Sen. Graham to Consider Brithright Citizenship Amendment

Angelhair

Aug 22, 2009
Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.), who up until just a few months ago was actively working on a mass amnesty bill with Sen. Chuck Schumer, said that he is considering the introduction of a Constitutional amendment that would put an end to Birthright Citizenship.

A portion of the 14th Amendment of the United States Constitution reads: "All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside."

There is much debate as to whether the 14th Amendment automatically grants citizenship or if laws passed by Congress after the 14th Amendment was ratified is the true source of birthright citizenship in the United States.

Regardless, the law has been taken advantage of by foreign nationals, and Sen. Graham said it's time to put an end to it.

“I may introduce a constitutional amendment that changes the rules if you have a child here,” Graham said during an interview with Fox News’ Greta Van Susteren. “Birthright citizenship I think is a mistake, that we should change our Constitution and say if you come here illegally and you have a child, that child's automatically not a citizen.”

“People come here to have babies,” he said. “They come here to drop a child. It's called 'drop and leave.' To have a child in America, they cross the border, they go to the emergency room, have a child, and that child's automatically an American citizen. That shouldn't be the case. That attracts people here for all the wrong reasons.”

Amending the Constitution would require ratification from 3/4ths of the states.

In the House, Former Rep. Nathan Deal (R-Ga.) offered a bill that would eliminate Birthright Citizenship, and since his resignation, has been taken over by Rep. Gary Miller (R-Calif.). The bill has more than 90 sponsors and is one of NumbersUSA's "5 Great Immigration Reduction Bills."

Sen. Graham to Consider Brithright Citizenship Amendment | NumbersUSA - For Lower Immigration Levels

Very good idea - but - I doubt it will fly - unfortunately!

Forum List

Back