Seed of Chucky

Dan

Aug 28, 2003
Aiken, SC
How bad will I get flamed if I start this review by saying the movie was too dumb?

I know, I know, how could I possibly expect anything other than a very very stupid movie. But here we are.

It's not that I was expecting a brilliant film. I was expecting a very trashy cornball lowbrow horror, honestly. But, I don't know what this was, honestly. Not... good.

The story concerns Chucky's kid, who was born at the end of Bride of Chucky. Living in England (doing ventriloquist performances as a dummy named "Shitface"), he sees on TV that they are making a movie in Hollywood based on Chucky and Tiffany, his parents. He flies to L.A. to be with his parents (after a little voo-doo revival, apparently the dolls they were using in the movie were the real Chucky and Tiffany dolls :rolleyes:). There's also another plot involving Jennifer Tilly (playing herself) trying to sleep with Redman (playing himself) to get a role as the Virgin Mary in the Bible epic he's directing. Chucky and Tiffany (who is also voiced by Tilly) eventually decide that they'll transfer their souls into Jennifer and Red's bodies.

The plot is less convoluted than it sounds and actually is pretty juvenile for the most part. Again, I don't really know how to classify this movie. There's lots of gore, but then it'll try to be a weird gross-out movie a la John Waters (who also appears in this as a sleazy papparazzi photographer). Hardly any scene has much relation to what came before or after, and it honestly has the feel that it was made up as they went along.

Here's a perfect example, your reaction to this will decide whether you want to see this or not... As Jennifer Tilly tries to seduce Redman on her couch, John Waters waits outside, taking pictures with a telephoto lens. He then zooms in on the upstairs bathroom, wherein Chucky is masturbating. To Fangoria Magazine. And this is before the movie gets really weird.

Chucky is probably onscreen for only 40 minutes out of this movie's 90 minute runtime. His role is basically reduced to an Archie Bunker type thing, bitching about his wife and complaining about his son.

I'll be honest, in the beginning I identified and liked the son character, but he goes through a transformation so bizarre it ruins his role, for me anyway. I won't give it away, but I guess after seeing the movie, the title should be a big giveaway as to what's going to happen with his character.

I liked the first Child's Play a lot. It wasn't necessarily scary, but it had some pretty good effects and was entertaining enough. 2 & 3 were good in a "so bad they're good" way. Bride of Chucky was probably the best of the entire series, for me. It was well-written and managed to balance some very clever jokes with really stupid humor.

This movie doesn't really try to do that. I don't really know what it was trying to do. I can honestly say I've never seen a movie like this before, so I guess that's something. If you're really a Chucky completist or something, rent it, but I don't really think you should bother.

Forum List

Back