Segued From Grocery Thread

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
http://www.usmessageboard.com/health-and-lifestyle/107913-grocery-store.html

I know I've changed my grocery and miscellaneous shopping patterns over the past few years, getting more drastic as the economy continues to worsen. I am eating out probably 1/5 of what I used to. I make dinners with left overs in mind. Much more less expensive cuts of meat and using less in general, (better for diet, but that is besides the point.)

Primo coffee went overboard two years ago, unless very good sale or holidays. Slow cooker has been getting a work out with stews, soups, and chilies. I do not buy junk, been making our own tortilla chips and salsas. We use store brands in place of name brands, if acceptable, (meaning I give them a try, if really not good-that's wasting money too.)

Anyone else turning down thermostat, cooking more and with $$ in mind, cutting back on restaurants?

It's been years since my thermostat has been above 67 degrees and I've recently started buying a lot of non-food household products at Wal-Mart.

It's been years since my thermostat has been above 67 degrees and I've recently started buying a lot of non-food household products at Wal-Mart.

That is another change, I've been doing much more of my shopping at Target Superstore; CVS; I've always gone to Costco, but doing so with more discipline; checking hardware store adds for things like lighbulbs-not just picking them up at grocery.

I stopped going to the store all together. Hub does the cooking and shopping but I noticed things he buys is changing.

Prime rib and lobster only twice a week, Chateaubriand with a good 53 Rothschilds only once a week, eggs benedict only three times a week. Dropped the thermostat down to 80. Yup, it's been tough having to cut back.

Prime rib and lobster only twice a week, Chateaubriand with a good 53 Rothschilds only once a week, eggs benedict only three times a week. Dropped the thermostat down to 80. Yup, it's been tough having to cut back.

Bah, you're going to die of arteries. :lol:

Bah, you're going to die of arteries. :lol:
let me translate what he/she really meant:

ground beef
MD 20/20
Egg (picked fresh from his one chicken)
lots of wood for his fireplace

I know I've changed my grocery and miscellaneous shopping patterns over the past few years, getting more drastic as the economy continues to worsen. I am eating out probably 1/5 of what I used to. I make dinners with left overs in mind. Much more less expensive cuts of meat and using less in general, (better for diet, but that is besides the point.)

Primo coffee went overboard two years ago, unless very good sale or holidays. Slow cooker has been getting a work out with stews, soups, and chilies. I do not buy junk, been making our own tortilla chips and salsas. We use store brands in place of name brands, if acceptable, (meaning I give them a try, if really not good-that's wasting money too.)

Anyone else turning down thermostat, cooking more and with $$ in mind, cutting back on restaurants?

I am. I have no choice. All my utility bill have went up, my property taxes and everything else for that matter. So yes, when I plan my meals I plan them with all that in mind. I do OK. I do miss a few things, like cooking from scatch, and it takes time to do these things, I work more hours and pay more out. I am buying certain generic brands of things, I would not have done that a year ago. But the choice has been made for me.

I seem to always be doing math in my head.

I've gotten a bit more selective with meats, but I have a small advantage where I can make an hours drive and go to a military commissary. Cuts the meat costs in half. And we save when they have case lot sales too. of course we have to buy a full case of green beans but hey, I've got room for em.

My best friend and I have labelled this Shabby Chic.

We both grew up in big families on small incomes. Trader Joe's, Costco and Amazon (which has fabulous deals on staples - especially if one has a prime membershop for free two day shippin) are our friends.

I'm fortunate to have a house with a basement - an oddity for CA. We have an upright freezer and plenty of storage shelves - filled with a lot of boxed, canned and frozen staples. A few times a year, I make huge batches of meat sauce, chili, and lentil soup - and freeze single or double servings. I also bake bread and dinner rolls and freeze those. It makes it a lot easier to get home made food on the table when we're busy - and we give some of it to my mom and dad to help them out too.

We eat out a lot less these days, but still try to go to our favorite local spots to support them in this tough economy from time to time. They have all put in place fixed price specials and cash discounts.

The one area where I don't scrimp is fresh vegetables and dairy. The locally grown organic stuff tastes better.

I don't have to be selective about my food buying, I get whatever I want with my $500 a month in food stamps. Usually I like to get a ton of king crab legs, lobster, filet, etc.

Hey, I mean who cares, it's not MY money, right?

Forum List

Back