Sen. Coburn Turns Over Emails to Feds Investigating Ensign Scandal

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
Coburn Turns Over Emails To Feds Investigating Ensign Scandal | TPMMuckraker

Sen. Tom Coburn (R-OK) -- who acknowledged last year that he acted as an "intermediary" between Sen. John Ensign (R-NV) and Doug Hampton, the man with whose wife the Nevada senator had an affair -- has turned over emails to the feds who are investigating Ensign's affair, Politico reports.

Coburn and Ensign were roommates at a Christian house on C Street at the time of the affair.

Coburn didn't tell Politico what's contained in the emails -- but said "there weren't many."

Coburn told POLITICO that he is cooperating with the Justice Department in the investigation of Ensign, and says he's willing to submit himself to an interview with the FBI or Senate Select Committee on Ethics, which is conducting a parallel investigation into whether Ensign broke Senate rules.

"We've given them everything they wanted," Coburn said, referring to the Justice Department.

It's only OK for republicans to investigate affairs?
It goes beyond an affair in Ensign's case, as you know.

As an aside, anyone notice how our so-called Liberal Media™ hasn't covered this much, compared to the Rangel scandal?

As an aside, anyone notice how our so-called Liberal Media™ hasn't covered this much, compared to the Rangel scandal?

You're joking right? The Rangel Scandal has been ignored for almost two years. If he hadnt finally been charged he wouldn't be in the news at all. He's still be sitting in Washington playing with our tax money.

You're joking right? The Rangel Scandal has been ignored for almost two years. If he hadnt finally been charged he wouldn't be in the news at all. He's still be sitting in Washington playing with our tax money.

The left ONLY cares about Republican scandals. Democrats that get caught were just " playing the game" Republicans that get caught are criminals. Just ask our esteemed buddies on this board.

The left ONLY cares about Republican scandals. Democrats that get caught were just " playing the game" Republicans that get caught are criminals. Just ask our esteemed buddies on this board.

I no longer have any Liberal Buddies. The Gravity and Scope of what the Extreme left is trying to do to this Nation, Does not allow the the luxury of having them. If you are still Defending this Administration and Far Left Radical Congress. You are not only not my Buddie, you are my sworn Enemy. This is war.

It's clear some people are at war at one another. Is it too much to hope that this war remains non-violent?

It's clear some people are at war at one another. Is it too much to hope that this war remains non-violent?

Hmm well lets see. Been hearing talk of Obama using executive order to make all the illegals legal and register them to vote before NOV or at least before 2012.

That happens and all bets are off. I would expect violence at such a blatant attempt to skew the electorate to remain in power.

Why are we investigating affairs?

The grand jury isn't investigating an affair, it's investigating whether Ensign broke federal laws to get this cuckold a job.

I no longer have any Liberal Buddies. The Gravity and Scope of what the Extreme left is trying to do to this Nation, Does not allow the the luxury of having them. If you are still Defending this Administration and Far Left Radical Congress. You are not only not my Buddie, you are my sworn Enemy. This is war.

Grow up.

Why are we investigating affairs?

The grand jury isn't investigating an affair, it's investigating whether Ensign broke federal laws to get this cuckold a job.

Grow up.

What Federal laws did he allegedly break?

What Federal laws did he allegedly break?

I'm not a lawyer but most media accounts state it as "Federal criminal law prohibits congressional aides from lobbying their ex-bosses or office colleagues for one year after departing their Hill jobs," so in perusing Part 1 of Title 18 of the U.S. code (criminal law) I wandered through Chapter 11 (the bribery, graft, and conflicts of interest section). Looking at that, I'm thinking "§ 207. Restrictions on former officers, employees, and elected officials of the executive and legislative branches" is the way to go. And within that, I'm guessing that what the news stories are talking about is this:

(6) Other legislative offices.—
(A) Any person who is an employee of any other legislative office of the Congress to whom paragraph (7)(B) applies and who, within 1 year after the termination of that person’s employment in such office, knowingly makes, with the intent to influence, any communication to or appearance before any of the persons described in subparagraph (B), on behalf of any other person (except the United States) in connection with any matter on which such former employee seeks action by any officer or employee of such office, in his or her official capacity, shall be punished as provided in section 216 of this title.
(B) The persons referred to in subparagraph (A) with respect to appearances or communications by a former employee are the employees and officers of the former legislative office of the Congress of the former employee.​

Last edited:

Aside from making a dick out of yourself with the above, what does this rant have to do with Sen. Ensign's scandal and the lack of coverage of it?

Forum List

Back