Seems Romney wasn't only offensive but wrong again

BBCAmerica

May 23, 2012
Romney's 47 percent figure lumped together separate groups that have little relation to one another. Most Americans do pay taxes: The poorest fifth of Americans paid an effective tax rate of 17 percent last year, and the second-poorest fifth paid an effective tax rate of 21 percent, when factoring in payroll taxes, sales taxes and property taxes, among others, according to Citizens for Tax Justice.

It is true that 46 percent of American households did not pay federal income taxes last year, according to the Tax Policy Center. But that number is unusually high, in part because of the recession -- and a majority of that 46 percent still paid payroll taxes. Only 18 percent of American households paid no income taxes and no payroll taxes last year. It is largely low-income seniors and very poor people that legally don't pay federal income taxes or payroll taxes, according to the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities and the Tax Policy Center.

It was also inaccurate for Romney to claim that those who don't pay federal income taxes would vote for President Obama "no matter what." Nearly all states with a high percentage of Americans that don't pay federal income taxes vote Republican in presidential elections, according to the Washington Post.

Romney's 47 percent figure lumped together separate groups that have little relation to one another. Most Americans do pay taxes: The poorest fifth of Americans paid an effective tax rate of 17 percent last year, and the second-poorest fifth paid an effective tax rate of 21 percent, when factoring in payroll taxes, sales taxes and property taxes, among others, according to Citizens for Tax Justice.

It is true that 46 percent of American households did not pay federal income taxes last year, according to the Tax Policy Center. But that number is unusually high, in part because of the recession -- and a majority of that 46 percent still paid payroll taxes. Only 18 percent of American households paid no income taxes and no payroll taxes last year. It is largely low-income seniors and very poor people that legally don't pay federal income taxes or payroll taxes, according to the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities and the Tax Policy Center.

It was also inaccurate for Romney to claim that those who don't pay federal income taxes would vote for President Obama "no matter what." Nearly all states with a high percentage of Americans that don't pay federal income taxes vote Republican in presidential elections, according to the Washington Post.

Romney was caught pandering to fat cat donors who like to hear that half of Americans are just looking for Government handouts

It that is how you wish to interpret what he said....then dont vote for him.

Romney was caught pandering to fat cat donors who like to hear that half of Americans are just looking for Government handouts

No worries, I am sure the seniors, military personnel and veterans that he threw under the bus won't hold it against him in November...

What I don't understand is IF all Romney was saying was the "truth"...why wasn't this speech to the millionaires also part of his Convention speech? I mean if it is the "truth" then shouldn't it apply in all circles?

What I interpret are the facts and according to the facts, Romney was wrong or just lied, however you prefer. But then again "We won't let our campaign be dictated by fact-checkers". DAMN!!! Them pesky facts.

What I don't understand is IF all Romney was saying was the "truth"...why wasn't this speech to the millionaires also part of his Convention speech? I mean if it is the "truth" then shouldn't it apply in all circles?

That would just give the "liberal media" the opportunity to "twist" what he says by reporting his words verbatim.

In other words, Romney was right, but democrats can split a group into whatever component parts that support the untruth that they are correct.

What I interpret are the facts and according to the facts, Romney was wrong or just lied, however you prefer. But then again "We won't let our campaign be dictated by fact-checkers". DAMN!!! Them pesky facts.

In Ca back in 2007, Obama was talking about how frustrated Americans in Pa were. He then explained how they cling to their guns and religion and take it out on those that are not like them..

He did not say "some of them"......so I guess we should assume he meant ALL of those frustrated Americans living in Pa are religious gun toting racists?

Well...I didnt take it that way....did you?

Stop debating like a child.

In other words, Romney was right, but democrats can split a group into whatever component parts that support the untruth that they are correct.

So in other words. To hell with those facts that prove everything Romney said was wrong. Because he is a Republican and the story was reported by "The Liberal Media" we are not going to let facts stand in the way of what he said. Even if I am one of those 47% that he don't feel it's his job to worry about.

It's all good. Let the truth be the truth and let Romney continue out on the stump regurgitating this truth and continue not caring about half of the electorate. And then let the American people decide who they want leading 100% of the people in this country. How much do you want to bet that "the truth" won't be a part of ANY future stump speeches for he or Ryan, unless they are speaking to a room full of millionaires again...

In Ca back in 2007, Obama was talking about how frustrated Americans in Pa were. He then explained how they cling to their guns and religion and take it out on those that are not like them..

He did not say "some of them"......so I guess we should assume he meant ALL of those frustrated Americans living in Pa are religious gun toting racists?

That is fair. However, as you recall, America still elected him POTUS. Let the airwaves continue to be filled with Romney's "truth" and let's see how it turns out for him. Deal?

So in other words. To hell with those facts that prove everything Romney said was wrong. Because he is a Republican and the story was reported by "The Liberal Media" we are not going to let facts stand in the way of what he said. Even if I am one of those 47% that he don't feel it's his job to worry about.

A 5th grade child could have listened to what he said and NOT taken it that Romeny didnt plan on governing that 47%.
It was quite obvious he was referring to "worrying about their vote"....

Sadly...our current President didnt understand it. He actually believes as you claim to beleive....as was proven on Letterman last night.

By the way....according to obama....

"one of the things I learned as President was that I have the responsibility to govern ALL Americans."

You mean he didnt know that before he became president?

That is fair. However, as you recall, America still elected him POTUS. Let the airwaves continue to be filled with Romney's "truth" and let's see how it turns out for him. Deal?

ahhh....but the difference is...when Obama explained it, it became a non story as it should have been. But when Romney explained it, the media decided to make it a story anyway.

To be perfectly honest I really am not concerned with what Romney said ABOUT those people. What really bothers me is that he said "It's not my job to worry about them" Well it is his job as President of the USA to worry about all of us. This is what Obama said "To those Americans who's support I have yet to earn. I may not have won your vote but I hear your voice. I need your help and I will be your President too"

ahhh....but the difference is...when Obama explained it, it became a non story as it should have been. But when Romney explained it, the media decided to make it a story anyway.

It's always the fault of the media. Always. :cool:

To be perfectly honest I really am not concerned with what Romney said ABOUT those people. What really bothers me is that he said "It's not my job to worry about them" Well it is his job as President of the USA to worry about all of us. This is what Obama said "To those Americans who's support I have yet to earn. I may not have won your vote but I hear your voice. I need your help and I will be your President too"

uh...excuse me....

It was quite obvious that he said his job was not to worry about GETTING THEIR VOTES....

Just as it is not Obamas job trying to get the votes of a libertarian.

I found zero's response more hilarious that what Romney said.
Said he was the president of all Americans

How many stops has he made in Salt Lake City, or Wyoming, or Idaho

...and of course of all non thinkers in the crowd give him an ovation.

Forum List

Back