Selling Spelling Manor

Sarah G

When Nothing Goes Right, Go Left
Mar 4, 2009
NW Ohio
Emptying a Castle to Head to the Condo

It makes perfect sense that Candy Spelling, the widow of the hugely successful producer Aaron Spelling and former resident of a notoriously huge Los Angeles house, would see her life in terms of old Hollywood glamour.

Recalling the grand entrances once made by the likes of Ronald Reagan and Rock Hudson at the Spelling mansion, she invokes “Gone With the Wind.” But as the camera pulls back to show her in the empty vastness of the house she’s about to vacate, a different American classic comes to mind: “Citizen Kane.”

That comparison keeps coming back, nipping at our heels as Ms. Spelling gives us a guided tour in “Selling Spelling Manor,” a two-part festival of voyeurism and self-promotion beginning Thursday on HGTV.

Candy Spelling and Her Manor for Sale on HGTV - Review - NYTimes.com

OB-OH672_0613sp_E_20110613175042.jpg

I mean, really. They had hundreds of dolls in a temperature controlled room, a media room that was amazing, a wine cellar with hundreds of bottles of wine. Candy showed us her attic, it was actually a warehouse full of things like luggage, a huge dollhouse that she will give her grandchild..

The house is 57,000 sq. ft., she's selling it for $150,000,000.

They found a buyer who gave her 30 days to get the fuck out. :lol:

I recorded it earlier and am watching it now. I cannot believe anyone lives like this and and she has been there alone since her husband died.

YIKES that is some pad !

It was the saddest thing ever, seeing it empty and her walking out of it crying. It's like a cold slap of reality. Who would ever need all of that?

There is a part 2. She now has a condo but it won't be ready for a year.

Wow.

She'll be paying some serious capital gains tax.

She's auctioning all the stuff off as we finish up part 1. Each doll, bottle of wine, the silver place settings for 50 people..

Forum List

Back