sell everything and give it to the poor

The Church cannot sell what it does not own. While the trappings of wealth do not sit comfortably with me as an individual.... No one can sell those things... not even the Pope. He doesn't have the authority. No one does.

The Catholic Church certainly does own those valuable artifacts it paid to have created. The Church most certainly owns the gold its followers donated. The Bishop owns the ring people kiss, that ring will stay on his finger when he is buried.

I'm Catholic and I AM getting my house in order.

Locally, Churches are able to do much more - and my local Church certainly does. Most of the upkeep of the building is done by themselves - other than occasionally they employ the unemployed to undertake maintenance - that their salaries are paid from donations.

But the Catholic Church cannot sell what it does not own.

It certainly CAN sell what it does own, and it owns a LOT.

We already do more than any other group on earth. Should we bury rings with the Bishops? Probably not. But in the scheme of things, I'm not gonna lose sleep over it. Nor will I allow fools like blu to demand we do yet more just to relieve him of his guilt. I do more than my share for others. I am comfortable with how much I do for others. What other's choose to do nor not do is not my concern.... as long as they don't bitch about my Church not doing enough.

I'm not comfortable with a millionaire Bishop picking my pockets.

The Catholic Church certainly does own those valuable artifacts it paid to have created. The Church most certainly owns the gold its followers donated. The Bishop owns the ring people kiss, that ring will stay on his finger when he is buried.

We already do more than any other group on earth. Should we bury rings with the Bishops? Probably not. But in the scheme of things, I'm not gonna lose sleep over it. Nor will I allow fools like blu to demand we do yet more just to relieve him of his guilt. I do more than my share for others. I am comfortable with how much I do for others. What other's choose to do nor not do is not my concern.... as long as they don't bitch about my Church not doing enough.

Is someone forcing you to give?

Is someone forcing you to remain in the Church?

Out of all the back and forth bullshit in this thread, it seems that very few people here realize that countless people, organizations, and whole nations constantly send aid to Africa. The Africans do it to themselves. If every wealthy man, and organization gave two thirds of their wealth to Africa, it would still be an impoverished shit-hole run by murderous war lords, and despots.

Out of all the back and forth bullshit in this thread, it seems that very few people here realize that countless people, organizations, and whole nations constantly send aid to Africa. The Africans do it to themselves. If every wealthy man, and organization gave two thirds of their wealth to Africa, it would still be an impoverished shit-hole run by murderous war lords, and despots.

Which I have already said.

I think you have the church confused with the gubment......

Is someone forcing you to give?

Forcing? No. Lying to me about where the money goes? Yes. Enriching himself at my expense? Yes.

Is someone forcing you to remain in the Church?

My Faith compels me to remain in the Church.

Actually they are quite similar. The charitable groups that operate independently Vatican's financial control are first rate. The administrative side of the church ("little c") is a LOT like a wasteful government bureaucracy.

Which I have already said.

It will continue to go ignored.

Actually they are quite similar. The charitable groups that operate independently Vatican's financial control are first rate. The administrative side of the church ("little c") is a LOT like a wasteful government bureaucracy.

And yet, we have survived since Christ. Go figure.

The problem with selling everything you have is that, as a rule, you can really only do that once. The poor will remain, and the next time you want to help the poor, you will not be able to do so, but you will instead be one of them.

So, that kind of philosophy is pretty much self-defeating in practical terms.

I wonder if maybe that wasn't what was actually being said?

And when you sell everything you have, it only ends up in other hands and maybe they will not be inclined to spread the wealth or use it to create jobs, etc. So, again, the utility of that "advice" seems a bit dubious.

By the time most successful people would have replaced all the possessions they sold, the poor would be poor again.

Yeah...Hey Zeus said, "The Poor You Will Always Have With You."

He also said to feed and care for them. Right now as we speak there are over 900,000,000 dying or suffering from malnutrition...most of them children. Not to worry...as long as the Cadillac Escalades are still on sale there will be a market. Modern Christianity is the biggest joke in the history of mankind. People with means could care less about the poor. Hell...what else is new. When Hey Zeus told the rich young ruler to sell what he had and give it to the poor if you read between the lines the guy didn't do it. The scripture says he went away saddened to hear Hey Zeus' words.

By the time most successful people would have replaced all the possessions they sold, the poor would be poor again.

He also said to feed and care for them. Right now as we speak there are over 900,000,000 dying or suffering from malnutrition...most of them children. Not to worry...as long as the Cadillac Escalades are still on sale there will be a market. Modern Christianity is the biggest joke in the history of mankind. People with means could care less about the poor. Hell...what else is new. When Hey Zeus told the rich young ruler to sell what he had and give it to the poor if you read between the lines the guy didn't do it. The scripture says he went away saddened to hear Hey Zeus' words.

So, sell everything you have and give it to the poor.

I lived that bullshit till I was over 60 years old. I never did believe it but finally decided to speak up about it. My third and fourth grade teachers in McKenzie and Milan, TN would assign each member of the class a bible verse to memorize on Mondays and we had to recite it back from memory to the class on Fridays. Talk about 'cher brainwashing.

You know why the Muslims are growing faster than any other religion? All of them begin to learn the Koran as soon as they can talk and they are required by their church to memorize every word in it. Some Muslims can recite the entire book from memory before they're out of their teens.

Jesus loves me this I know, for the bible tells me so

Now I lay me down to sleep
I pray the Lord my soul to keep
If I should die before I wake
I pray the Lord my soul to take

You ever heard such a crock of shit in your life?

Last edited:
That's good n all, and ima let you finish, but srsly:

iX6GP.jpg

Is that big kid trying to eat the little kids arm?

I lived that bullshit till I was over 60 years old. I never did believe it but finally decided to speak up about it. My third and fourth grade teachers in McKenzie and Milan, TN would assign each member of the class a bible verse to memorize on Mondays and we had to recite it back from memory to the class on Fridays. Talk about 'cher brainwashing.

You know why the Muslims are growing faster than any other religion? All of them begin to learn the Koran as soon as they can talk and they are required by their church to memorize every word in it. Some Muslims can recite the entire book from memory before they're out of their teens.

Jesus loves me this I know, for the bible tells me so

Now I lay me down to sleep
I pray the Lord my soul to keep
If I should die before I wake
I pray the Lord my soul to take

You ever heard such a crock of shit in your life?

Trust me on one thing.... I have absolutely no interest in your personal experience of the Catholic Church. This thread is about the Catholic Church's 'wealth' and whether they should sell it and give it all to the poor. I have, in response to that, provided factual information as to why they cannot do that - because they don't own most of their supposed wealth. And, even if they did do that, it would solve nothing - and the Church would no longer have the financial resources to help them again.

The degree of compassion contained in your post reveals your practical IQ...zero.

It's a damned messageboard. Compassion is not 'revealed' in posts on a messageboard, it is revealed by the way one lives one's life.

Twit.

I knew you would have the answer. I'll bet I have grandkids older than you.

Let's check it out. My oldest granddaughter is in Germany with her husband and my first great granddaughter. He has served two tours in Iraq and is waiting for his unit to be deployed to Afghanistan. My granddaughter is 26.

Last edited:

The degree of compassion contained in your post reveals your practical IQ...zero.
Get over yourself, and nobody cares how old you are. All that says is that you're a 13 year old boy with an inferiority complex, trying to get some kind of affirmation and respect from strangers that is clearly not earned.

Besides, your opinion of my practical IQ means jack shit to me, because my ASVAB scores, and outcome in life says otherwise.

Forum List

Back