Seems BlackAsCoal Is Correct?

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Regarding the new administration and I-P conflict:
Extreme Mortman » Obama’s Hamas Details - Just When You Thought it Was Safe to Take Politics Seriously Again

Yes, you'll have to go to link for the links. ;)

Obama’s Hamas Details
January 2, 2009 at 4:41 am
Time magazine asks this about Barack Obama and Israel vs. Hamas in Gaza:

How will Obama respond? As a presidential candidate, he called for a new peace process but was short on the details. “A U.S. Administration has to put its weight behind a process, recognizing that it’s not going to happen immediately,” he said during a visit to Israel last summer. “That’s why I will not wait until a few years into my term or my second term … to get the process moving.” That was meant to be a dig at the Bush Administration, which left it too late to pursue peace between Israel and the Palestinians. Now the Obama Administration risks being too late even before it has begun.​

Obama short on details? Perhaps.

But what if we were to consider these statements:

“Israel cannot be expected to negotiate with a party that calls for its destruction, engages in terrorism and maintains an armed militia. Hamas must choose: bullets or ballots.”

“I would work to isolate Hamas. We should not talk to Hamas unless and until they recognize Israel, renounce terrorism and accept past agreements.”

“Hamas has to decide between bullets and ballots - either it lays down its arms and acts democratically, or it continues as a terrorist organization and is treated as such. It cannot have it both ways.”

“I would also support alternatives to Hamas.”​
And to whom do these detailed statements belong?

VP-elect Joe Biden.

(source here).

Even more:

“The Hamas takeover of Gaza is deeply disturbing, increasing the danger to Israeli citizens already under attack from rockets fired indiscriminately from the Gaza territory.”

“The United States must continue to support our ally, Israel, as it defends itself against these attacks and insist that Hamas cannot be recognized until it renounces terrorism and recognizes Israel’s right to exist.”

“Israel and the international community are committed to supporting the new government of Palestinian Authority (PA) President Mahmoud Abbas, strengthening the PA and its ability to meet its responsibilities, in direct contrast to Hamas.”

“I am deeply concerned about the growing threat in Gaza. Hamas has built a military force equipped with sophisticated weapons from Iran. Hamas’ campaign of terror has claimed the lives of hundreds of innocent Israelis. Its charter calls for the destruction of Israel. It has shown no commitment to peace or to renouncing violence.”​
And whose detailed statements are these?

Secretary of State-appointee Hillary Clinton.

(source here)

Looks like the real question is: Will Obama’s statements on Hamas and terrorism be as strong as those from others in his incoming Administration.

January 2, 2009 at 4:41 am

Regarding the new administration and I-P conflict:
Extreme Mortman » Obama’s Hamas Details - Just When You Thought it Was Safe to Take Politics Seriously Again

Yes, you'll have to go to link for the links. ;)

----------------------------------------------------------

Expectations for the Obama presidency are extraordinarily high here in the US and all over the world, imo, unrealistically high. One comedian quipped that that when his most ardent supporters heard he would arrive in Washington for his inauguration by train from Philadelphia, they were disappointed having been certain he would get there by walking on water.

So far we have only sound bytes and slogans from the campaign to go. We'll just have to wait and see not only what he will try to do but what he will be able to do.

----------------------------------------------------------

Expectations for the Obama presidency are extraordinarily high here in the US and all over the world, imo, unrealistically high. One comedian quipped that that when his most ardent supporters heard he would arrive in Washington for his inauguration by train from Philadelphia, they were disappointed having been certain he would get there by walking on water.

So far we have only sound bytes and slogans from the campaign to go. We'll just have to wait and see not only what he will try to do but what he will be able to do.

Why do you say that? Didn't he tell you he could fix what the Boosh Administration broke? Why yes, I think he did. Now put up or shut up obamalama!

And the left sneered when we said what he was claiming was really nice, but hardly a presidential plan.

Why do you say that? Didn't he tell you he could fix what the Boosh Administration broke? Why yes, I think he did. Now put up or shut up obamalama!

-------------------------------------------------------------

Don't get me wrong. I didn't vote for Obama because I thought many of his proposals were too vague, others unrealistic and some others just wrong, and McCain, while not my first choice among the contenders for the Republican nomination, was at least predictable and acceptable. That said, the fact that America elected its first black president with the breakdown of he voting showing that race played virtually no role in the final tallies, has filled me with such pride that my country has moved so far in race relations during my lifetime, 66 years, that, at least for now, it overrides any concerns I have had about what his policies might turn out to be.

Obama's election has affirmed the progress America has made in race relations and the success of the Obama administration will help cement those gains and perhaps serve as a launching pad for further progress. Obama's election has shown many of us, perhaps most of us, here in the US and a great many around the world that the US is a much better place than we had thought it was, so in that respect, his presidency is already off to a good start. On January 20, Obama will not only become the 44th president of the United States and America's first black president, but my president, despite the fact I didn't vote for him, and the success of his administration will be America's success and therefore my success and to a significant degree the success of many around the world.

I heard a journalist analyze the Bush presidency by saying that Bush was a very good decided, meaning he was willing to confront tough issues and make tough decisions, but he was not a very good persuader, meaning that he was unable to rally popular support for his policies and decisions the way great persuaders like FDR and Reagan had. Obama shows promise of being a first rate persuader, but it is too soon to tell if he will be a good decider. I am not so much skeptical as without an opinion at this time, but I am hopeful that despite his lack of experience, he will grow into the job, as one of our great presidents who entered the White House with even less experience than Obama, did.

Race did play a role...among black voters.

THe military is universally concerned about Obama...yet a break down according to race shows that 8 out of 10 black military voters voted for him.

Race did play a role...among black voters.

THe military is universally concerned about Obama...yet a break down according to race shows that 8 out of 10 black military voters voted for him.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

True, but that is less remarkable to me than that the white vote did not seem to have been based on race to any measurable extent. When you consider that Kerry had gotten 90% of the black vote in 2004 to Obama's, I believe, 95% of the black vote and that black Americans make up only about 13.5% of the population, it isn't likely that their understandable enthusiasm of some black voters for the first black candidate for president who had a chance of winning made any difference in the electoral count although it may have boosted his popular majority by a fraction of a percent.

One could argue that he wouldn't have been able to win the Democratic nomination without the huge swing in the black vote on the eve of the South Carolina primary as a response to the dishonest accusation by Jim Clyburn that the Clintons were racists, and so it's clear that we didn't elect St. Obama, but in my experience all candidates are to some extent demeaned by the things they do to get elected, but for me, who grew up white in a large northeastern city and was bused for nearly 20 minutes by that city to an overcrowded but predominately white elementary school instead of being assigned to a predominately black elementary school that was walking distance from my house, the fact that a black man can be elected President of the United States when it was a preposterous notion when I was young to think a black man could be elected to city council overrides all other considerations for now.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

True, but that is less remarkable to me than that the white vote did not seem to have been based on race to any measurable extent. When you consider that Kerry had gotten 90% of the black vote in 2004 to Obama's, I believe, 95% of the black vote and that black Americans make up only about 13.5% of the population, it isn't likely that their understandable enthusiasm of some black voters for the first black candidate for president who had a chance of winning made any difference in the electoral count although it may have boosted his popular majority by a fraction of a percent.

One could argue that he wouldn't have been able to win the Democratic nomination without the huge swing in the black vote on the eve of the South Carolina primary as a response to the dishonest accusation by Jim Clyburn that the Clintons were racists, and so it's clear that we didn't elect St. Obama, but in my experience all candidates are to some extent demeaned by the things they do to get elected, but for me, who grew up white in a large northeastern city and was bused for nearly 20 minutes by that city to an overcrowded but predominately white elementary school instead of being assigned to a predominately black elementary school that was walking distance from my house, the fact that a black man can be elected President of the United States when it was a preposterous notion when I was young to think a black man could be elected to city council overrides all other considerations for now.

Don't think things have change so much yet. It is significant that Obama received very good support among white voters. What will be interesting to see is how many whites vote for him in 2012 if things get worse instead of better.

Don't think things have change so much yet. It is significant that Obama received very good support among white voters. What will be interesting to see is how many whites vote for him in 2012 if things get worse instead of better.

How much support Obama received from white voters is not significant to me. What is significant is that the white vote did not depend to any measurable degree on race. If he is voted out of office in four years because voters are unhappy with the job he's done and not because of his race,that's as it should be, and from the standpoint of race relations, I'll be just as happy with that vote as I am with this one, but it will be sad for America if it means we have not made good progress in dealing with the very difficult and dangerous problems we face today.

Forum List

Back