Segregated proms, are these REALLY still going on?

Toronado3800

Gold Member
Nov 15, 2009
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...gh-school-proms-divide-Georgias-students.html

Here is an article from an...interesting...source which reports on one in a "Republican" town in Miss. If I understand the school does not have a prom but lets the oarents throw it so it could be "white only". And naturally some other parents have the black prom.

A truck driver of l folks put me onto looking this up.

Does this really occur still? If so how common is it?

Like in this school they report a unified prom is in the works for next year so is the trend dying out rapidly?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...gh-school-proms-divide-Georgias-students.html

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:
They should just force them to hold one together..will make for a wonderful time, fun will be had by all

If they don't we will get sensational headlines like this one from the telegraph rag

Last edited:
They should just force them to hold one together..will make for a wonderful time, fun will be had by all

Now that is a true statement! None the less I agree. Learning to live together is a very important lesson high school teaches us.

So these still do go on? I have a difficult time believing that but have been disappointed before.

Now that is a true statement! None the less I agree. Learning to live together is a very important lesson high school teaches us.

So these still do go on? I have a difficult time believing that but have been disappointed before.

yeah figured you wouldn't mind forcing people to do what YOU think they should

Oh sorry, I did not pick up on your support of.seggregation in the earlier post.

Yeah, since public schools have to let everyone in I thought CONSERVATIVELY and figured they had to let everyone into any event.

Thanks for showing me how under the table support for these white only events exists even in the clean debate zone. :(

Oh sorry, I did not pick up on your support of.seggregation in the earlier post.

Yeah, since public schools have to let everyone in I thought CONSERVATIVELY and figured they had to let everyone into any event.

Thanks for showing me how under the table support for these white only events exists even in the clean debate zone. :(

oh really, so supporting just letting people do what they WISH is now supporting segregation..by the way I work in a public school which is really just becoming like concentration camps for little people
but CARRY on with your noble self

Last edited:
Sorry to say, but yeah. The Bill of Rights and the Constitution do a fair job of setting up the protection of minorities from the majority while maintaining a republic. Darn slave states kept it from being better.

I like how they point out they voted overwhelmingly republican. I wonder if they do the same when someone is murdered or raped in city in an area that voted overwhelmingly democrat. It would be accurate, but I doubt they do.

The school can give a unified prom. Just not that many will attend. Like it or not the government to this day permits private parties with private invitations.

I like how they point out they voted overwhelmingly republican. I wonder if they do the same when someone is murdered or raped in city in an area that voted overwhelmingly democrat. It would be accurate, but I doubt they do.

they must of went around and ASKED everyone their party affiliation..

propaganda at it's finest

People shouldn't be forced to associate with people from other races they find offensive. :cool:

At heart I agree. I do not hang out with many folks from high school or college any linger.

In some regarss though I loved visiting New York where soo many different folks were stuck soo close together. Even though at home you could spend time with whoever you wanted there was a certain awareness level I find missing here.

Soo, long winded as it may be, I believe a bit of forced government desegregation is good for society. Makes folks you otherwise would not associate with seem more human.

So yeah, are these white proms all private parties or do some schools get away with it?

That would only be fair!

Still interesting to note it is a republican stronghold lol.

oh really, so supporting just letting people do what they WISH is now supporting segregation..by the way I work in a public school which is really just becoming like concentration camps for little people
but CARRY on with your noble self

The government does not have the right to discriminate, period. Public schools are branches of the government. Therefore, you are wrong, plain and simple.

End of discussion.

People shouldn't be forced to associate with people from other races they find offensive. :cool:

At heart I agree. I do not hang out with many folks from high school or college any linger.

In some regarss though I loved visiting New York where soo many different folks were stuck soo close together. Even though at home you could spend time with whoever you wanted there was a certain awareness level I find missing here.

Soo, long winded as it may be, I believe a bit of forced government desegregation is good for society. Makes folks you otherwise would not associate with seem more human.

So yeah, are these white proms all private parties or do some schools get away with it?

All private, per First Amendment freedom of assembly; as already noted correctly, government entities such as schools may not segregate.

Here is an article from an...interesting...source which reports on one in a "Republican" town in Miss. If I understand the school does not have a prom but lets the oarents throw it so it could be "white only". And naturally some other parents have the black prom.

Does this really occur still? If so how common is it? Thanks for your time.

I lived in Mississippi from the early 70's until 2007. Yes, a lot of Mississippi high schools have segregated proms. Most of the "segregation academies" have gone out of business and of course since their student bodies were all white, the question did not comel up. Public schools stopped sponsoring proms because they would have to be integrated, so private groups sponsored them. Eventually man public schools became almost entirely black and those also had hat amounted to segregated proms.

Integrated proms have become a little more accepted every year, so the pattern now is pretty patchwork. Like most symbolic things, I think segregated proms will disappear when we have a more integrated society.

Did you read the story?

1) The article is from 2009

2) This gem you missed:
Even so, Mr Batten has decided it is time to end the segregation - and next year there will be an integrated prom, arranged by the school instead of the parents, he told The Sunday Telegraph. "It may not be a great success at first, but we will persist and over time the segregation will be history.

A truck driver of l folks put me onto looking this up.
Does this really occur still? If so how common is it?
Like in this school they report a unified prom is in the works for next year so is the trend dying out rapidly?

Thanks for your time.

It's not common much now, but some parents in Ole Miss are freakies, both sides of the racial barrier.

Sad.

But . . . anybody has the right to private association.

Forum List

Back