Sen. Charles Grassley (R-IA) is Against Freedom of Speech

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Law Enforcement Against Prohibition

As soon as this Thursday, November 5, the U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee could vote on an amendment that will legally prevent some of the government's top advisers from even discussing the idea of legalizing or decriminalizing drugs as a solution to the failed "war on drugs."

Yes, you read that right. The Senate just might censor its own policy advisers from giving science-based advice.

The censorship amendment's author, Sen. Charles Grassley (R-IA), is trying to attach the speech prohibition onto an otherwise positive bill that will create a blue ribbon commission to study our nation's failed criminal justice and drug policies. The commission is supposed to make recommendations for ways to improve the system, but how can they do that with the blindfold that Sen. Grassley wants to put on them? Please take action below and tell your senators to oppose the censorship amendment!

I'd love to see the vote on this one. That way, all of their names, Democrats and Republicans will be posted on here.

Yep, Grassley sucks, I just wish he was the only tool in Washington trying to shut down free speech.

Amen! To many on both sides seem to take issue with the First Amendment not to mention most of the other Amendments.

I have a feeling that some Dems will join the majority of people who will be Republican on this. Don't want to see the War on Drugs ended. Too many companies filling their pockets.

Some damn near all. REmember they see no point in reading bills. Just vote yes it doesn't matter.

I have a feeling that some Dems will join the majority of people who will be Republican on this. Don't want to see the War on Drugs ended. Too many companies filling their pockets.

I guarantee the paper and logging industries are major players in this game. Cannabis paper is cheaper to manufacture, stronger, better quality and since the source is essentially a weed, readily & easily renewable.

I guarantee the paper and logging industries are major players in this game. Cannabis paper is cheaper to manufacture, stronger, better quality and since the source is essentially a weed, readily & easily renewable.

Exactly my point. That and Big Pharma. Though Hearst and the whole Logging Industry was one of the main reasons why Marijuana was banned in the first place. That, and racism.

Buggered if I know why it was banned here - I think it was just pure ignorance. Having thought about it, yes, it was pure ignorance rather than an economic reason. That of course is not to dispute anything said in previous posts as my comments - as are yours - are location-specific.

Buggered if I know why it was banned here - I think it was just pure ignorance. Having thought about it, yes, it was pure ignorance rather than an economic reason. That of course is not to dispute anything said in previous posts as my comments - as are yours - are location-specific.

Of course, it is usually ignorance why it's banned.

WHY IS MARIJUANA ILLEGAL?

Take Harry J. Anslinger, the first director of the Federal Bureau of Narcotics, who, in 1937, said, "There are 100,000 total marijuana smokers in the US, and most are Negroes, Hispanics, Filipinos and entertainers," he said. "Their satanic music, jazz and swing result from marijuana use. This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with Negroes, entertainers and any others."

The problem is that political ignorance turns into common prejudice. Just thinking about how it was dealt with here, I remember back in the late 1960s being instructed in the evils of marijuana. It was and is a load of old tosh.

5. October 1972. Joe Cocker given four hours to leave the country

Joe Cocker under arrest for possessing marijuana in 1972.

After a concert in Adelaide on October 13, Cocker got high backstage with a little help from his friends, booze and marijuana. He was in bed fast asleep when police raided his motel room at 10am the next morning and arrested him and six of his entourage for possession, took them down to the station and locked them up.

Cocker pleaded guilty and was bailed for $1000. But at Festival Hall five days later, Cocker yelled out: "In five years marijuana will be legalised in Australia, and the same cat who is trying to throw us out now will be smoking it himself ."

The next day immigration minister Jim Forbes gave Cocker four hours to leave the country. Marijuana is still not legal, but Cocker has toured Australia another 10 times.

I knew the detective who locked him up, he said he was a really decent bloke. There was a line-up when he was in the cells, coppers were coming in to get autographs. He signed every one of them. Stupid, stupid law.

And don't come back! - Music - theage.com.au

Grassely is an buttwad who will do whatever it is he is paid to do.

Hearst, owner of big paper company, was the person who originally got marijuana banned since he had a vested interest in paper being made from his lumber rather than from hemp or other sources.

Ain't it grand how the rich ruled and still rule our good old US of A. If you have the money, you can buy just about anyone in Washington with your lobbiests and dollars.

I guess that is what the call the for fee market?:lol:

MEDIA MANIPULATION

A media blitz of 'yellow journalism' raged in the late 1920s and 1930s. Hearst's newspapers ran stories emphasizing the horrors of marihuana. The menace of marihuana made headlines. Readers learned that it was responsible for everything from car accidents to loose morality.

Films like 'Reefer Madness' (1936), 'Marihuana: Assassin of Youth' (1935) and 'Marihuana: The Devil's Weed' (1936) were propaganda designed by these industrialists to create an enemy. Their purpose was to gain public support so that anti-marihuana laws could be passed.

Examine the following quotes from 'The Burning Question' aka REEFER MADNESS:

a violent narcotic.

acts of shocking violence.

incurable insanity.

soul-destroying effects.

under the influence of the drug he killed his entire family with an ax.

more vicious, more deadly even than these soul-destroying drugs (heroin, cocaine) is the menace of marihuana!

Reefer Madness did not end with the usual 'the end.' The film concluded with these words plastered on the screen: TELL YOUR CHILDREN.

In the 1930s, people were very naive; even to the point of ignorance. Some things never change. Now it's Fox Noise that fills this void.The masses were like sheep waiting to be led by the few in power. They did not challenge authority. If the news was in print or on the radio, they believed it had to be true. They told their children and their children grew up to be the parents of the baby-boomers.

I have no doubt you are correct about the paper and logging industries Ringel.
It pisses me off to no end that we refuse to use Hemp in this country because of bullshit.

Not to mention the environmental advantages of growing hemp, it can be used in so many products, with superior quality, that it makes no sense to me to not use it. The production of bio-fuels is where I think we are really missing the boat with the use of it. The ideal biomass as a fuel source is hemp. The shit grows fast, and on land that won't grow much else.

This has nothing to do with the 1st amendment. It is simply one way to prevent the legalization of drugs, And that is it's entire intent.

While I do believe that industrial Hemp should not be illegal, and that there are many many product that could be made from it. Please remember that you cannot get high from industrial hemp.

I notice how the left wants it legalized not for industry but for recreation. Two different products.

Legalize Industrial Hemp

Do not legalize Marijuana.

Glad to see a discussion of the dictatorship of the wealthy.

It is what is ruining the country. It's the reason we don't have national health insurance. It is the reason the economy collapsed from a $516 TRILLION DOLLAR derivative bubble. It is the reason we don't have American made alternative energy. It is the reason we should vote out scum bags like Grassley and Lieberman who are sacrificing the good of Americans for the money of the lobbyists.

This has nothing to do with the 1st amendment. It is simply one way to prevent the legalization of drugs, And that is it's entire intent.

While I do believe that industrial Hemp should not be illegal, and that there are many many product that could be made from it. Please remember that you cannot get high from industrial hemp.

I notice how the left wants it legalized not for industry but for recreation. Two different products.

Legalize Industrial Hemp

I'm sure as fuck not on the left, but this is one of the very few areas that I do agree with them, both should be legal.

Legalize Industrial Hemp

I'm sure as fuck not on the left, but this is one of the very few areas that I do agree with them, both should be legal.

until they ban Cigarettes and Alcohol....2 drugs that are proven killers...i will be 100% for the legalization of pot....the hypocrisy is amazing...

Forum List

Back