self-publishing?

Dan

Aug 28, 2003
Aiken, SC
I know this is a huge stretch, but I figured I'd throw it out there:

Has anyone on here self-published anything before? The reason I ask is, myself and a few writer friends of mine have been complaining that there are little to no available outlets of "edgy" or "alternative" writing, for lack of a better term. My school has a literary magazine, but they're looking for unchallenging stuff, not really the kind of thing we're into. So, lately, I've been getting into the idea of a few of us, plus maybe a few local artists we like, putting together a small literary magazine of our own, nothing huge, maybe 30 or 40 pages. I really have no clue how to even go about doing this, so I was just wondering if anyone had any pointers or anything?

Dan said:
I know this is a huge stretch, but I figured I'd throw it out there:

Has anyone on here self-published anything before? The reason I ask is, myself and a few writer friends of mine have been complaining that there are little to no available outlets of "edgy" or "alternative" writing, for lack of a better term. My school has a literary magazine, but they're looking for unchallenging stuff, not really the kind of thing we're into. So, lately, I've been getting into the idea of a few of us, plus maybe a few local artists we like, putting together a small literary magazine of our own, nothing huge, maybe 30 or 40 pages. I really have no clue how to even go about doing this, so I was just wondering if anyone had any pointers or anything?

well there tons of services if you google self publishing.....plus i am sure there are small local publishing shops in your town.....we publish our own books and news letters for our company.....it is expensive.....and we give them away to clients....i guess you could sell advertising or bankroll the whole thing yourself....marketing and selling them would be the trick....or you could do the whole thing online?

i like this one: http://www.lulu.com/

Dan said:
Thanks for the info, Manu!

you are welcome...my brother is a lit agent in hollywierd for endevour if you want someone to read your stuff....he is pretty brutal though...

you are welcome...my brother is a lit agent in hollywierd for endevour if you want someone to read your stuff....he is pretty brutal though...

I would imagine you'd have to be to make it in that town. I think I'll keep working on my stuff before I try showing it to a big-time agent, thanks, though!

Forum List

Back