Sell The Vatican, Feed The World

Fact is conservatives give more to charity than liberals do. So she's not that far off in her opinion.

did you know that as a country we donate $200 BILLION a year to charties, and that ONLY 20 billion a year is donated to the needy....so $180 billion of that $200 billion each year is donated towards, parks, libraries, museums, the arts, particular causes etc....

when i heard that on c-span the other day, my JAW DROPPED....I had no idea how little charity actually went to the needy.....yet donating to art is equal to feeding the hungry, both are charities allowed to be written off on your taxes....

so, my question is, if conservatives are the ones donating the majority of their money towards charities, then why in the world do they not donate their money to charities that actually help the needy instead of all of these other $180 billion worth of causes not related to the neediest?
Tax write offs for those foundations plus the government gives grants to many these facilities or organizations.

There are more but here is a few examples,
Marc Rich's ex-wife donated $450000 to the Clinton library. Marc Rich received a pardon.
Saudi Royal Family donated $10000000 to the Clinton Library.
A sheik from the UAE donated $1 million to the Bush library.
Moon donated $1 million to the Bush Library.

There are currently over 30,000 Private Foundations, 1,400 Federal Grant Money Programs, 24,000 State Programs, 20,000 Scholarship Programs.

This year alone over $1.5 Trillion Dollars In Federal Grant Money will be given away by Private Foundations and Federal Grant Money Sources.

Private Foundation Grants

Foundations must by law give away at least 5% of it’s total assets every year, to keep their tax-exemption status.

Foundations and Agencies are dedicated to providing a common good for society by helping businesses and individuals with FREE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT GRANTS!

It’s up to the individual foundation and agency on how they distribute their funds, some just give to businesses and other’s give money for everyday expenses.
Calm down and hold your horses Rodi, you have been wayyyy too quick to jump to your conclusions lately, I must say! ;)

....I am uncertain that it is even true that republicans donate more to Charity than Liberals... as the Conservatives are CONSTANTLY posting...and reminding liberals of when there are discussions on helping the needy in our society.

IN FACT, when I saw that $200 billion is donated a year in this country and only $20 billion went to the poor and needy causes and the rest to the ARTS and other worldly causes, I thought FOR CERTAIN that it was the Liberals donating to these causes for the most part and NOT the conservatives, and that the conservatives were probably the ones who actually DID donate this 20 billion towards the poor for the most part.

The reason I worded it that way to Lonestar is because I was "playing" with his BOAST of sorts.... of being better than liberals by conservatives giving more to charity....yahdeedah that is said ad nausea....

Girl, you gotta get this chip and anger off your shoulder....I know life has been tough, but remember, it is not the Party of those that screwed you, but it is the evil actions of those that screwed you....no?

care

did you know that as a country we donate $200 BILLION a year to charties, and that ONLY 20 billion a year is donated to the needy....so $180 billion of that $200 billion each year is donated towards, parks, libraries, museums, the arts, particular causes etc....

when i heard that on c-span the other day, my JAW DROPPED....I had no idea how little charity actually went to the needy.....yet donating to art is equal to feeding the hungry, both are charities allowed to be written off on your taxes....

so, my question is, if conservatives are the ones donating the majority of their money towards charities, then why in the world do they not donate their money to charities that actually help the needy instead of all of these other $180 billion worth of causes not related to the neediest?
Tax write offs for those foundations plus the government gives grants to many these facilities or organizations.

There are more but here is a few examples,
Marc Rich's ex-wife donated $450000 to the Clinton library. Marc Rich received a pardon.
Saudi Royal Family donated $10000000 to the Clinton Library.
A sheik from the UAE donated $1 million to the Bush library.
Moon donated $1 million to the Bush Library.

There are currently over 30,000 Private Foundations, 1,400 Federal Grant Money Programs, 24,000 State Programs, 20,000 Scholarship Programs.

This year alone over $1.5 Trillion Dollars In Federal Grant Money will be given away by Private Foundations and Federal Grant Money Sources.

Private Foundation Grants

Foundations must by law give away at least 5% of it’s total assets every year, to keep their tax-exemption status.

Foundations and Agencies are dedicated to providing a common good for society by helping businesses and individuals with FREE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT GRANTS!

It’s up to the individual foundation and agency on how they distribute their funds, some just give to businesses and other’s give money for everyday expenses.
Calm down and hold your horses Rodi, you have been wayyyy too quick to jump to your conclusions lately, I must say! ;)

....I am uncertain that it is even true that republicans donate more to Charity than Liberals... as the Conservatives are CONSTANTLY posting...and reminding liberals of when there are discussions on helping the needy in our society.

IN FACT, when I saw that $200 billion is donated a year in this country and only $20 billion went to the poor and needy causes and the rest to the ARTS and other worldly causes, I thought FOR CERTAIN that it was the Liberals donating to these causes for the most part and NOT the conservatives, and that the conservatives were probably the ones who actually DID donate this 20 billion towards the poor for the most part.

The reason I worded it that way to Lonestar is because I was "playing" with his BOAST of sorts.... of being better than liberals by conservatives giving more to charity....yahdeedah that is said ad nausea....

Girl, you gotta get this chip and anger off your shoulder....I know life has been tough, but remember, it is not the Party of those that screwed you, but it is the evil actions of those that screwed you....no?

care
Who mentioned party affiliations?

Crooks and those who corrupt come from all walks and can call themselves whatever they like but that does not cover the fact the are still corrupt and rotten to the core.

I went for a job interview at one the local charitable organizations thrift stores a few years back. Had no clue until after the interview that particular nationally known charity actually sells franchises. The guy who happened to own three or four of those stores in that area is wealthy. Of course he is only required to give five percent of his franchise profits to actual charity. That 5% of charity he passes out it year can be going to whatever charitable purpose he chooses.

I want to know when donating to charity became a pissing match?
and I always love how cons have to point out they donate more, isn't the point of donating to charity suppose to be a selfless act?

Any other sweeping generalizations you care to make there?

Fact is conservatives give more to charity than liberals do. So she's not that far off in her opinion.

Remember the 1000 points of light? That was a GOP push to drop any social welfare committment to the needy in favor of voluntary charity.

the reason i say this is because the Bible does not begrudge you for being wealthy...

I know of a carpenter fella who would disagree

Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.

But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.

Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

I've also been to the Vatican and was awestruck. St. Peter's is one of the most beautiful buildings I've ever seen.

But seeing the 2,000 years worth of plundered treasure and collected art made me feel nauseous. Gorgeous, ornate, stupefyingly expensive churches are not in keeping with the teachings of Jesus, no matter how pretty or impressive they may be.

As for the suggestion that those who would buy the Vatican's booty should just donate their money to charity, sure that would be great. The point is, most of the potential buyers don't have the altruistic incentive that the Church does.

There isn't a Christian justification for amassing enormous wealth worth hundreds of billions of dollars for the glorification of a Church based on the principle of helping the needy. The idea is that if they acted on the principles of Jesus, they could sell off much of their Earthly possessions and donate the profit to the greater good of man to help the people Christ spent his short life constantly trying to help. Then they'd have all the riches they need in the kingdom of Heaven, instead of living incredibly well on Earth in direct contradiction to the principles of selflessness and charity they purport to advocate. Jesus spoke more about helping the poor in the Bible than discussing any other single subject. Sure, the Church gives to some worthwhile charities, but they could give infinitely more (as in hundreds of billions more) if they weren't concerned with keeping all their opulent stuff.

Last edited:
I want to know when donating to charity became a pissing match?
and I always love how cons have to point out they donate more, isn't the point of donating to charity suppose to be a selfless act?

I thought it was supposed to be for the tax write off.

I don't like Sarah Silverman.

I've been to the Vatican, however. It is the most spectacular building in the world I have ever seen, by far. Its amazing that a church has so much wealth yet preaches a life of poverty.

SS is pretty annoying and she tries so hard to be original but falls down every time.

But, she does make a good point about the Vatican. It's weird how the Vatican became exactly the institution Jesus rebuked and condemned.

Forum List

Back