Sen. Coburn: Pray for Death or Incapacitation of a Senator

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
Daily Kos: Senator Tom Coburn's Terrible Prayer

Senator Tom Coburn's Terrible Prayer
by DowneastDem

Mon Dec 21, 2009 at 02:41:28 AM PST

Can you believe that a US senator actually prayed aloud on the senate floor for the death or incapacitation of a fellow senator? That is exactly what Sen. Tom Coburn - a medical doctor, no less - did last night.

DowneastDem's diary :: ::
Dana Milbank of the Washington Post describes how Coburn Crossed the Line.

At 4 p.m. Sunday afternoon -- nine hours before the 1 a.m. vote that would effectively clinch the legislation's passage -- Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.) went to the Senate floor to propose a prayer. "What the American people ought to pray is that somebody can't make the vote tonight," he said. "That's what they ought to pray."

There was absolutely no mystery concerning which senator was being referenced by Coburn.

It was difficult to escape the conclusion that Coburn was referring to the 92-year-old, wheelchair-bound Sen. Robert Byrd (D-W.V.) who has been in and out of hospitals and lay at home ailing. It would not be easy for Byrd to get out of bed in the wee hours with deep snow on the ground and ice on the roads -- but without his vote, Democrats wouldn't have the 60 they needed.

Senator Dick Durbin spoke expressed outrage at the behavior of Sen. Coburn. But the best revenge came from 92-year-old Senator Byrd himself:

Coburn was wearing blue jeans, an argyle sweater and a tweed jacket with elbow patches when he walked back into the chamber a few minutes before 1 a.m. He watched without expression when Byrd was wheeled in, dabbing his eyes and nose with tissues, his complexion pale. When his name was called, Byrd shot his right index finger into the air as he shouted "aye," then pumped his left fist in defiance.

Here is my prayer: I pray for the people of Oklahoma that they will someday come to their senses and elect principled men and women to office.

To be fair you kinda took it out of proportion.

from what I just read in that link it sounds like the senator said "We should pray that someone can't make the vote so this bill doesn't pass"

I dont think he was wishing sickness or death on Byrd, if he was actually talking about Byrd. I think he was literally praying for what he said, which was "What the American people ought to pray is that somebody can't make the vote tonight".

To be fair to you too he doesn't clarify how they can't make the vote but you are assuming the worse and projecting your own opinoin into his statement.

"What the American people ought to pray is that somebody can't make the vote tonight," he said. "That's what they ought to pray."

I don't that that word means what you think it means

Nothing to indicate that he had Byrd in mind to me. Just that his side didn't have the votes, but he wants to stop the bill anyway.

Coburn andi inhofe, two barrels of bull shit from Oklahoma. There is a reason people chose not to live there.

from what I just read in that link it sounds like the senator said "We should pray that someone can't make the vote so this bill doesn't pass"

I dont think he was wishing sickness or death on Byrd, if he was actually talking about Byrd. I think he was literally praying for what he said, which was "What the American people ought to pray is that somebody can't make the vote tonight".

To be fair to you too he doesn't clarify how they can't make the vote but you are assuming the worse and projecting your own opinoin into his statement.

When you pray to God you have to be specific what you are praying for. How is God supposed to know that you mean you hope the guy gets a flat tire instead of dying in a fiery crash?

Last edited:
ZOMGGGGGGGGGGG!!! He prayed for Dems to get Ebola or Crimean Congo Hemorrhagic Fever! Didn't you hear it?

How sick to want a member of congress to be incapable of representing their constituency in the congress.

Why didnt he just wish that he had a majority instead?

Praying for the people to be unrepresented is FOUL!

Let us pray...

Please God, do not allow the American people to get healthcare. Deny those heathens with your god given pre-existing conditions the right to insurance. Support thy rightious insurance companies in their quest to make profits.

Can I get an AMEN??

Dems don't listen to their constituents anyway, most of them are against ObamaCare, so what fucking difference does it make?

Let us pray...

Please God, do not allow the American people to get healthcare. Deny those heathens with your god given pre-existing conditions the right to insurance. Support thy rightious insurance companies in their quest to make profits.

Can I get an AMEN??

We are pleased to announce that we proudly sponsor RW's posts

summers-eve-douche.jpg

When you pray to God you have to be specific what you are praying for. How is God supposed to know that you mean you hope the guy gets a flat tire instead of dying in a fiery crash?

:lol: Ok ok you got me :lol:

How sick to want a member of congress to be incapable of representing their constituency in the congress.

Why didnt he just wish that he had a majority instead?

Praying for the people to be unrepresented is FOUL!

Well I do have to say I agree with what you are saying even though I wanted the same thing the senator prayed for. We eleceted 60 democrats and they should all get their vote no matter how I feel about their decision in that vote.
Let us pray...

Can I get an AMEN??

No but I have one of these for you:D Do you want me to explain why i'm throwing it at you?

redherring.gif

Daily Kos: Senator Tom Coburn's Terrible Prayer

Senator Tom Coburn's Terrible Prayer
by DowneastDem

Mon Dec 21, 2009 at 02:41:28 AM PST

Can you believe that a US senator actually prayed aloud on the senate floor for the death or incapacitation of a fellow senator? That is exactly what Sen. Tom Coburn - a medical doctor, no less - did last night.

DowneastDem's diary :: ::
Dana Milbank of the Washington Post describes how Coburn Crossed the Line.

At 4 p.m. Sunday afternoon -- nine hours before the 1 a.m. vote that would effectively clinch the legislation's passage -- Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.) went to the Senate floor to propose a prayer. "What the American people ought to pray is that somebody can't make the vote tonight," he said. "That's what they ought to pray."

There was absolutely no mystery concerning which senator was being referenced by Coburn.

It was difficult to escape the conclusion that Coburn was referring to the 92-year-old, wheelchair-bound Sen. Robert Byrd (D-W.V.) who has been in and out of hospitals and lay at home ailing. It would not be easy for Byrd to get out of bed in the wee hours with deep snow on the ground and ice on the roads -- but without his vote, Democrats wouldn't have the 60 they needed.

Senator Dick Durbin spoke expressed outrage at the behavior of Sen. Coburn. But the best revenge came from 92-year-old Senator Byrd himself:

Coburn was wearing blue jeans, an argyle sweater and a tweed jacket with elbow patches when he walked back into the chamber a few minutes before 1 a.m. He watched without expression when Byrd was wheeled in, dabbing his eyes and nose with tissues, his complexion pale. When his name was called, Byrd shot his right index finger into the air as he shouted "aye," then pumped his left fist in defiance.

Here is my prayer: I pray for the people of Oklahoma that they will someday come to their senses and elect principled men and women to office.

RHETORICAL QUESTION:

WOULD YOU PRAY FOR THE DEATH OF HITLER ?

Or, even a minor REPLICA of EVIL (as compared to HITLER)....like the CHAPPAQUIDICK MURDERER ?????

Personally, I don't believe in prayer. In my belief system you might as well pray to THE LIGHTENING so as it doesn't strike you.

In other words, prayers to the god of the Organized Religions of the World have the same statistical odds as praying to the nearest rock in your garden.

HOWEVER...... I can HOPE......Can't I ??????

Forum List

Back