Sell The Pill OTC?

Sell something with proven harmful side effects OTC so more people can use it without an adequate explanation of the dangers? Why not, can't be any worse for them than smoking.

I agree - some of these birth control pills are really bad news and should not be sold OTC. They can cause serious problems like heart attacks, blood clots, high blood pressure - and you have to ask yourself if it's really worth the risk. Some of these manufacturers are really pushing the envelope when it comes to manipulating what comes naturally. What are the long-term effects?

And selling OTC is an open invitation to very young girls who are too immature to grasp the side effects. Sometimes the pleasure of the moment deserves a little thought before indulging in the pleasure.

It's a good question though, Maddie. Maybe some of the guys on here are parents of girls and could express their feelings on the subject. Seems like when it comes to their little girls, Daddy is usually ready to have the old guns loaded when they meet the young buck who shows up on their doorstep!

• Banned
Did you read the article, Quantum Windbag? You must weigh the disadvantages to keeping the pill prescription against the advantages of having it be over the counter before reaching a conclusion. No, the pill is not perfect but in the main, it is counterindicated for women over 35 with heart trouble or who smoke. I'd say most mature women can make informed choices and requiring a script is preventing free access to the drug so many need.

No I did not read the article, I already know more about the side effects of the pill than I need to. The pill screws with the hormonal balance of women, and introduces an artificial hormone into their system that actually reduces their enjoyment of sex.

Combined OCs

Side effects of birth control pills can include:

• Increased risk of breast and cervical cancers
• Increased risk of blood clotting, heart attack and stroke
• Migraines and headaches
• Gall bladder disease
• Increased blood pressure
• Weight gain
• Mood changes
• Acne and/or oily skin
• Nausea/Vomiting (especially at the beginning)
• Nausea
• Irregular bleeding or spotting
• Benign liver tumors
• Breast tenderness
• Yeast overgrowth and infection

Progestin-Only Methods
• Common Side-Effects (not comprehensive)
o Untimely bleeding or spotting between periods
o Prolonged menstrual bleeding (8 days or more)
o No bleeding at all (amenorrhea) for several months or over a year
o Headache (very common)
o Nervousness/anxiety
o Lower abdominal pain
o Dizziness
o Loss of sex drive (libido)
o Depression
o Acne and/or oily skin
o Change of appetite
o Weight gain
o Breast tenderness (mastalgia)
o Increased facial or body hair growth (hirsutism) or hair loss
o Whitish vaginal discharge (leukorrhea)
o Excessive growth of body/facial hair or hair loss
o Infection the implants site for Norplant
o A brief period of pain or itching
o Enlarged ovarian follicles
o Bone density loss

• Less Common Serious Health Hazards
o Ectopic pregnancy
o Cancer

Do you seriously believe that selling them OTC, and exposing more women to an artificial chemical, is a good idea? Most people think that going the other way, and reducing the number of chemicals in someone's body, is the way to go.

Where did you get this list of side effects, may I ask? Most of them I have never heard of.

Try reading the 10 page warning that comes with every packet of pills.

And what is to stop someone over the age of 35 who smokes from buying the pills OTC? The pill is great at regulating your period why would you want to stop just because your getting older?

I agree - some of these birth control pills are really bad news and should not be sold OTC. They can cause serious problems like heart attacks, blood clots, high blood pressure - and you have to ask yourself if it's really worth the risk. Some of these manufacturers are really pushing the envelope when it comes to manipulating what comes naturally. What are the long-term effects?

And selling OTC is an open invitation to very young girls who are too immature to grasp the side effects. Sometimes the pleasure of the moment deserves a little thought before indulging in the pleasure.

It's a good question though, Maddie. Maybe some of the guys on here are parents of girls and could express their feelings on the subject. Seems like when it comes to their little girls, Daddy is usually ready to have the old guns loaded when they meet the young buck who shows up on their doorstep!

Aluminum baseball bats work pretty good as well.

Greeting the creep at the door with a bat can be quite intimidating.

Immie

Aluminum baseball bats work pretty good as well.

Greeting the creep at the door with a bat can be quite intimidating.

Immie
:lol:
I made it a point to take my time cleaning my pistol when my grand-daughter brought over her latest boyfriend.
I haven't seen him in a while.
:eusa_whistle:

Hell's bells - if you listen to the short list of side effects in commercials it's enough to scare the crap out of you. And the mass tort lawyers are all over it - Yaz, Yazmine and a couple others ... suing over the bad side effects.

Did you read the article, Quantum Windbag? You must weigh the disadvantages to keeping the pill prescription against the advantages of having it be over the counter before reaching a conclusion. No, the pill is not perfect but in the main, it is counterindicated for women over 35 with heart trouble or who smoke. I'd say most mature women can make informed choices and requiring a script is preventing free access to the drug so many need.

I'll have to disagree with you on this one.

As a doctor, I know that OCPs are not without danger and I feel should remain by prescription only. The risk of clots and strokes, expecially in smokers over 35 is SO great and so potentially devastating, that that reason alone would be why I'd keep it behind the counter.

But, most docs are willing to prescribe a year's supply at a time for patients. And when you come back yearly for the prescription renewal, that is a good time to discuss pap smear and perform a breast exam.

BC pills are also not one size fits all. Different women require different strengths.

This article makes a great case for allowing the birth control pill to be sold over the counter. What are your thoughts?

Op-Ed Contributor - Let the Pill Go Free - NYTimes.com

Forget selling it, give it away for free to all girls...require parental permission for those under 18. There are side effects after all. I'm also in favor of the same type of program with condoms for boys and men.

A program for condoms, Againshelia? Such as what?

This article makes a great case for allowing the birth control pill to be sold over the counter. What are your thoughts?

Op-Ed Contributor - Let the Pill Go Free - NYTimes.com

Forget selling it, give it away for free to all girls...require parental permission for those under 18. There are side effects after all. I'm also in favor of the same type of program with condoms for boys and men.

Same as my reply, earlier, about the county health dept.
Can't you just go in and ask and have them given to you?

Forum List

Back