Selective Salary Caps.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by mudwhistle, Apr 8, 2010.

1. mudwhistle

mudwhistle Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26,177
    I was thinking today about the $500K ceiling that Democrats want to put on CEOs earnings.

I wonder who's idea this was?

I also wonder why it's confined to only CEOs. Why not Hollywood actors. Why not sports athletes as well.

Some CEOs do make alot of money...but for someone on the "A" List in Hollywood they demand $20 million a picture.

Some basketball players are signing $100 million contracts. It seems that each time we hear about one it's the highest in history.

Why is it that CEOs are the only people being singled out? Why not actors and athletes too?

Do you think Obama is gonna demand that Tim Duncan spread the wealth...give that money to the needy....only earn $500k? Figure the odds on that.

Personally I think it's a sneaky form of racism....but that's just me.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    Please don't put ideas in their collective head. The borg are stupid enough without getting on yet another high horse about people who get paid more than the 'poor'.

3. Mr. Peepers

Mr. Peepers Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +394
    What are you talking about? When has anyone suggested capping anyone's salary except for bailed out companies? If a company is so deep in the weeds that they will go bankrupt if not propped up, they sure as hell don't need to be paying their executives 7 figure salaries. I just don't understand how you "conservatives" reconcile that.

4. FrankieGA

FrankieGA Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14
    In the first place it shouldn't be the governments policy to bail out these business' either. I would hate to see anyone lose their hard earned money, but this should serve as a wake up call to everyone who has money invested into this banks, car companies, etc... Free Market System is survival of the fittest. And if a company pays its exec's to the point of bankruptcy then down the drain they go. Its always been that way in the US until recently when the government decided they needed to get involved and save everyone. My argument may have some faults, I admit that, but you get the gist of what I am saying.

5. xotoxi

xotoxi Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,492
    I'm only in favor of capping CEOs in companies that are receiving bailouts.

Do you disagree with that?

6. beowolfe

beowolfe Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +204
    You would. I suppose you think that only whites are CEO's, huh?

7. Mr. Peepers

Mr. Peepers Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +394
    Would you rather there be a run on the banks and full scale economic collapse - a real & true depression? Almost ALL of the banks were in serious trouble. Mine was (B of A).

8. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    I think the whole idea stems not from racism, but partisanship. The celebutards generally vote D and bankers are often R's. In fact I bet some of the less intelligent libs on this board would be in favor of salary caps and 90 percent tax rates on anyone who votes Republican. Maybe rdean can start that campaign.

I was againt the bailout too, but the caps should have been initiated by the shareholders, not the govt. Just like I'd like the fans to demand reasonable compensation for a guy who can throw a fucking ball. But it aint the feds job.

Hey doesn't Citigroup own a baseball stadium? Hmmmm.

9. saveliberty

saveliberty Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,879
    I see most of the companies found a way to pay the government back ASAP, so as to get out from under this possibility. Perhaps thats the real purpose behind the move. The government shouldn't bailout companies, particularly in exchange for ownership positions. However, if you accept that kind of help, the government acting as the board of directors is what would happen if Buffet was doing it.

10. Dr Gregg

Dr Gregg BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +200
    What he said. And plus, these guys are already millionaires, I"m sure they can survive a year or two making 1/2 a million dollars.