Self Dentistry... Gotta Love Our Dental Healthcare System O_o

tackyjan

Rookie
Jul 12, 2016
After shopping at amazon.com is that there seems to be an underground group of people who either do dental procedures on themselves or others.

If you choose an arbitrary item related to "fixing" a tooth, etc. then look at all the "Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought" items you will notice, as you do this several times, that people are buying stuff like professional dental equipment and supplies.

For example, take a look at this item...

I can't get the image of someone drilling a tooth in the back room of some hot, dusty warehouse in some strip mall on Main Street, USA.

Gotta love our Healthcare system! And who says it needs to change?

Jan

P.S. Someone (like 60 Minutes) should do a story on this and maybe even find and interview people who do this.

Yes and just think, you have the same thing in the abortion industry.

After shopping at amazon.com is that there seems to be an underground group of people who either do dental procedures on themselves or others.

If you choose an arbitrary item related to "fixing" a tooth, etc. then look at all the "Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought" items you will notice, as you do this several times, that people are buying stuff like professional dental equipment and supplies.

I can't get the image of someone drilling a tooth in the back room of some hot, dusty warehouse in some strip mall on Main Street, USA.

Jan

P.S. Someone (like 60 Minutes) should do a story on this and maybe even find and interview people who do this.

As the name of the product suggests (to those of us familiar with the English language), it's a temporary replacement until you can get to the dentist. Since, in my experience, if you're going to crack a tooth, it will invariably happen on a Sunday morning, these temporary replacements can often be a godsend.

Jan

As the name of the product suggests (to those of us familiar with the English language), it's a temporary replacement until you can get to the dentist. Since, in my experience, if you're going to crack a tooth, it will invariably happen on a Sunday morning, these temporary replacements can often be a godsend.

Agree. I've used something like this, and it's got nothing to do with "doing dental work". It's just capping off to protect the area from further damage/pain until it can be addressed, like a band aid.

Although in my opinion they missed a real opportunity here --- I would have called the product, "THE TOOTH? YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TOOTH!!" and got Jack Nicholson to model for the package.

This product or something similar can be found in the dental care aisle of any chain pharmacy, even Walmart. Been available for years. It's amazing how little some people know about...well, anything.

This product or something similar can be found in the dental care aisle of any chain pharmacy, even Walmart. Been available for years. It's amazing how little some people know about...well, anything.

Well TBH I didn't know about it until my tooth cracked and I needed one.

Jan

So what ?

We spend 8,500 per person per year.

It's going to come from somewhere.

Obamacare didn't fix a broken cost model.

But, until we innovate (and I certainly don't see this as a step in the right direction), the whole conversation is prattle.

With all due respect I think you guys are missing my main point. I arbitrarily chose that Temp Tooth because it's popular but I did not mean to focus on that product. Rather, use it as a "gateway" to follow links in the section Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought. If you keep following items by viewing other products they have purchased it becomes obvious that people are buying professional dental equipment to use themselves. This is (obviously) because our healthcare system sucks especially dental healthcare. Dental health is treated like a luxury not a necessity and most insurance plans have ridiculous deductibles and low annual maximums. This is forcing people to go underground to do dental work.

For example, on the Temp Tooth page you have to look no further than the second row of other purchases to find these dental tools:

41OkXfQGwdL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg

^Do you know for a fact that the people buying these products are not dentists or dental students? Given the cost of dental school, a student or recent graduate might want to purchase equipment this way instead of from high-priced suppliers. If the tools are of equivalent quality, where's the harm?

Not saying they necessarily are dentists or dental students, just wondering. :dunno:

With all due respect I think you guys are missing my main point. I arbitrarily chose that Temp Tooth because it's popular but I did not mean to focus on that product. Rather, use it as a "gateway" to follow links in the section Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought. If you keep following items by viewing other products they have purchased it becomes obvious that people are buying professional dental equipment to use themselves. This is (obviously) because our healthcare system sucks especially dental healthcare. Dental health is treated like a luxury not a necessity and most insurance plans have ridiculous deductibles and low annual maximums. This is forcing people to go underground to do dental work.

For example, on the Temp Tooth page you have to look no further than the second row of other purchases to find these dental tools:

41OkXfQGwdL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg

Not really ------ it's because Amazon's bot puts that stuff on the same page. That's all it means. That bot is there to snowball sales. It's under no legal obligation to show you actual records of what people are actually buying. Besides which, look at the wording --- "people who bought this also bought ..." ------ not "most people also bought...." not "a majority of people also bought....." ---- just "people". Could have been one dentist.

Extrapolating "this is what people are doing" based on what the Amazon bot is trying to sell you is a helluva reach.

Forum List

Back