Semitic origin of European and Germanic languages

Theo Vennemann:

The thesis that English has been structurally influenced in its historical development by Celtic substrata has a long tradition; cf. Preusler 1956 and Tristram 1999 for overviews of research in this domain. Even older is the thesis that Insular Celtic in its turn has been structurally influenced in its historical development by Hamito-Semitic substrata; cf. Morris Jones 1900, Pokorny 1927-30, Gensler 1993, Vennemann 1995: §1.
The research strategy for discovering Celtic influences in English is this: Wherever English deviates structurally from general Germanic (including Anglo-Saxon Old English) and also from other contact languages, chiefly Scandinavian Germanic and French, while at the same time agreeing with Insular Celtic, especially Welsh, that feature is interpreted as owed (directly or indirectly) to Celtic influence.

However, an interesting question arises immediately: Considering that Germanic and Celtic are both Indo-European languages, how did Insular Celtic come to differ in its structural type from general Indo-European in the first place, and indeed sufficiently so to drag English too away from its Germanic and indeed Indo-European typology?

The non-Indo-European structural features of Insular Celtic have all been shown by Morris Jones and Pokorny to occur in Hamito-Semitic, and by Gensler to form a characteristic bundle of isoglosses just of Hamito-Semitic and Insular Celtic. Thus, we have a second research strategy, this time for discovering Hamito-Semitic influences in Insular Celtic: Wherever Insular Celtic deviates structurally from Indo-European (in particular, where it is sufficiently known, from Continental Celtic), while at the same time agreeing with Hamito-Semitic, that feature is interpreted as owed (directly or indirectly) to Hamito-Semitic influence.

What follows from this for the study of English? An answer was suggested by Pokorny (1959: 161, my translation): “It is interesting to note that very many of the above-mentioned non-Indo-European elements of Insular Celtic have also, via Celtic, passed into English which has thereby received an un-Germanic, even a downright non-Indo-European character.”

I have taken up Pokorny's suggestion of transitive loaning and studied a number of shared Semitic-Celtic-English features in this context (Vennemann forthc. 2001, 2002, forthc.), viz. the rise of the verbal noun and the progressive verbal aspect, the subject disagreement rule (for English: the Northern subject rule), the lack of the external possessor construction, and the development of word-order. In the present paper I would like to dicuss this model of structural language development in the British Isles (cf. the title of Wagner 1959 for this formulation) and present additional material.

English and Celtic in Contact: Semitic —> Celtic —> English: the transitivity of language contact

semitic.png

Semitic --> Celtic --> English: The transitivity of language contact

Major European languages such English, German, French, etc are members of Indo-European family of languages.

Arabic and Hebrew languages do not belong to Indo-European family of languages.

So, it is hard to imagine that European languages have Arabic/Hebrew origin.

BUT also the little Hungarian are members of Indo-European family of languages. :)

"It’s like singing," says one fan who can’t speak a word of it.
By James Thomson, for CNN 9 December, 2013
Hungarian: Europe's trickiest language? | CNN Travel
Uncertain origins

There are various theories about Hungarian’s origins, but its grammar and vocabulary suggest links to Finnish (and its close cousin, Estonian) and a handful of languages spoken in Russia -- together known as the Finno-Ugric languages.

Yet Hungary is not, like Finland, on the edge of Europe but slap-bang in the middle of it.

For that reason it’s traded words with some of the continent’s big linguistic players.

And although it’s borrowed some English and other foreign words in turn, there are fewer than you might expect and you won’t come across them -- or recognize them when you do -- very often.
View attachment 67298

English young learners speak about the Hungarian language. (English)

Hungarian, Estonian and Finnish do not belong to Indo-European family of languages.

Slavic languages such as Russian, Ukrainian, Polish, etc belong to Indo-European family of languages.

Thanks. Yes I was wrong. I now understand the cause about this is, why very alien the English language. To me it is very difficult the grammar. I studied Russian till a few years, when I was a kid. ( but, I do not wanted this, it was a command) I remember that Russian grammar is similar to English grammar. I like the English language, but I'm still deaf and dumb, because most often I have only read and write English.

Forum List

Back