Senate Defies Veto Threat

Psychoblues

Nov 30, 2003
North Missisippi
Mighty Tighty!!!!!

"Defying a veto threat from President Bush, the Senate Tuesday voted 50-48 to keep a call for a U.S. withdrawal from Iraq in a $124 billion war spending bill. ...

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., said the bill's demand for a U.S. withdrawal would effectively set a "surrender date" in the 4-year-old war.

"Setting a date for withdrawal is like sending a memo to our enemies that tells them to rest, refit and replan until the day we leave," he said. "It's a memo to our friends, too, telling them we plan to walk away and leave them on their own, regardless of what we leave behind."

But Sen. Dick Durbin, the chamber's No. 2 Democrat, said the call for a pullout is a step toward bringing "the worst foreign policy mistake of our time" to an end.

"Now it's time for us to make it clear to the Iraqis it is their country. It is their war. It is their future," he said. Bush has threatened to veto any bill that contains a call for a U.S.
withdrawal from Iraq or what he considered extraneous pork-barrel spending."

More: http://www.cnn.com/POLITICS/blogs/p...senate-keeps-call-for-iraq-pullout-in_27.html

With all the duckin’ and coverin’ by the pukes, I am surprised it was even that close.

Psychoblues

Americans Gotta Keep On Truckin’

Bush is all alone is the way history will have to write it.

It's written in stone the Legislative Branch doesn't like greasing the palms of his war profiteering friends, it's written in stone the People of the United States doesn't like Bush greasing the palms of his war profiteering friends.

This is all Bush now and he will show the world he is not going to stop dropping on his knees and kiss his war profiteering friend's ass.

Bush Vows Not to Negotiate on Iraq Timetable

WASHINGTON, March 28 — A defiant President Bush vowed today not to negotiate with Congress about setting a date for withdrawing American troops from Iraq, and he said the American people would blame lawmakers if there is any delay in approving money for the war effort.

“Now, some of them believe that by delaying funding for our troops, they can force me to accept restrictions on our commanders that I believe would make withdrawal and defeat more likely,” Mr. Bush said. “That’s not going to happen. If Congress fails to pass a bill to fund our troops on the front lines, the American people will know who to hold responsible

The president, speaking to the National Cattlemen’s Beef Association here a day after the Senate endorsed the withdrawal of most American troops by March 31, 2008, said that the people of Iraq had already shown their desire to run their own country by voting in free elections, that Iraqi security forces are gaining strength with American help, and that the outcome in Iraq “will affect a generation of Americans.”

Far from sounding conciliatory, Mr. Bush hurled a dismissive dart at the lawmakers as he asserted that the emergency war-spending bills approved by the House and under consideration by the Senate were loaded with special-interest items, some of them downright silly.

“There’s $3.5 million for visitors to tour the Capitol and see for themselves how Congress works,” Mr. Bush said, drawing laughs from the friendly audience. “I’m not kidding you.”

“Here’s the bottom line,” Mr. Bush went on. “The House and Senate bills have too much pork, too many conditions on our commanders and an artificial timetable for withdrawal. And I have made it clear for weeks if either version comes to my desk, I’m going to veto it.” (Mr. Bush has used his veto power only once, in 2005, to reject a measure that would have expanded federal financing for embryonic stem cell research.)

The $122 billion emergency bills do include nonmilitary spending items, some with little or no connection to national defense. But about $100 billion would go to the Iraq and Afghanistan campaigns.

The House and Senate bills have significant differences, which would have to be reconciled before a measure could be passed by the full Congress. The House bill, passed a week ago, would require the president to bring most combat troops home by September 2008. The bill being considered by the Senate, on the other hand, would set a nonbinding goal of March 31, 2008, for withdrawal.

The House bill passed, 218 to 212. A vote on the overall Senate bill is expected on Thursday, although the March 31, 2008, withdrawal goal was endorsed in a 50-to-48 vote on Tuesday that rejected an amendment to erase the date.

Given the closeness of the votes so far, it is highly unlikely that opponents of Mr. Bush’s policies could muster the two-thirds necessary in both houses of Congress to override his veto. And Mr. Bush’s speech today was a message to Democrats that they should not assume their negotiating position is any stronger because of their narrow victories last week in the House and Tuesday in the Senate.

Mr. Bush did talk about issues of keen interest to the cattlemen, saying, for instance, that if foreign leaders “want to get the attention of the American people in a positive way, you open up your markets to U.S. beef.” But at least half his speech was devoted to Iraq and Afghanistan and the wider battle against terrorism, which he again insisted was linked to the Iraq campaign, despite his critics’ assertions to the contrary.

“The best way to protect this country is to defeat the enemy overseas, so we don’t have to face them here at home,” Mr. Bush said, to applause.

The president said the new push to secure Baghdad through reinforcements should be given a chance to succeed, not undermined by Congressional votes that might cause America’s foes to question its national will.

Mr. Bush also differed, as he has many times before, with those who say that he has falsely linked the Sept. 11 attacks to Iraq, and that the war there is a distraction from, rather than an integral part of, the fight against terrorism.

Alluding to a chilling new tactic by Iraqi insurgents, using children to lull security guards, Mr. Bush said, “That evil that uses children in a terrorist attack in Iraq is the same evil that inspired and rejoiced in the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, and that evil must be defeated overseas so we don’t have to face them here again.

“If we cannot muster the resolve to defeat this evil in Iraq, America will have lost its moral purpose in the world. And we will endanger our citizens, because if we leave Iraq before the job is done, the enemy will follow us here.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/28/world/middleeast/28cnd-prexy.html?hp

“That’s not going to happen. If Congress fails to pass a bill to fund our troops on the front lines, the American people will know who to hold responsible.”

They passed a bill to fund them. So, does this mean that if the President fails to sign a bill to fund our troops on the front lines that the American people will know who to hold responsible?

“That evil that uses children in a terrorist attack in Iraq is the same evil that inspired and rejoiced in the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, and that evil must be defeated overseas so we don’t have to face them here again."

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor??? Hell no! And it's not over now!

My god she is such an idiot !!!! Have you ever seen......ah shit...let her figure it out..

They passed a bill to fund them. So, does this mean that if the President fails to sign a bill to fund our troops on the front lines that the American people will know who to hold responsible?

How dare the President undermine our troops in Iraq. To think that he would veto this bill is outrageous and shows what a scumbag he is. Our young people are serving bravely in Iraq and this President continues to put their lives at risk for his political opinions. May God have mercy on his soul and may he not be damned for all eternity for his blatant disregard for our troops.

THANK YOU!

I found a script for Kathienne... This will clue you in!

Animal House

D-Day: War's over, man. Wormer dropped the big one.
Bluto: Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
Bluto: And it ain't over now. 'Cause when the goin' gets tough...
[thinks hard]
Bluto: the tough get goin'! Who's with me? Let's go!
[runs out, alone; then returns]
Bluto: What the fuck happened to the Delta I used to know? Where's the spirit? Where's the guts, huh? "Ooh, we're afraid to go with you Bluto, we might get in trouble." Well just kiss my ass from now on! Not me! I'm not gonna take this. Wormer, he's a dead man! Marmalard, dead! Niedermeyer...
Otter: Dead! Bluto's right. Psychotic, but absolutely right. We gotta take these bastards. Now we could do it with conventional weapons that could take years and cost millions of lives. No, I think we have to go all out. I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part.
Bluto: We're just the guys to do it.
D-Day: Let's do it.
Bluto: LET'S DO IT!

Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, Kathianne.

Forum List

Back