats employed a procedural tactic to kill the GOP proposal that would have withheld federal funds for the creation of any new, unconfirmed czar positions until the administration agreed to allow the individuals to testify before Congress under "reasonable" requests.

The proposal also would have required every czar to produce a detailed "public, written report" biannually of their actions and involvement in the creation of policy, rules, and regulations.

But Democrats used a Senate rule that prohibits legislating on a spending bill -- something that is often done by both political parties despite the rule -- to kill the measure.

Sen. Susan Collins, a moderate Republican from Maine who sponsored the amendment to a spending bill that funds the Interior Department, decried the move on the Senate floor, saying she was "deeply disappointed" in her Democratic colleagues.

"My amendment has been carefully tailored to cover officials that the president has unilaterally designated for significant policy matters," said Collins, who is the top Republican on the Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee.

"It would not have covered the president's chief of staff, for example, and it would not cover less senior White House officials, despite some misinformation to the contrary," Collins said, noting that her staff had worked with White House officials Wednesday night without agreement.

Senate Democratic Whip Dick Durbin, D-Ill., a close ally of the White House, was not convinced. He said he sensed a more politically-motivated attack by "czar watchers," invoking "the political wiseman" FOX News' Glenn Beck, as well as Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison, R-Texas, who Durbin said had found a larger number of czars than Collins, who detailed 18 unconfirmed czars for the record.

Durbin noted that both Beck, who he jokingly called a "political adviser," and Hutchison had come up with the same number of czars, 32, which included positions that are confirmed by the Senate.

"Who's going to define who is covered by your amendment?" Durbin implored. He also noted that the workload the Collins amendment would have imposed on the czars would be onerous.

But Democrats earlier in the week appeared to be on the cusp of accepting the amendment without objection.

Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., manager of the Interior spending bill, had told Collins that Democrats were prepared to include her amendment, though one objection had popped up. At the time, Collins told FOX News that it appeared to be a simple misunderstanding.

Soon after, it became clear the White House had objections. Feinstein told FOX News Thursday that the White House had told her to back off.

"It's a huge separation of powers issue," the California Democrat said. "I had no idea."

Durbin listed czars used by former President Bush, as well, which he said numbered 47, though Collins appeared to disagree, saying "there wasn't this kind of proliferation" under Bush. Collins said her effort would be the same no matter who occupied the White House.

"Regardless of whether it's a Democratic president or a Republican president, a Democratic Congress or a Republican Congress, I think this is an institutional issue," she said. "And I think all of us as members of Congress should be very concerned about organizational structures that make it impossible for us to conduct productive, conventional oversight."

Durbin refused to bend and instead offered a consolation prize.

"The good news is this: Our trusted friend Joe Lieberman (chairman of the committee on which Collins serves)...has promised a hearing on this issue," he said.

Senate Democrats Kill GOP Effort to Rein in Obama's Czars - Political News - FOXNews.com

As the Death Panel Czar, I approve of this course of action.

Seriously though, this is just Republicans hemming and hawwing with their own sort of political grandstanding. Democrats had Joe Wilson, Republicans have the Czars. Nice to see nobody is focusing on the real issues.

Gee, and all this time, I thought the Czars, which, of course, were created by Ronald Reagan, were simply advisers. I had no idea they created policy, rules, and regulations.

That is what's being said here, right?

When we win it all back we're going to make every single Registered Republican a Czar

As the Death Panel Czar, I approve of this course of action.

Seriously though, this is just Republicans hemming and hawwing with their own sort of political grandstanding. Democrats had Joe Wilson, Republicans have the Czars. Nice to see nobody is focusing on the real issues.

Hate to burst your bubble--but the very first democrat that complained about Obama's Czar's was democrat senator Robert Byrd--another democrat (can't remember name)--wrote a letter to Obama critizing some of his Czars last week.

The problem the senate has with any Czar--is that they are appointed without review of the senate--& only by the POTUS--& they carry with them a lot of POWER.

Kind of like the new "green Jobs CZar" (Van Jones) that Obama appointed--& then he resigned after his racist-radical views were exposed.

Unlike all cabinet members--& others--Czars answer to NO-one--except the President--& to many in the Senate--(democrats & republicans included) that's an accident waiting to happen.----:cuckoo:

Last edited:
Gee, and all this time, I thought the Czars, which, of course, were created by Ronald Reagan, were simply advisers. I had no idea they created policy, rules, and regulations.

That is what's being said here, right?

They don't have the power to implement policies, rules, and regulations. They do have the power to suggest policies, rules, and regulations to those empowered to do so (aka, advise them).

Polk is right, all they have the power to do is advise.

I would like for the Republicans in this thread to name one piece of legislation that a Czar in the Obama Administration has implemented.

I would like for the Republicans in this thread to name one piece of legislation that a Czar in the Obama Administration has implemented.

No one can implement legislation other than the President signing a bill or Congress by overriding a Presidential veto..... however....czars can write legislation FOR THE PRESIDENT and he can submit it to Congress in the form of a bill.

Don't be a sucker. Polk is a left wing loon hyper partisan who would sell his mother for another government handout.

However long we are keepers of the public trust we should never forget that we are here as public servants and public service is a privilege. It's not about advantaging yourself. It's not about advancing your friends or your corporate clients. It's not about advancing an ideological agenda or the special interests of any organization. Public service is, simply and absolutely, about advancing the interests of Americans.

The way to make government responsible is to hold it accountable. And the way to make government accountable is make it transparent so that the American people can know exactly what decisions are being made, how they're being made, and whether their interests are being well served.

The old rules said that if there was a defensible argument for not disclosing something to the American people, then it should not be disclosed. That era is now over. Starting today, every agency and department should know that this administration stands on the side not of those who seek to withhold information but those who seek to make it known.

The Freedom of Information Act is perhaps the most powerful instrument we have for making our government honest and transparent, and of holding it accountable. And I expect members of my administration not simply to live up to the letter but also the spirit of this law.

Let me say it as simply as I can: Transparency and the rule of law will be the touchstones of this presidency.

TPM: News Pages | Talking Points Memo | Remarks By The President Welcoming Senior Staff And Cabinet Secretaries - 1/21/09

Mmm, mmm, mmm
Barack Hussein Obama
Transparency, that was his vow
But lying is his m.o. now
Mmm, mmm, mmm
Barack Hussein Obama

No one can implement legislation other than the President signing a bill or Congress by overriding a Presidential veto..... however....czars can write legislation FOR THE PRESIDENT and he can submit it to Congress in the form of a bill.

Don't be a sucker. Polk is a left wing loon hyper partisan who would sell his mother for another government handout.

Several things.
1. Executive branch agencies cannot pass laws, but they can create rules and regulations inside the scope of authority given to them by the Congress.
2. The President does not have the power to submit bills to Congress. The White House can be involved in the process, but the act of submitting the bill is ultimately up to a member.
3. Anyone could write anything that eventually be made unto a bill by Congress. That doesn't make the writing a legal issue though.

Does anyone else notice how the Democrats kill ANY attempt at oversite, even though they would have that control?

This seems very weird to me.

And how are we to know what they are advising? There's no accountability.

Was Van Jones advising some radical ideas because you know, radical is his area of expertise?

Is Ezekiel Emanuel advising some rationing type ideas because you know, the 'Complete Lives System' is his area of expertise?

Is Mark Lloyd advising some racial shifting because you know, being a racist is his area of expertise?

Is Cass Sunstein advising some type of alternate, subtle societal behavior change idea because you know, 'nudging' is his area of expertise?

We don't know squat about what these guys are doing because they don't answer to anyone. Most of them were not confirmed. And for the radicals who were, wth were the Republicans? Several of them were voting in lock step. Transparency promise my ass; political spin to get elected -- nothing more and nothing less. Mums the word is what Barry should have run on cause it's what he does best.

Forum List

Back