Sen. John McCain Do us a favor

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Navy1960, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Navy1960

Navy1960 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    John McCain has the second-lowest approval rating among U.S. senators, according to a new poll.

About one-third of Arizona's registered voters approve of McCain's job performance - 34 percent compared with 53 percent who disapprove of the job he's doing - according to a new poll by Public Policy Polling.

That's a drop from 40 percent approval in January.

Only Sen. Joe Lieberman (I-CT) scored lower among sitting senators, 29 percent to 58 percent.

Sen. Jon Kyl - 42 to 46 - didn't fare much better, but voters think Gov. Jan Brewer is doing a good job by a 46 to 45 percent margin.

McCain's approval 2nd lowest among U.S. senators

Sen. John McCain, while I will admit I voted for the man several times, I do think it's time the good Sen. did us a favor here in Arizona and retire. When our Senator seems to spend more time in other nations, than this one and other places than the state he represents as wll as other issues than the one's that seem to effect the state in which he represents, then perhaps it's time to call it quits. When you cannot even come up with the correct reason for a wild fire, and do not even know where it is, then perhaps you spent too much time in the middle east and not enough time in the middle of Arizona. We have many issues facing our state, among them high unemployment, a severe housing crisis, illegal immigration issues, and many more and yet the Sen. seems to want to spend his time on the Senate floor in campaign mode on issues that have little if any impact on the citizens of this state, and when they do he frequently votes against them. While I for one will commend him for his years of dedicated service to this nation, and our state, it's high time you focused on Arizona rather than Pakistan and if this is impossible for you to do, then perhaps the job if Ambassador to that nation is a better fit.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  2. WatertheTree

WatertheTree Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +167
    I agree. He should retire immeadiatly. I to used to respect the man, but that was before he didnt do shit when we decided it was cool to torture people.

Asshole deserved everything he got when they had him.

3. Rocko

Rocko Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,901
    I didn't think it was possible, but you just reached a new low for yourself.

4. whitehall

whitehall Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,624
    I agree. McCain would have been thrown out when he was involved in the Keating scandal but he was the only republican and democrats had to let him go. The McCain/Feingold incumbent protection law AKA "campaign finance law" was a mess that gave tax exemptions to left wing propaganda networks like Media Matters and prevented Americans from buying air time close to elections but didn't prevent networks from influencing elections. It's time for the RINO to make a graceful exit before he is kicked out.

5. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,245
    This is just plain wrong.

Political positions of John McCain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Detention and torture of extrajudicial prisonersFor further details on this topic, see McCain Detainee Amendment and Military Commissions Act of 2006
    In October 2005, McCain, a former POW, introduced an amendment to the Defense Appropriations bill for 2005. That month, the U.S. Senate voted 90–9 to support the amendment.[117] The amendment was commonly referred to as the Amendment on (1) the Army Field Manual and (2) Cruel, Inhumane, Degrading Treatment, amendment #1977 and also known as the McCain Amendment 1977. It became the Detainee Treatment Act of 2005 as Title X of the Department of Defense Authorization bill. The amendment prohibits inhumane treatment of prisoners, including prisoners at Guantanamo Bay, by confining interrogations to the techniques in Army Field Manual 34–52, "Intelligence Interrogation".

On December 15, 2005, Bush announced that he accepted McCain's terms and will "make it clear to the world that this government does not torture and that we adhere to the international convention of torture, whether it be here at home or abroad."[118] Bush made clear his interpretation of this legislation on December 30, 2005, in a signing statement, reserving what he interpreted to be his Presidential constitutional authority in order to avoid further terrorist attacks.[119]

McCain argues that American military and intelligence personnel in future wars will suffer for abuses committed in 2006 by the US in the name of fighting terrorism. He fears the administration's policy will put American prisoners at risk of torture, summary executions and other atrocities by chipping away at Geneva Conventions. He argues that his rival bill to Bush’s plan gives defendants access to classified evidence being used to convict them and will set tight limits on use of testimony obtained by coercion. Furthermore it offers CIA interrogators some legal protections from charges of abuse, but rejects the administration’s plan to more narrowly define the Geneva Conventions’ standards for humane treatment of prisoners. McCain insists this issue overrides politics.[citation needed]

McCain, whose six years of captivity and torture in Vietnam

McCain did not deserve to be tortured. And he has spoken out in the past concerning torture by this nation. I may disagree with Senator McCain on many issues, but he deserves praise on going against most of the GOP on the issue of torture.

6. whitehall

whitehall Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,624
    The problem was that the psy-ops technique of waterboarding was well established and in the books for years and the rendition of foreign prisoners to other countries for enhanced interrogation was commonly used in the Clinton administration and McCain never said a word. McCain knew everything about enhanced interrogation but he never complained until the technique was leaked to the left wing media and then he made a media splash to make political points.

7. conner700

conner700 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I like John McCain. He is a good man. He has charactor, morals, and ethics. I listen when he speaks. I respect him and only wish I had voted for him back in 2008.

My bad. And I regret not doing the work then to get to know who he was and is. :(

As a Senator of AZ I have thought of moving to his state so he could be my congressional representative in the Senate.

8. WatertheTree

WatertheTree Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +167
    All thats irrelevant. All you have to do is say something is not torture when it is and then is acceptable. It looks good on paper but its thin. Oh! Its not torture its advanced interogation techniques.

My ass. Its just like a terrorist, who the fuck is naming people terrorists? Who has that power? Who names something torture, who names something A.I.T.???

9. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,243
    I would look for McCain to retire in five years. Not a minute before

10. Amelia

Amelia BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,119
    Crazy that Lieberman scores so low.

One of the greatest statesman I've ever seen and that's how America views him.

Partisanship reigns supreme.