SEIU Throws Down the Gauntlet to O’Reilly: Walk a Day in Our Shoes

Oct 18, 2008
Bowling Green Ohio
By ZP Heller, SEIU
Posted on March 9, 2009, Printed on March 10, 2009
http://www.alternet.org/bloggers//130928/

Bill O’Reilly’s baseless attacks often sound so ridiculous they seem laughable, except for the fact that he makes a living out of slandering and bullying those who don’t comply with his radical right-wing agenda. Last week, O’Reilly set his smear sites on the SEIU, calling them “extremists of the far left” and blaming them for our economic problems.

AlterNet: SEIU Throws Down the Gauntlet to O’Reilly: Walk a Day in Our Shoes

Let's not pretend the SEIU is some great organization

[youtube]mkz0zjqy51U&eurl[/youtube]

First of all...SEIU cannot or does not use union dues to donate to campaign funds.....I know, I belonged for awhile before I found a home for my son. They asked me to give additional money to be used for campaigning, I refused, stating that I'm not selling my vote to anyone. The money that the SEIU gave to the governor was giving freely by members of the SEIU, and did not come out of the normal union dues.

IMO, no union should be able to use their dues for campaigning for ANYONE. That dues is suppose to fund the union, not the politicians.

<<<

I would like to see OReilly take care of an adult in diapers for a day as well. It would sure take him down a peg. Keep in mind, the money I made for caring for my son 24/7 was $1000 a month as they only allowed me 112 hours a month to care for him.

I'm sure the home he's in makes far more, and he's only there 1/2 the time. It would have saved the state a lot of money if they'd just given me 2 weeks respite care a year.

Before the caregivers joined SEIU, they made a lot less money, no vacation and no medical....what's worse, very little training and they could start caring for an adult with no training at all. Furthermore, in those cases where there are 3 caregivers over a 24 hour period, there is no overlapping, the daycare giver doesn't get paid for staying and explaining things to the next person even if the next person has never in their lives cared for anyone before.

My mother in law's caregiver called me frantic one day when she couldn't get my mother in law out of bed. When I got there, I discovered that she was doing it all wrong, having never been trained. I showed her how to get someone out of bed WITHOUT hurting their back, either theirs or the person they are getting up. She put my mother in law in all kinds of pain trying to get her up the wrong way and my mother in law was just screaming in pain, no wonder she couldn't get her up.

Thankfully, we passed a bill this last year requiring training BEFORE they are allowed to care for someone, with exceptions only for family members.

I'm all for the SEIU, I think the patients are much better off, as well as the caregivers.

Oh, and I'm in Washington State, not where Blogovich is.

First of all...SEIU cannot or does not use union dues to donate to campaign funds.....I know, I belonged for awhile before I found a home for my son. They asked me to give additional money to be used for campaigning, I refused, stating that I'm not selling my vote to anyone. The money that the SEIU gave to the governor was giving freely by members of the SEIU, and did not come out of the normal union dues.

IMO, no union should be able to use their dues for campaigning for ANYONE. That dues is suppose to fund the union, not the politicians.

<<<

I would like to see OReilly take care of an adult in diapers for a day as well. It would sure take him down a peg. Keep in mind, the money I made for caring for my son 24/7 was $1000 a month as they only allowed me 112 hours a month to care for him.

I'm sure the home he's in makes far more, and he's only there 1/2 the time. It would have saved the state a lot of money if they'd just given me 2 weeks respite care a year.

Before the caregivers joined SEIU, they made a lot less money, no vacation and no medical....what's worse, very little training and they could start caring for an adult with no training at all. Furthermore, in those cases where there are 3 caregivers over a 24 hour period, there is no overlapping, the daycare giver doesn't get paid for staying and explaining things to the next person even if the next person has never in their lives cared for anyone before.

My mother in law's caregiver called me frantic one day when she couldn't get my mother in law out of bed. When I got there, I discovered that she was doing it all wrong, having never been trained. I showed her how to get someone out of bed WITHOUT hurting their back, either theirs or the person they are getting up. She put my mother in law in all kinds of pain trying to get her up the wrong way and my mother in law was just screaming in pain, no wonder she couldn't get her up.

Thankfully, we passed a bill this last year requiring training BEFORE they are allowed to care for someone, with exceptions only for family members.

I'm all for the SEIU, I think the patients are much better off, as well as the caregivers.

I would love to see old Bill wipe some ass! He can go work at the memory care facility I worked at that specializes in dementia. I want to see how long he would last when some old guy wants to hit him because he is trying to change his brief. How just having to follow them around for hours because they are not allowed to ambulate by themself due to fall risk but they won't stop walking around and getting into everything.
Where I worked was not part of union of course which they should be, some of those place take advantage of their workers , the place I worked was very good at being a bully to the workers.

<<<

I would love to see old Bill wipe some ass! He can go work at the memory care facility I worked at that specializes in dementia. I want to see how long he would last when some old guy wants to hit him because he is trying to change his brief. How just having to follow them around for hours because they are not allowed to ambulate by themself due to fall risk but they won't stop walking around and getting into everything.
Where I worked was not part of union of course which they should be, some of those place take advantage of their workers , the place I worked was very good at being a bully to the workers.

Stop fucking whining.

when I was in college my night job was in a group home that specialized in behavior issues. I got beat up , had shit thrown at me, was given a concussion when a guy slammed my head into a steel door, sprained my knee when a guy tossed a table at me.

I knew what i was in for when I took that job, and i was compensated every time i was hurt at work. So if you take a job in a psych ward and that job consists of wiping asses STFU and do your fucking job.

Or and here's a thought get a job where you don't have to wipe asses. but I'm sure you'll find something to whine about at any job you have.

<<<

Stop fucking whining.

when I was in college my night job was in a group home that specialized in behavior issues. I got beat up , had shit thrown at me, was given a concussion when a guy slammed my head into a steel door, sprained my knee when a guy tossed a table at me.

I knew what i was in for when I took that job, and i was compensated every time i was hurt at work. So if you take a job in a psych ward and that job consists of wiping asses STFU and do your fucking job.

Or and here's a thought get a job where you don't have to wipe asses. but I'm sure you'll find something to whine about at any job you have.
I think I would want the people taking care of my grandparents to be treated well. ANd I wasn't whinning, I liked my job. And I did it until I was nine months pregnant if you really want to have a pissing contest, I lifted until I was six and half months along and even had one guy kick me in the stomach. I also went back to lifting six weeks after having a c section.
I have also had to try to stop a guy from escaping who use to play professional football and the guys I worked with were no where to be seen.
If you treat your employees like crap they are going to treat the patients like crap and there is enough abuse in homes as it is!

<<<

Stop fucking whining.

:clap2:

It's like old JoetheBOBOBiden said just last week.. "Ya dance with the one that brought ya."

so bullshit on the story that these unions don't pay to get the guy they want elected.. total unadulterated bullshit.

New Topics

Forum List

Back