Seems Romney wasn't only offensive but wrong again

Romney's 47 percent figure lumped together separate groups that have little relation to one another. Most Americans do pay taxes: The poorest fifth of Americans paid an effective tax rate of 17 percent last year, and the second-poorest fifth paid an effective tax rate of 21 percent, when factoring in payroll taxes, sales taxes and property taxes, among others, according to Citizens for Tax Justice.

It is true that 46 percent of American households did not pay federal income taxes last year, according to the Tax Policy Center. But that number is unusually high, in part because of the recession -- and a majority of that 46 percent still paid payroll taxes. Only 18 percent of American households paid no income taxes and no payroll taxes last year. It is largely low-income seniors and very poor people that legally don't pay federal income taxes or payroll taxes, according to the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities and the Tax Policy Center.

It was also inaccurate for Romney to claim that those who don't pay federal income taxes would vote for President Obama "no matter what." Nearly all states with a high percentage of Americans that don't pay federal income taxes vote Republican in presidential elections, according to the Washington Post.

What MIttens seems to forget is a substantial portion of seniors in retirement paid net taxes into the system when the were working in their prime. In fact, a lot of them probably paid a higher portion of their lifetime earnings to Uncle Sam than Mittens - but according to Mitt they are "dependent on government" because at this particular point in time they have no income tax liability.

I keep on seeing this breakdown of taxes paid and by whom and I am sick and tired of the Rethugs on this thread no posting their information showing 47% of americans pay not a single fuking dime.........oops .... I mean where 47% of Americans do not pay the taxes that Mittens I am a multi millioniare Rommney told his buddies they don't pay.

Those are the taxes Ima talking about.

Come on you rethugs. Hold up your end. Post those numbers. refute refute with cold hard facts.

Or stfu and admit your man blew it. Again. This is starting to feel familiar isnt' it?

Zeke...you are a poster in here that claimed to be in the mortgage industry for 2 decades while debating the mortgage meltdown...saying you know more than the rest of us....

...and then you said that FM wirtes loans.

So you have absolutely no credibility with me whatsoever.

" We're going to close the unproductive tax loopholes that allow some of the truly wealthy to avoid paying their fair share. In theory some of those loophole were understandable, but in practice, they sometimes made it possible for millionaires to pay nothing." ~ Ronald Reagan

And they were eliminated from the tax laws you freaking child.

there are no loopholes.....investing overseas is a practice that allows for overseas investors to invest in America.

What you call loopholes (due to you being naive) are not loopholes...they were intentionally written into the tax laws by republicans AND democrats to give an incentive to investors to invest overseas.

actually Va...I think you were being sarcastic with this post....I think you are one of the mature ones in this thread.

LMAO...and Barb thanked you for it....not even realizing it.

Honestly, Jarhead....I really don't care what he meant. Romney has touted himself as being this really smart businessman, which somehow qualifies him to be POTUS. Saying things like this, regardless of his intent, knowing how they sound, is just plain stupid. I would never have voted for Romney anyway, but for those who were considering it, things like this can have the ability to sway their opinion against him, you know?

when I used to own my business, the way I spoke to my clients was different than the was I spoke to my employees. This was a closed door forum with his financial supporters. He was not on his guard and by no means was it meant the way it was spun.

I used the example of when the same dirty tactic was used against Obama regarding the religion and guns thing.

The only difference is...whereas the right spun what he said back then...and the left is spinning what Romney said now.....the media back then took Obamas explanation and reported it as such "an explanation"....whereas the media this time is ignoring Romeys explanantion and continuing to report on the spin.

And contrary to what Rdd said...I am not blaming the media for how Romeny said what he said...I am blaming the media for not givingh it the same type of coverage they gave the Obama situation....and we all know that the majority of the voiters base their decisions on what they hear in the media...very few are interested in politics as we are.

Now...that being said...this is an election about two completely different ideologies...

One is big government; government control; programs for the people
The other is small gvernment; free enterpise; programs ONLY for the neediest

Which is best? We both differ with our senitments....but it would be a shame if spin, selective reporting and lies decides this election

Programs ONLY for the neediest? That would make sense. But where has that been stated in the platform? If you listen to what's being said I have not heard one idea that will determine who "the neediest are". Just sweeping generlizations that all poor people are on welfare or that 47% of the country are dependent on government....that sort of nonsense.

I'm all for a plan that weeds out the moochers. Does such a plan exist?

Honestly, Jarhead....I really don't care what he meant. Romney has touted himself as being this really smart businessman, which somehow qualifies him to be POTUS. Saying things like this, regardless of his intent, knowing how they sound, is just plain stupid. I would never have voted for Romney anyway, but for those who were considering it, things like this can have the ability to sway their opinion against him, you know?

when I used to own my business, the way I spoke to my clients was different than the was I spoke to my employees. This was a closed door forum with his financial supporters. He was not on his guard and by no means was it meant the way it was spun.

I used the example of when the same dirty tactic was used against Obama regarding the religion and guns thing.

The only difference is...whereas the right spun what he said back then...and the left is spinning what Romney said now.....the media back then took Obamas explanation and reported it as such "an explanation"....whereas the media this time is ignoring Romeys explanantion and continuing to report on the spin.

And contrary to what Rdd said...I am not blaming the media for how Romeny said what he said...I am blaming the media for not givingh it the same type of coverage they gave the Obama situation....and we all know that the majority of the voiters base their decisions on what they hear in the media...very few are interested in politics as we are.

Now...that being said...this is an election about two completely different ideologies...

Which is best? We both differ with our senitments....but it would be a shame if spin, selective reporting and lies decides this election

Programs ONLY for the neediest? That would make sense. But where has that been stated in the platform? If you listen to what's being said I have not heard one idea that will determine who "the neediest are". Just sweeping generlizations that all poor people are on welfare or that 47% of the country are dependent on government....that sort of nonsense.

Sadly...you have not been paying attention to Romney when he speaks. You only hear the crap about him.

He has made it clear many times that he supports saftey nets for the neediest. He even mentioned it in his explanation. Sadfy, not many heard his explanation.

Sadly...you have not been paying attention to Romney when he speaks. You only hear the crap about him.

He has made it clear many times that he supports saftey nets for the neediest. He even mentioned it in his explanation. Sadfy, not many heard his explanation.

Great, he also said that nearly half the population depend on government to live. So how does he plan to differentiate the two? Whats the plan to ensure that those who truly need help can receive it while those who are mooching are cut off of the government gravy train?

" We're going to close the unproductive tax loopholes that allow some of the truly wealthy to avoid paying their fair share. In theory some of those loophole were understandable, but in practice, they sometimes made it possible for millionaires to pay nothing." ~ Ronald Reagan

He was the last President to modify the tax laws and end many tax breaks.

Last edited:

And they were eliminated from the tax laws you freaking child.

there are no loopholes.....investing overseas is a practice that allows for overseas investors to invest in America.

What you call loopholes (due to you being naive) are not loopholes...they were intentionally written into the tax laws by republicans AND democrats to give an incentive to investors to invest overseas.

True to his GE roots, the Gipper favored corporations and the rich in his executive orders, the Bills he supported, and the Acts he signed. Tucked into a bill that increased regulations on individual citizens in order to make it harder to qualify for SS Disability benefits was this little gift to corporations and the wealthiest Americans:

In addition, this bill reduces from 30 percent to 10 percent the rate of Virgin Islands tax imposed on certain payments of Virgin Islands source income to U.S. corporations, citizens, and resident aliens. The lowering of the tax rate will significantly encourage U.S. investment in the Virgin Islands and will give the Virgin Islands parity with Guam and the Northern Mariana Islands.169 [Emphasis mine]

This add on set the Virgin Islands up as a tax shelter for wealthy Americans and encouraged businesses to move there so they could deduct ninety percent of their earnings or profits from their taxes, including capital gains taxes, saving them millions. The IRS recently started auditing them and faced a bipartisan push from The House Ways and Means Committee to limit how many years they could go back in doing so.

Birnbaum, Jeffrey H. The Washington Post, ―Bill Would Limit IRS's Reach in Virgin Islands‖ Wednesday, November 7, 2007 retrieved December 26, 2011 from Bill Would Limit IRS's Reach in Virgin Islands

In Ca back in 2007, Obama was talking about how frustrated Americans in Pa were. He then explained how they cling to their guns and religion and take it out on those that are not like them..

He did not say "some of them"......so I guess we should assume he meant ALL of those frustrated Americans living in Pa are religious gun toting racists?

Well...I didnt take it that way....did you?

Stop debating like a child.

To be perfectly honest I really am not concerned with what Romney said ABOUT those people. What really bothers me is that he said "It's not my job to worry about them" Well it is his job as President of the USA to worry about all of us. This is what Obama said "To those Americans who's support I have yet to earn. I may not have won your vote but I hear your voice. I need your help and I will be your President too"

uh...excuse me....

It was quite obvious that he said his job was not to worry about GETTING THEIR VOTES....

Just as it is not Obamas job trying to get the votes of a libertarian.

you don't understand Jar,

Only ibs and minorities understand the secret code that white people speak. They interpret the words to suit their own agenda.

Romney's 47 percent figure lumped together separate groups that have little relation to one another. Most Americans do pay taxes: The poorest fifth of Americans paid an effective tax rate of 17 percent last year, and the second-poorest fifth paid an effective tax rate of 21 percent, when factoring in payroll taxes, sales taxes and property taxes, among others, according to Citizens for Tax Justice.

It is true that 46 percent of American households did not pay federal income taxes last year, according to the Tax Policy Center. But that number is unusually high, in part because of the recession -- and a majority of that 46 percent still paid payroll taxes. Only 18 percent of American households paid no income taxes and no payroll taxes last year. It is largely low-income seniors and very poor people that legally don't pay federal income taxes or payroll taxes, according to the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities and the Tax Policy Center.

It was also inaccurate for Romney to claim that those who don't pay federal income taxes would vote for President Obama "no matter what." Nearly all states with a high percentage of Americans that don't pay federal income taxes vote Republican in presidential elections, according to the Washington Post.

link

Many take advantage of the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), originally a Republican [/B]policy that offers a tax break to low-income working parents. According to the authors

hold it. did,t you say that republicans hate the poor.?

Guess it's you that lies.

The Earned Income Tax Credit supplements the income of the working poor, and increases their economic security. Although there is some predictable grumbling about EITC payments, they may not be as politically unpopular as some other programs simply because, as quiet as it‘s kept (because he who owns the ink also hires and fires the editors who decide what‘s fit to print), it is also a corporate welfare program.

The government effectively underwrites corporate profits with this program by lowering the demand for higher wages, and thus reducing the payroll taxes corporations pay connected to those wages. The working poor are better off because of EITC, although they are not as well off as they would be if they were paid a living wage.

Gilens, Martin, Why Americans Hate Welfare: Race, Media, and the Politics of Antipoverty Policy, 17

uh...excuse me....

It was quite obvious that he said his job was not to worry about GETTING THEIR VOTES....

Just as it is not Obamas job trying to get the votes of a libertarian.

I understand that and I think it's wrong. If you are not worried about getting their vote then you obviously have no concern for those people. Every vote counts and personally I would want to work to get some votes from those 47% (who are mostly republican) because if this guy has 47% of the vote locked down then he only needs win over another 4% while I need to win over another 53%. See this is that arithmetic ole Billy spoke of.

And by "not worrying about getting their votes", that means he has no intention of looking out for them as POTUS, yes?

project much?

Forum List

Back