~Self Conscious~

For me it would be my rather large boobage and the ugly scar I have on my tummy :(

I'm guessing you are young, as you age, you will acquire more scars. I have several on my stomach from having 2 surgeries. And, once you have kids, your stomach, while it can be flat and toned, is never quite and flat and toned as it was pre-kids. I can choose to see these things as flaws, or I can make them something beautiful inside my head.

Here's how I see it: Those scars are beauty marks, I got them carrying two beautiful children safely into life. Anyone who doesn't see them as beauty marks is not someone I want in my life.

FWIW, as you get older, you'll realize that it is the little imperfections that are so endearing in the people that we love. Perfection is really rather daunting and cold, but our little beauty marks are how we know we're human.

Ouuuu catzmeow, I'm not young hun....I am 49 years old. I hope to not get any more scars, but if I do, I reckon there's not much I can do about it :)
I have had 8 surgeries thru my stomach.

Last edited:
As to the scar, Do not think of it as something bad. It sounds like a fixation to me. Heck some people find scars admirable. I have a burn scar on my arm the size of a small pancake but it bothers me not. People ask me about it sure but it is a part of me, a part that I cannot change, but a part of my life. Of course I always crack a joke about it first, some outrageous thing that kinda puts them back on their heels.:lol:

I have had 4 c-sections, a hysterectomy when I was age 34, a surgery for kidney stones, and a couple of other surgeries that required going thru the abdomen area.
The scar I carry is a big one, it starts from right underneath my belly button, on down to my pubic bone.
Ummmm..how shall I put this delicately??
When one is being intimate, it's hard not to focus on my tummy, because that's part of the frontal view :lol:........and I feel self conscious letting all that show.
It has bothered me for a great long time, I just never really speak of it much. I was wondering if anyone else might have some scars and how they were dealing with it.
I got some great feedback, Thank you much *smiles*

Last edited:
I have two long scars on my back from a mishap with a darning needle when I was 9 years old..I stuck it in the back of my chair and sat back on it, and spent 3 hours, conscious in ER surgery, while the surgeon chased it around my back. They took 3 x-rays to locate it, and the concern was that it would work into my spine or lungs before they could get it.

I was somewhat self conscious about it, because anyone who saw my back would ask about them.

But my teeth caused me more grief, they were pretty crooked and I had a substantial overbite. I look at pictures and they aren't the first thing you notice but boy it felt like it to me...I've had braces for more than 30 months now, and they're no longer crooked and the overbite is pretty much gone. Now I don't obsess over my teeth (still in braces, sigh) but I stress that I look old and fat!

So it's always something. When I don't feel fat, I think people are focusing on my hair....

I so need to go on a diet. Maybe today's the day!

I am self-conscious about clothes that don't fit the way I prefer. Jeans that are too tight or shirts that are too small. I like the layered look but because I am most usually cold in air conditioning. I don't like showing off a lot of skin in public but because I have known too many women that are either emotionally scarred and insecure or just plain catty and mean... :(

It is really difficult to find flattering clothes that are not tailored and it is even more difficult to find affordable flattering clothes.

My biggest issue about being self-conscious, as I'm sure is the case with most individuals, is the way I am within my head about appearances. Most days I don't even think to really look in the mirror to 'see' the 'way' I actually look and I don't always realize I appear much more frumpled than I intend to.

I have psoriasis, that's probably the feature I'm most self-conscious about. It is mostly on my legs, and even before it started I rarely wore shorts, plus I only go out rarely, so it's not too big a deal.....but I certainly think about it if I decide to wear something other than jeans. Oddly, what I consider the worst part of the psoriasis is that it effects my ears; at times my ears can get extremely itchy because of it, and I wonder if people notice me picking and scratching at them.

I have quite a few scars, but they are fairly minor and almost all self-inflicted, so I don't feel self-conscious about them generally. The only time they have concerned me is when interviewing for a job, and since none are on my head or hands, it isn't much of an issue. On a level with having tats.

I am sometimes a bit self-conscious about my hair. I wear it long (not as long as I'd like, it's been getting shorter for years, who'd have thought never getting it cut would lead to shortening?) and it's fairly curly and poofy if I leave it out of a pony tail too long. It can look very disheveled quickly. Still, I've had it this way for many years, so I don't often worry too much about it.

A good top for big boob ladies: It has an up arrow, and says "Yo, dude - I'm up here." :D

Probably won't work though.

When one is being intimate, it's hard not to focus on my tummy, because that's part of the frontal view :lol:........and I feel self conscious letting all that show.

Trust me, if you're on top, and he's inside you, he's not critiquing your body. Women worry about this stuff way too much. Just let go. Stop thinking about what he thinks about your body, and lose yourself in what you're doing. That's sooooo much hotter.

Trust me, if you're on top, and he's inside you, he's not critiquing your body. Women worry about this stuff way too much. Just let go. Stop thinking about what he thinks about your body, and lose yourself in what you're doing. That's sooooo much hotter.

If He's doing it right, she's not thinking about ANYTHING.

I have psoriasis, that's probably the feature I'm most self-conscious about. It is mostly on my legs, and even before it started I rarely wore shorts, plus I only go out rarely, so it's not too big a deal.....but I certainly think about it if I decide to wear something other than jeans. Oddly, what I consider the worst part of the psoriasis is that it effects my ears; at times my ears can get extremely itchy because of it, and I wonder if people notice me picking and scratching at them.

I have quite a few scars, but they are fairly minor and almost all self-inflicted, so I don't feel self-conscious about them generally. The only time they have concerned me is when interviewing for a job, and since none are on my head or hands, it isn't much of an issue. On a level with having tats.

I am sometimes a bit self-conscious about my hair. I wear it long (not as long as I'd like, it's been getting shorter for years, who'd have thought never getting it cut would lead to shortening?) and it's fairly curly and poofy if I leave it out of a pony tail too long. It can look very disheveled quickly. Still, I've had it this way for many years, so I don't often worry too much about it.

Hey, I've got psoriasis too! I forgot all about it, lol. The older I get the worse and more obvious it is...so I generally have something going on on my face and hands. It sucks. I've gotten self conscious about it, but it didn't used to bug me. Of course it wasn't as bad.

Psoriasis just really sucks.

I actually make a homemade salve for my kids, who used to get it a lot of eczema, out of olive oil, calendula, st. John's wort, and a few other ingredients, mixed with bee's wax. It's from a recipe by Rosemary Gladstar.

It's called bottoms up salve (page 195). Rosemary Gladstar's Herbal Recipes ... - Google Books I make it in a crock pot on low heat for several hours, which works as well as steeping for 2 weeks.

I suspect it would work well on psoriasis, too.

Last edited:
If He's doing it right, she's not thinking about ANYTHING.

That's not really true. Women can be extremely body conscious, especially if we've had negative experiences that have reinforced our concerns about our appearance. The one thing that my guy has done consistently well (which goes way beyond anything physical) is to continually verbally affirm me. Sex is way more mental that physical, especially for women.

I actually make a homemade salve for my kids, who used to get it a lot of eczema, out of olive oil, calendula, st. John's wort, and a few other ingredients, mixed with bee's wax. It's from a recipe by Rosemary Gladstar.

It's called bottoms up salve (page 195). Rosemary Gladstar's Herbal Recipes ... - Google Books I make it in a crock pot on low heat for several hours, which works as well as steeping for 2 weeks.

I suspect it would work well on psoriasis, too.

That's WAY too much work for me, I'm just too lazy and poor with anything that resembles cooking. :lol:

Of course, if it keeps getting worse, I might find myself changing my mind about that one day! For now I occasionally try over-the-counter products, mostly in an attempt to prevent any itching and to moisturize the skin a bit.

Thanks for the information though! :)

My nose and my smile. Lot's of folks think I look like Tyne Daily cuz I have the same smile she does. Gummy.

I am self-conscious about clothes that don't fit the way I prefer. Jeans that are too tight or shirts that are too small. I like the layered look but because I am most usually cold in air conditioning. I don't like showing off a lot of skin in public but because I have known too many women that are either emotionally scarred and insecure or just plain catty and mean... :(

It is really difficult to find flattering clothes that are not tailored and it is even more difficult to find affordable flattering clothes.

My biggest issue about being self-conscious, as I'm sure is the case with most individuals, is the way I am within my head about appearances. Most days I don't even think to really look in the mirror to 'see' the 'way' I actually look and I don't always realize I appear much more frumpled than I intend to.

These are my favorite clothes...EVER! I have quite a few in my closet although I don't wear them much any more except on rare occassions.

Tienda Ho

I have 2 scars on the head.
The 1st is on the top of the head (hairs). Whilst sitting on a swing I jumped from it. Unfortunately, I didn't jump far enough and the bottom side of the swing was from metal and it hit my head.
When I cut my hair (6mm) you see the scar (hairless).

The 2nd one is on the forehead, I fell with the head on this:
http://j-sys.de/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/kueche_heizung.jpg

I have several scars on the right arm, I was young and blood-brotherhood was cool.

Forum List

Back