Sell The Pill OTC?

I have a cousin that uses birth control pills and she has had 7 kids since she started using them. They don't seem to work for her at all. For some reason, it seems impossible for her to keep them held firmly between her knees. She said if she was a better dancer she would have used the rhythm methoid.

This article makes a great case for allowing the birth control pill to be sold over the counter. What are your thoughts?

Op-Ed Contributor - Let the Pill Go Free - NYTimes.com

Forget selling it, give it away for free to all girls...require parental permission for those under 18. There are side effects after all. I'm also in favor of the same type of program with condoms for boys and men.

Same as my reply, earlier, about the county health dept.
Can't you just go in and ask and have them given to you?

No, hortySir. You have to make an appointment to see a doctor there and only then can a female get the pill.

I have mixed feelings about this.

I am not opposed to the pill. Although, I hate the idea that the availability of the pill may provide young immature individuals opportunities to experiment in sexual relationships or even encourage it. I doubt that happens a lot, but it is something that I think about.

As for selling the pill OTC, my wife was on the pill for periods in between the births of our three children. We understand the risks involved and great or small those risks need to be heeded. That is why I think it might be better if the pill remained prescription only. Because when a woman goes to get her next prescription the doctor can do his annual exams if that time has come and seek to avoid any issues as the woman ages.

Immie

Forget selling it, give it away for free to all girls...require parental permission for those under 18. There are side effects after all. I'm also in favor of the same type of program with condoms for boys and men.

In the face of underage abortions, parents are out of picture altogether - kid's rights and all that. No parental notification/consent at all. It would stand to reason then that parents would definitely be excluded from the picture where consent to use birth control is concerned.

A program for condoms, Againshelia? Such as what?

Such as ... school systems are passing out condoms to boys left and right and have been doing it for a number of years - it's all a part of sex ed in school - which is required whether parents agree with it or not. Girls are probably referred to Planned Parenthood for birth control/abortion remedies.

Children have parents for a reason - but parental guidance is completely negated by law in one way or another. Children's rights trump parental rights straight on down the line in just about every facet of their lives.

In the face of underage abortions, parents are out of picture altogether - kid's rights and all that. No parental notification/consent at all. It would stand to reason then that parents would definitely be excluded from the picture where consent to use birth control is concerned.

Such as ... school systems are passing out condoms to boys left and right and have been doing it for a number of years - it's all a part of sex ed in school - which is required whether parents agree with it or not. Girls are probably referred to Planned Parenthood for birth control/abortion remedies.

Children have parents for a reason - but parental guidance is completely negated by law in one way or another. Children's rights trump parental rights straight on down the line in just about every facet of their lives.

That is true, but it is the parents that get the blame when the kid screws up. The government washes its hands and says, "you are the one that is responsible for what your child has done."

Immie

That is true, but it is the parents that get the blame when the kid screws up. The government washes its hands and says, "you are the one that is responsible for what your child has done."

Immie

I hear you.

This article makes a great case for allowing the birth control pill to be sold over the counter. What are your thoughts?

Walk into any planed parenthood and they will hand you a bag full of condoms regardless if you are male or female. But if you want BC you will still have to see a DR. Girls need to carry condoms as well as the boys. BC does not prevent STD's

Same as my reply, earlier, about the county health dept.
Can't you just go in and ask and have them given to you?

No, hortySir. You have to make an appointment to see a doctor there and only then can a female get the pill.

they will still give condoms to both sexes.

Walk into any planed parenthood and they will hand you a bag full of condoms regardless if you are male or female. But if you want BC you will still have to see a DR. Girls need to carry condoms as well as the boys. BC does not prevent STD's
Nor do condoms prevent all STDs

Ooly one thing does

Ooly one thing does

But we can't discuss that one thing, under any circumstances, because to some the idea is impractical.

Immie

That's only allowed in free countries. you dolts have to get prmi$$$ion from your slave ma$ter$.
Often going by the last names of Goldman, Goldberg, Silverstein, Silverman or some other name often including the mention of precious metals.

Hey. I don't make this shit up. Open the yellow pages !

Such as GIVING them to anyone that asks, or to everyone who will take them.

Ooly one thing does

But we can't discuss that one thing, under any circumstances, because to some the idea is impractical.

Immie

I disagree, and I know several people who have waited to be married before sex, or to be engaged before sex. Plan for the best, prepare for the worst.... No reason we can't teach abstinence and the values of abstinence while providing birthcontrol and condoms for those that aren't listening.

Ooly one thing does

Immie

I disagree, and I know several people who have waited to be married before sex, or to be engaged before sex. Plan for the best, prepare for the worst.... No reason we can't teach abstinence and the values of abstinence while providing birthcontrol and condoms for those that aren't listening.

You and I agree on that, but many don't think we should teach abstinence at all because it is unreasonable to expect young adults to abstain. Note: I do not think we should teach "abstinence only".

Immie

Immie

You and I agree on that, but many don't think we should teach abstinence at all because it is unreasonable to expect young adults to abstain. Note: I do not think we should teach "abstinence only".

Immie

I do not believe in abstinence only but I do believe that facts should be taught and the only safe sex is no sex. Then there is "safer" sex, and that should be taught but it should be stressed that there is no guarantee that a condom will prevent any sexual transmitted diseases. Heck, they aren't even one of the most effective means of birth control.

Where did you get this list of side effects, may I ask? Most of them I have never heard of.

Try reading the 10 page warning that comes with every packet of pills.

And what is to stop someone over the age of 35 who smokes from buying the pills OTC? The pill is great at regulating your period why would you want to stop just because your getting older?

anal seapage!!!!???? What's up with that???? :lol:

Immie, I am not violently opposed to a class on abstinence. I'd structure the criteria differently mebbe, but I can see value in a course on sexual ethics, behavior etc. Develop some critical thinking skills a la sexuality, probably do a whole world of good.

What I do object to is a sex ed 101 class, meant to cover the "basics", that uses any significant portion of time teaching abstinence. If the kids still have not mastered the plumbing or the birds and the bees, I don't think it's proper to diverge off into a values course.

It is also painfully obvious that some sexually repressed types see "teaching abstinence" as an alternative to sex ed 101.

Ignorance kills. The kids have to survive into adulthood before we can hope to refine them further.....imo, sex ed 101 is a necessity of life.

Immie, I am not violently opposed to a class on abstinence. I'd structure the criteria differently mebbe, but I can see value in a course on sexual ethics, behavior etc. Develop some critical thinking skills a la sexuality, probably do a whole world of good.

What I do object to is a sex ed 101 class, meant to cover the "basics", that uses any significant portion of time teaching abstinence. If the kids still have not mastered the plumbing or the birds and the bees, I don't think it's proper to diverge off into a values course.

It is also painfully obvious that some sexually repressed types see "teaching abstinence" as an alternative to sex ed 101.

Ignorance kills. The kids have to survive into adulthood before we can hope to refine them further.....imo, sex ed 101 is a necessity of life.

You and I disagree. I think abstinence should be a focus of Sex Ed. Sex Ed should not be teaching how to have sex or that it is OKAY to have sex whenever, where ever and with whomever you want to have sex.

We should be teaching the biology of sex not the physics of sex.

We should be teaching what happens to a young woman's body and a young man's. We should be teaching what happens after sex, not how to have sex. I guarantee that we don't need to teach kids how to have sex. They will figure that out on their own in their own time.

We need to teach about sexually transmitted disease and the consequences of having sex whether it is intercourse, anal or oral; gay or straight. We don't have to teach them how to do it or that it is okay for them to do so.

Abstinence should be stressed as the only way of preventing pregnancy and STD's. We should not be sweeping it under the rug because we simply think that it is unreasonable to expect our children to abstain.

Ignorance kills? What do you want to teach them? Insert P in V; Edited for inappropriateness And if the boy doesn't wait for the girl then he is naughty? That does not need to be taught in Sex Ed.

What kills is not teaching them that they can wait until they are married. That they can choose not to have sex with every one (male or female) that they think they "love". Teaching that they can do that is what kills. Not teaching them that it is acceptable to wait until they are ready is what kills.

Immie

Forum List

Back