Sen. John McCain Do us a favor

Navy1960

Sep 4, 2008
Arizona
John McCain has the second-lowest approval rating among U.S. senators, according to a new poll.

About one-third of Arizona's registered voters approve of McCain's job performance - 34 percent compared with 53 percent who disapprove of the job he's doing - according to a new poll by Public Policy Polling.

That's a drop from 40 percent approval in January.

Only Sen. Joe Lieberman (I-CT) scored lower among sitting senators, 29 percent to 58 percent.

Sen. Jon Kyl - 42 to 46 - didn't fare much better, but voters think Gov. Jan Brewer is doing a good job by a 46 to 45 percent margin.

McCain's approval 2nd lowest among U.S. senators

Sen. John McCain, while I will admit I voted for the man several times, I do think it's time the good Sen. did us a favor here in Arizona and retire. When our Senator seems to spend more time in other nations, than this one and other places than the state he represents as wll as other issues than the one's that seem to effect the state in which he represents, then perhaps it's time to call it quits. When you cannot even come up with the correct reason for a wild fire, and do not even know where it is, then perhaps you spent too much time in the middle east and not enough time in the middle of Arizona. We have many issues facing our state, among them high unemployment, a severe housing crisis, illegal immigration issues, and many more and yet the Sen. seems to want to spend his time on the Senate floor in campaign mode on issues that have little if any impact on the citizens of this state, and when they do he frequently votes against them. While I for one will commend him for his years of dedicated service to this nation, and our state, it's high time you focused on Arizona rather than Pakistan and if this is impossible for you to do, then perhaps the job if Ambassador to that nation is a better fit.

Last edited:
I agree. He should retire immeadiatly. I to used to respect the man, but that was before he didnt do shit when we decided it was cool to torture people.

Asshole deserved everything he got when they had him.

I agree. He should retire immeadiatly. I to used to respect the man, but that was before he didnt do shit when we decided it was cool to torture people.

I didn't think it was possible, but you just reached a new low for yourself.

I agree. McCain would have been thrown out when he was involved in the Keating scandal but he was the only republican and democrats had to let him go. The McCain/Feingold incumbent protection law AKA "campaign finance law" was a mess that gave tax exemptions to left wing propaganda networks like Media Matters and prevented Americans from buying air time close to elections but didn't prevent networks from influencing elections. It's time for the RINO to make a graceful exit before he is kicked out.

This is just plain wrong.

Political positions of John McCain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Detention and torture of extrajudicial prisonersFor further details on this topic, see McCain Detainee Amendment and Military Commissions Act of 2006
In October 2005, McCain, a former POW, introduced an amendment to the Defense Appropriations bill for 2005. That month, the U.S. Senate voted 90–9 to support the amendment.[117] The amendment was commonly referred to as the Amendment on (1) the Army Field Manual and (2) Cruel, Inhumane, Degrading Treatment, amendment #1977 and also known as the McCain Amendment 1977. It became the Detainee Treatment Act of 2005 as Title X of the Department of Defense Authorization bill. The amendment prohibits inhumane treatment of prisoners, including prisoners at Guantanamo Bay, by confining interrogations to the techniques in Army Field Manual 34–52, "Intelligence Interrogation".

On December 15, 2005, Bush announced that he accepted McCain's terms and will "make it clear to the world that this government does not torture and that we adhere to the international convention of torture, whether it be here at home or abroad."[118] Bush made clear his interpretation of this legislation on December 30, 2005, in a signing statement, reserving what he interpreted to be his Presidential constitutional authority in order to avoid further terrorist attacks.[119]

McCain argues that American military and intelligence personnel in future wars will suffer for abuses committed in 2006 by the US in the name of fighting terrorism. He fears the administration's policy will put American prisoners at risk of torture, summary executions and other atrocities by chipping away at Geneva Conventions. He argues that his rival bill to Bush’s plan gives defendants access to classified evidence being used to convict them and will set tight limits on use of testimony obtained by coercion. Furthermore it offers CIA interrogators some legal protections from charges of abuse, but rejects the administration’s plan to more narrowly define the Geneva Conventions’ standards for humane treatment of prisoners. McCain insists this issue overrides politics.[citation needed]

McCain, whose six years of captivity and torture in Vietnam

McCain did not deserve to be tortured. And he has spoken out in the past concerning torture by this nation. I may disagree with Senator McCain on many issues, but he deserves praise on going against most of the GOP on the issue of torture.

Detention and torture of extrajudicial prisonersFor further details on this topic, see McCain Detainee Amendment and Military Commissions Act of 2006
In October 2005, McCain, a former POW, introduced an amendment to the Defense Appropriations bill for 2005. That month, the U.S. Senate voted 90–9 to support the amendment.[117] The amendment was commonly referred to as the Amendment on (1) the Army Field Manual and (2) Cruel, Inhumane, Degrading Treatment, amendment #1977 and also known as the McCain Amendment 1977. It became the Detainee Treatment Act of 2005 as Title X of the Department of Defense Authorization bill. The amendment prohibits inhumane treatment of prisoners, including prisoners at Guantanamo Bay, by confining interrogations to the techniques in Army Field Manual 34–52, "Intelligence Interrogation".

On December 15, 2005, Bush announced that he accepted McCain's terms and will "make it clear to the world that this government does not torture and that we adhere to the international convention of torture, whether it be here at home or abroad."[118] Bush made clear his interpretation of this legislation on December 30, 2005, in a signing statement, reserving what he interpreted to be his Presidential constitutional authority in order to avoid further terrorist attacks.[119]

McCain argues that American military and intelligence personnel in future wars will suffer for abuses committed in 2006 by the US in the name of fighting terrorism. He fears the administration's policy will put American prisoners at risk of torture, summary executions and other atrocities by chipping away at Geneva Conventions. He argues that his rival bill to Bush’s plan gives defendants access to classified evidence being used to convict them and will set tight limits on use of testimony obtained by coercion. Furthermore it offers CIA interrogators some legal protections from charges of abuse, but rejects the administration’s plan to more narrowly define the Geneva Conventions’ standards for humane treatment of prisoners. McCain insists this issue overrides politics.[citation needed]

McCain did not deserve to be tortured. And he has spoken out in the past concerning torture by this nation. I may disagree with Senator McCain on many issues, but he deserves praise on going against most of the GOP on the issue of torture.

The problem was that the psy-ops technique of waterboarding was well established and in the books for years and the rendition of foreign prisoners to other countries for enhanced interrogation was commonly used in the Clinton administration and McCain never said a word. McCain knew everything about enhanced interrogation but he never complained until the technique was leaked to the left wing media and then he made a media splash to make political points.

I like John McCain. He is a good man. He has charactor, morals, and ethics. I listen when he speaks. I respect him and only wish I had voted for him back in 2008.

My bad. And I regret not doing the work then to get to know who he was and is. :(

As a Senator of AZ I have thought of moving to his state so he could be my congressional representative in the Senate.

All thats irrelevant. All you have to do is say something is not torture when it is and then is acceptable. It looks good on paper but its thin. Oh! Its not torture its advanced interogation techniques.

My ass. Its just like a terrorist, who the fuck is naming people terrorists? Who has that power? Who names something torture, who names something A.I.T.???

I would look for McCain to retire in five years. Not a minute before

Crazy that Lieberman scores so low.

One of the greatest statesman I've ever seen and that's how America views him.

Partisanship reigns supreme.

All thats irrelevant. All you have to do is say something is not torture when it is and then is acceptable. It looks good on paper but its thin. Oh! Its not torture its advanced interogation techniques.

My ass. Its just like a terrorist, who the fuck is naming people terrorists? Who has that power? Who names something torture, who names something A.I.T.???

Your ass indeed. The point is that McCain was well aware of enhanced interrogation as well as the rendition program during the Clinton administration that shipped foreign prisoners to other countries for enhanced interrogation and he never said a word. He stabbed Bush in the back for left wing political points when the waterboarding technique was leaked to the press.

What a disgusting post!!!

"Cool to torture people". People who use the words cool and torture in the same sentence are victims of pop-culture education. The left wing media decided that the well established (and successful) technique of waterboarding which had been used in advanced American Military training should be considered torture and sissies on the left quickly took up the mantra. More people died in Ted Kennedy's car. It's a moot point today but sissies who never served in the Military are still quick to make it an anti-American statement.

While, I will never call into question Sen. McCain's service to his country or his honor, my issue with the good Sen. is that his attention has been so directed at national issues if you agree or disagree he hardly represents the interests of Arizona any longer. Call me old fashioned but have always thought a Senator should at least represent his or her state and then concentrate on national matters. While I am sure Pakistan, and Afghanistan are pressing matters for the Senator as well as several other nations he seems to travel to, it would be nice if he at least appeared to take a small interest in the problems here beyond the occasional wild fire.

"Cool to torture people". People who use the words cool and torture in the same sentence are victims of pop-culture education. The left wing media decided that the well established (and successful) technique of waterboarding which had been used in advanced American Military training should be considered torture and sissies on the left quickly took up the mantra. More people died in Ted Kennedy's car. It's a moot point today but sissies who never served in the Military are still quick to make it an anti-American statement.

Flogging used to be a well established technique which was used in advanced american military training.

Doesnt make it torture or not just cause its been made 'ok' by our shitty government. Thats my point dingbats.

And yes, it is cool to torture people in America. Look how quick so many people are to defend it. If your offended look at your own morals not mine. I know torture is wrong, its you people that are confused.

Fuck McCain, and fuck anyone else that thinks torture is acceptable. Approved by the government or not.

Flogging used to be a well established technique which was used in advanced american military training.

Doesnt make it torture or not just cause its been made 'ok' by our shitty government. Thats my point dingbats.

And yes, it is cool to torture people in America. Look how quick so many people are to defend it. If your offended look at your own morals not mine. I know torture is wrong, its you people that are confused.

Fuck McCain, and fuck anyone else that thinks torture is acceptable. Approved by the government or not.

You should change your log in name to pissing on liberty.

I didn't think it was possible, but you just reached a new low for yourself.

McCain declared waterboarding torture, which it isn't. What was he supposed to do about it?
Pissonthetree is pissing into the wind.

I agree he should go. I have never been a big fan of his and I thought his campaign in 2008 was terrible.

It would be interesting to see who the people of AZ put in his place. The govenor is certainly a conservative and I would hope that the people of AZ would replace McCain with someone who is more conservative. But the state really has become a mixed bag.

We'll see.

You should change your log in name to pissing on liberty.

One day the country will cleanse itself of anti-american neocon big government less freedom shitbrains like you. Fascist pig.

I agree he should go. I have never been a big fan of his and I thought his campaign in 2008 was terrible.

It would be interesting to see who the people of AZ put in his place. The govenor is certainly a conservative and I would hope that the people of AZ would replace McCain with someone who is more conservative. But the state really has become a mixed bag.

We'll see.

Jeff Flake is running for the Jon Kyl's seat, but our state is not as conservative as it once was. I have a feeling that maybe Ben Quayle might run for it by then, but that remains to be seen.

Forum List

Back