Seeing payment kiosks at McDonald's for the first

a loss for words

VIP Member
Oct 20, 2017
upper left corner of the republic
They haven't reached Oregon yet, but they have been in Israel for a while. I tried it out for the first time.

McDonald's Israel seems to be working from multilingual and high minimum wages. Minimum seems to seen as hogh, even though it is only a bit over $5.

The place I tried it out was in Jaffa. A place with a high Arab content. And tourists. The kiosk handled English , Arabic and Hebrew. It should have handled Russian as well.

The kiosk was kind on fun, you got your order quickly .

This is not American high standard of exactly the same product to a high standard. The staff didn't care .

This is going to catch on quickly . People are going to like it

They haven't reached Oregon yet, but they have been in Israel for a while. I tried it out for the first time.

McDonald's Israel seems to be working from multilingual and high minimum wages. Minimum seems to seen as hogh, even though it is only a bit over $5.

The place I tried it out was in Jaffa. A place with a high Arab content. And tourists. The kiosk handled English , Arabic and Hebrew. It should have handled Russian as well.

This is not American high standard of exactly the same product to a high standard. The staff didn't care .

/----/ We have them on Long Island. Saw them when I took my grandkids in. Not The most user friendly system.

/----/ Even if they can trim the payroll by 50% the surviving employees will need to change their attitudes with the Kiosks standing in the wings as a constant reminder. Also you can use an app to order ahead, then swing by the window to grab and go.

Went to one with the panels and an employee came over to help with it. I asked for and paid for an ice cream cone only to be told their machine wasn't working.

I'll go to one with live people to make sure I'm going to get what I ask for.

I went into a McDonald's strolled up to the kiosk, made my selection and was greeted by a male voice from the machine that had a heavy Indian accent...I couldn't understand a word he said...So I didn't get to place an order...

A loss for words, regarding self service machines:

Other than internet processing and serving the customers at their own sites, I don't perceive such automated customer service now being of much benefit to an enterprise not offering 24/7 service.

The cost of leasing or owning and maintaining such machines and the additional time customers' now require to use the machines, all contribute to (thus far) eliminating enterprise's net financial savings. Enterprises with very high traffic volume of customers actually lose more money per customer due to employing these machines; they require more machines occupying greater sales space.

Supermarkets were among the first enterprises to adopt these machines. You'll notice that they retain more manned rather than automated check-out aisle and usually, the number of automated machines do not exceed the number of cashiers on duty at any other than the slowest volume hours of business.
Thus far for most applications, these machines are promotional gimmicks otherwise financially unjustified.

Until and unless the cost of leasing these machines or owning them with a service contract are severely reduced, and customers become sufficiently accustomed to completing their transactions within less duration of time, these machines are more of a problem rather than a solution.

Respectfully, Supposn

Last edited:
I went into a McDonald's strolled up to the kiosk, made my selection and was greeted by a male voice from the machine that had a heavy Indian accent...I couldn't understand a word he said...So I didn't get to place an order...
They go to voice command and I am screwed. I yell at my own car because the voice activation fails to recognize what I say.

I don't believe it will catch on in most of America. Only in the real high minimum wage areas.

The Arab girl who was handling the register was about 20 and almost tri lingual- but not quite in English. Still... that requires pretty good skills.

You are going to see high skills is some staff, minimal in others.

Forum List

Back