Semolina

Selivan

Gold Member
Jan 17, 2018
USSR
This is one of the most favorite dishes in Russia ...
As a rule, preparing for breakfast ... with milk

-------------------------------
For children, sick people in hospitals, workers, peasants and for the Soviet Army

Манная крупа — Википедия

manka.JPG

porridge? I thought people quit eating that shit back in the 1800s
You guys dont mow your lawns and eat porridge.. No wonder the world hates you

-------------------------------
For children, sick people in hospitals, workers, peasants and for the Soviet Army

Манная крупа — Википедия

View attachment 179713

Southern US breakfast is grits.. Great with cheese and bacon. Or spicy gravy..

cheese-and-bacon-grits.jpg

Really like those Russian buckwheat recipes.. You can make a good porridge out of that also. Pancakes too.

51xA-MuJcbL.jpg

i didn't look real close but looks like its CREAM of WHEAT Breakfast Cereal or porridge which has been sold in USA Grocery Stores for all my 68 years . And SEMOLINA , i think thats 'eyetalian' or just the proper name for some variety Wheat .

i didn't look real close but looks like its CREAM of WHEAT Breakfast Cereal or porridge which has been sold in USA Grocery Stores for all my 68 years . And SEMOLINA , i think thats 'eyetalian' or just the proper name for some variety Wheat .

right-----cream of wheat is semolina------the white stuff
(with butter on top and a sprinkle of sugar------a bit better
than OATMEAL <yuck>)

and its like flavorless Grits [imo] except for color and best served stiff with sausage or pork gravy or any meat gravy , salt and pepper [imo] . Though i haven't had 'Cream of Wheat in 50 years but have Grits every once in awhile .

and its like flavorless Grits [imo] except for color and best served stiff with sausage or pork gravy or any meat gravy , salt and pepper [imo] . Though i haven't had 'Cream of Wheat in 50 years but have Grits every once in awhile .

yes-----very bland------there are things that INDIANS---(the red dot on the forehead kind) do with semolina that is mostly
a very sweet thing-----rarely spicy. I think greeks do something with it------like also sweet

i use Grits , Cream of Wheat , oatmeal , potato , noodles and most all heavy starch with Meat Gravy , salt , pepper or plain as a belly filler . I have never liked sweet except in my Mothers Blueberry Pie or her made from scratch 'white cake' Rosie .

It doesn't look very appetizing.

Here in NW Ohio, semolina is usually used to make pasta. There really isn't a whole lot of Russians around here.

i use Grits , Cream of Wheat , oatmeal , potato , noodles and most all heavy starch with Meat Gravy , salt , pepper or plain as a belly filler . I have never liked sweet except in my Mothers Blueberry Pie or her made from scratch 'white cake' Rosie .

I am a jew------joooos don't do gravy. for joooos
the 'au jus' stuff that seeps out of beef is "gravy"---
but adding milk and a thickener to meat juice is not a
KOSHER thing to do ----------if anything "gravy" can
be stock plus meat juice plus -MAYBE a bit of thickener.
and even then------one cannot put butter on the baked
potato. It's cultural

It doesn't look very appetizing.

Here in NW Ohio, semolina is usually used to make pasta. There really isn't a whole lot of Russians around here.

semolina is HIGH GLUTEN wheat flour from wheat sometimes
called "winter wheat" ------lots and lots of uses---pasta,
cereal type things, cake type things------it is also MILLED
in a specific way-----not like the betty crocker stuff. Russians
do all grains as Kasha-----boil it and eat it ------like rice

if i am not mistaken i think its summed up in the WORD Kosher . 50 years ago i worked in the 'RITZ PLAZA' Hotel on Collins in Miami Beach as a Salad man and Kitchen Steward . -------- no mixing of Meat and Milk and all under supervision of a Resident Rabbi and then Resident Manager Mr. Schwartz for 60 bucks clear a week . Good job , i liked it . They were going to take me to Grosingers in New York . One time my 18 year old wife walked into the Synagogue wearing a pair of shorts , Rabbi went crazy Rosie . [chuckle]

KASHA and or boiled grains are good . Once again , boiled and then Gravy Rosie .

i saw lots of 'nazi tatoos' , lots of little old , tiny people walking the streets . At 6 foot 3 and 220 pounds i looked like a giant . I worked in their [little old ladies] apartments painting for cash and lunch . Paint the cupboards for maybe 10 bucks and a nice lunch . One time a guy gave me a job to tear up some carpet in an apartment . I had no money at all . As i was ripping up the carpet i found a neatly folded Dollar bill at the entrance Rosie .

Forum List

Back