Sen. Brownback's Office Says Darfur Accountabily Act Is DOA In The House

NATO AIR

Jun 25, 2004
USS Abraham Lincoln
I called Sen. Brownback's Senate office, the conservative Republican from Kansas (and the lone Republican Senator I think would make a great president in 2008), just about an hour ago. His staff @ 202-224-6521 tells me the Darfur Accountability Act is DOA in the house as it was pulled out of committee last week. Amazing how I had to call 9 house represenatives and 2 senators before I got an educated answer from Sen. Brownback's gracious staff.

You can call them at that number and learn the same unsettling news I did.

I got blasted on a conservative site for saying the White House sent a letter to the House telling them to not support the Act (HR 1424). I have no proof that letter was really sent other than the written word of the only person in the media who has actually talked about Darfur on a regular basis, Nicholas Kristof of the NY Times. I think Kristof is a liberal who has bad ideas 70% of the time, he gets the facts mixed up at times, but when he's right, he's right, and I have yet to catch him in one of his columns being dishonest like other unmentionables from the NY Times like Maureen Dowd and Bob Herbert. And as I explain below, there is no other believeable explanation for why legislation with so much support from the majority and minority parties would suddenly get killed in a Congressional House committee.

Over 30 senators co-sponsored the Darfur Accountability Act in the Senate, including several notable Republicans like Brownback, DeWine, Talent and Coburn (as well as Joe Lieberman, the Democrat who should be a Republican). This wasn't some blame America drivel passed by a moralizing democrat minority. It was an attempt to show some united Congressional leadership on the issue.

The House version had notable Republican support as well, co-sponsored by GOP gents like Rep. Tancredo, Diaz-Galbert, Thompson, Pitts and Capuano. I don't see how without White House pressure this thing wouldn't have made it out of committee.

So what's going on here? Anybody have any ideas that are better than mine?

NATO AIR said:
I called Sen. Brownback's Senate office, the conservative Republican from Kansas (and the lone Republican Senator I think would make a great president in 2008), just about an hour ago. His staff @ 202-224-6521 tells me the Darfur Accountability Act is DOA in the house as it was pulled out of committee last week. Amazing how I had to call 9 house represenatives and 2 senators before I got an educated answer from Sen. Brownback's gracious staff.

You can call them at that number and learn the same unsettling news I did.

I got blasted on a conservative site for saying the White House sent a letter to the House telling them to not support the Act (HR 1424). I have no proof that letter was really sent other than the written word of the only person in the media who has actually talked about Darfur on a regular basis, Nicholas Kristof of the NY Times. I think Kristof is a liberal who has bad ideas 70% of the time, he gets the facts mixed up at times, but when he's right, he's right, and I have yet to catch him in one of his columns being dishonest like other unmentionables from the NY Times like Maureen Dowd and Bob Herbert. And as I explain below, there is no other believeable explanation for why legislation with so much support from the majority and minority parties would suddenly get killed in a Congressional House committee.

Over 30 senators co-sponsored the Darfur Accountability Act in the Senate, including several notable Republicans like Brownback, DeWine, Talent and Coburn (as well as Joe Lieberman, the Democrat who should be a Republican). This wasn't some blame America drivel passed by a moralizing democrat minority. It was an attempt to show some united Congressional leadership on the issue.

The House version had notable Republican support as well, co-sponsored by GOP gents like Rep. Tancredo, Diaz-Galbert, Thompson, Pitts and Capuano. I don't see how without White House pressure this thing wouldn't have made it out of committee.

So what's going on here? Anybody have any ideas that are better than mine?

I am glad my Rep. is Tom Tancredo....

I called Allard's office but got no answer. I refuse to deal with Salazar, he has already broken his campaign promise, the major one that got him elected (that he would support an up or down vote for each Judge).

no1tovote4 said:
I am glad my Rep. is Tom Tancredo....

I called Allard's office but got no answer. I refuse to deal with Salazar, he has already broken his campaign promise, the major one that got him elected (that he would support an up or down vote for each Judge).

Yea I like Tom Tancredo, he takes good stands.

I hate talking about this all the time, I'm just still in shock that Bush would do this.

You know you've been calling the politicans too much when staff members you haven't even talked to know your name and what you're going to ask about.

I have duty/watch in four hours. I'm going to bed.

Thanks for calling them and giving a damn.

Update (while I'm wasting long distance card minutes here)

Sen. Corzine, the co-sponsor of the act in the Senate, apparently spoke about this on the floor just now and all but said Bush killed it because Sudan is now an ally in the war on terror.

Sen. Talent (R-MO)'s staff has told me the Senator is disturbed about the bill being killed in the House, and added the detail that he's wondering why it was not included in the committee's conference report. Does that mean it was not even discussed? I don't know.

Sen. DeWine (R-OH)'s staff has no idea what's going on, but did say it would be a surprise to the senator if the act did not pass the house, which of course it didn't.

My senator (i don't call Nelson, his staff is rude and dumb) Martinez (r-FL) and his staff obviously have no idea what the hell Darfur is, they transferred me to five different people before issuing a "i don't know for certain what the senator's view is so I cannot say on the phone"

The joy of calling elected officials in Washington, anybody got a message for when I call these folks tomorrow night/morning my time?

NATO AIR said:
Update (while I'm wasting long distance card minutes here)

Sen. Corzine, the co-sponsor of the act in the Senate, apparently spoke about this on the floor just now and all but said Bush killed it because Sudan is now an ally in the war on terror.

Sen. Talent (R-MO)'s staff has told me the Senator is disturbed about the bill being killed in the House, and added the detail that he's wondering why it was not included in the committee's conference report. Does that mean it was not even discussed? I don't know.

Sen. DeWine (R-OH)'s staff has no idea what's going on, but did say it would be a surprise to the senator if the act did not pass the house, which of course it didn't.

My senator (i don't call Nelson, his staff is rude and dumb) Martinez (r-FL) and his staff obviously have no idea what the hell Darfur is, they transferred me to five different people before issuing a "i don't know for certain what the senator's view is so I cannot say on the phone"

The joy of calling elected officials in Washington, anybody got a message for when I call these folks tomorrow night/morning my time?

I can't figure out why they keep acting like they are a subsidiary of the Executive Branch.

There is no reason to give a pass on activity like this because they claim to be an ally in the WOT. It is time our allies began to act like allies rather than making the claim so they can continue such action in perpetuity.

this is a prime example of why the republicans are in power. The image that all republicans are united with the same purpose and not badmouthing other republicans(excepting a few who don't tow the party line).

Bush says they are an ally in WOT, the house and senate will not pursue the issue.

SmarterThanYou said:
this is a prime example of why the republicans are in power. The image that all republicans are united with the same purpose and not badmouthing other republicans(excepting a few who don't tow the party line).

Bush says they are an ally in WOT, the house and senate will not pursue the issue.

That is a harsh truth.

Btw, you can't beat being able to call John Kerry and his staff gutless, which I was able to do this morning.

I call these suckers expecting (him being on the Foreign Relations Comm. and all) them to know something about it being reintroduced in the coming weeks. These folks don't know jack about Darfur!

After getting the runaround from 3 different aides, I just let it loose... "you guys are even more gutless than I thought, how can you not know jack about this and claim to be "strong on leadership"?

heh, by the way, when's johnny boy releasing those military records?

I doubt they'll be taking a call from me anytime soon again but screw it, it was worth it for a laugh at least after they proved useless and ignorant.

Forum List

Back