See for yourself

BDBoop

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2011
Don't harsh my zen, Jen!
Keith Boykin: Everything The Media Told You About Occupy Wall Street Is Wrong

For months, people have been claiming "nobody can speak to the TPM, unless you've actually witnessed one yourself. Okay, turn about is fair play then, right?

I love to hear conservatives complaining that the protesters should be in Washington instead of Wall Street, as if the conservatives were really concerned about the most effective way for the demonstrators to make their case.

This location-based argument suggests a limiting "either/or" mentality that you can't be in both places, and also assumes that there's no reason to be on Wall Street at all.

As Herman Cain said recently, "Don't blame Wall Street. Don't blame the big banks. If you don't have a job and you're not rich, blame yourself.

But there's a good reason why Wall Street serves as an ideal venue for the demonstration. Unlike politicians in Washington, who have to answer to voters every few years, corporate executives on Wall Street don't have to answer to the public, even though their actions have a huge impact on all of us. It seems to me, the protesters picked a reasonable venue to launch their movement. In fact, judging by the row of satellite trucks parked outside the protest, I'd say Wall Street was exactly the right place to draw attention to their cause.

For months, people have been claiming "nobody can speak to the TPM, unless you've actually witnessed one yourself. Okay, turn about is fair play then, right?

I love to hear conservatives complaining that the protesters should be in Washington instead of Wall Street, as if the conservatives were really concerned about the most effective way for the demonstrators to make their case.

This location-based argument suggests a limiting "either/or" mentality that you can't be in both places, and also assumes that there's no reason to be on Wall Street at all.

As Herman Cain said recently, "Don't blame Wall Street. Don't blame the big banks. If you don't have a job and you're not rich, blame yourself.

But there's a good reason why Wall Street serves as an ideal venue for the demonstration. Unlike politicians in Washington, who have to answer to voters every few years, corporate executives on Wall Street don't have to answer to the public, even though their actions have a huge impact on all of us. It seems to me, the protesters picked a reasonable venue to launch their movement. In fact, judging by the row of satellite trucks parked outside the protest, I'd say Wall Street was exactly the right place to draw attention to their cause.
I've been down to the Mpls Occupados every work day since it started. I've read their signs and heard some of their moronic chants.

I let them speak for the movement and have found them nothing more than ingrateful useless idiots more or less socializing and looking for excuses to be assholes and obnoxious to those trying to work for a living.

What have YOU witnessed in person? What have you participated in?

As said recently, "Don't blame Wall Street. Don't blame the big banks. If you don't have a job and you're not rich, blame yourself.

Nothing like yelling at the wall. Its great, it can take whatever you through at it until you wear yourself out.

In the end the wall remains standing.

You address government because that is how we designed our system. It is to safeguard us from the sudden passions and ambitions of men.

The Tea Party, without exception across the country, has clearly stated objectives expressed in various ways: Persuade our elected leaders to cut back on wasteful spending thus reducing the size and scope of government, work toward a balanced budget, stimulate the economy by encouraging the private sector, and respect individual liberties. . . or . . .replace them with people who will.

The OWS has stated objectives of. . . .what?

The Tea Party, without exception across the country, has clearly stated objectives expressed in various ways: Persuade our elected leaders to cut back on wasteful spending thus reducing the size and scope of government, work toward a balanced budget, stimulate the economy by encouraging the private sector, and respect individual liberties. . . or . . .replace them with people who will.

and they make frequent use of soap and water.

I've been down to the Mpls Occupados every work day since it started. I've read their signs and heard some of their moronic chants.

I let them speak for the movement and have found them nothing more than ingrateful useless idiots more or less socializing and looking for excuses to be assholes and obnoxious to those trying to work for a living.

What have YOU witnessed in person? What have you participated in?

BD Barf is in the Armchair Division...

Either venue is appropriate – Wall Street or Washington. And as noted: Congress isn’t going to respond to anyone’s concerns, TPM or OWS.

I don't recall any accusations of rapes occurring at Tea Party events either.

And usually the normal police patrols are sufficient at Tea Party rallies, no property damage to report, and clean up already done when they leave. The extra police activity required by OWS is now running into the millions for municipalities where the demonstrations are going on, not to mention extensive property damage and huge messes left for city workers to clean up.

You guys realize we have been talking about a protest of nothing more than a couple hundred people?

I'm hearing that no ones there, its all media hype a ploy for ratings and hopefully thats all it will be. Or it will get just some sheep whipped up into a frenzy and who knows where that'll go. Look I think they have a right to be mad, but what has been the reaction from Wall Street? They don't care... This isn't going to change anything....

You guys realize we have been talking about a protest of nothing more than a couple hundred people?

I'm hearing that no ones there, its all media hype a ploy for ratings and hopefully thats all it will be. Or it will get just some sheep whipped up into a frenzy and who knows where that'll go. Look I think they have a right to be mad, but what has been the reaction from Wall Street? They don't care... This isn't going to change anything....

I don't know how many people are involved and I don't care. I do know a fair number of them think violence is okay to make a point and I know they're making a huge mess wherever they are congregating and costing honest taxpayers millions of dollars in city assets. That, coupled with the fact that they don't know what they want but they want it now is a royal turn off for honest, hard working Americans. Those who disrespect others are not worthy of respect.

After reading this "News" article... the Huffpoo is not news, it's activism... I have peer reviewed it to be full of shit and nothing more than spin and propaganda to hide what I see every day in Minneapolis.

The only points I cannot verify at this time he claims are:

Myth #1. The Movement Is Violent.

I can't verify this in MPLS, but there have been reports of it happening elsewhere.

Myth #2. It's Just A Bunch Of Pampered Kids.

He pulls a nice stunt by spinning it to seem as if it's only rich spoiled kids, which is true. But the entire contents of the group are nothing but pampered spoiled kids in their behavior.

Myth #3. There Are No Black People Involved.

That's being accused of the Tea Party. I've seen nobody claim this bullshit. It's just 92% white. Rdean would be proud.

Myth #4. They're Anti-American.

Well they're preaching death to western culture and the American way. Their signs do this constantly. Their chants and protests in front of banks stopping working people getting to and from work ruining their daily quality of life. So, claim it all you want. You're actions prove otherwise.

Myth #5. They're Just Modern-Day Hippies.

Have you SEEN them lately? I have. Just because you get one picture of a useful idiot libertarian or anti-establishmentarian in a suit, doesn't equate to the whole place looking like a bunch of mormon missionaries in their suits and ties.

Myth #6. They Don't Know What They Want.

As a whole, they don't. Individuals do... and they all want something different. Therefore, as a movement, they don't know what they want. Those organizing this know what they want and it's the same as what they have wanted since 1890: rich people's money without merit of work.

Myth #7. The Labor Unions Are Behind This.

They are. their public sector union support is universal.

Myth #8. They're Pro-Obama. They're Anti-Obama.

All depends on who you talk to in the group. Many think he's not liberal enough, so of course they don't like him.

Myth #9. They're In The Wrong Place.

In Minneapolis, they are at government plaza, blocks away from banks protesting 'wall street' corruption. Not only are the in the wrong city, but protesting in front of all the wrong people.

Myth #10. They're Taking Over Wall Street.

That's like saying squeegie men were taking over the street. They are an irritant and road hazard making people's lives, who they claim to want to help, worse. They're fools accomplishing nothing beyond making sure nobody ignores how dumb and ungrateful they really are.

I don't know how many people are involved and I don't care. I do know a fair number of them think violence is okay to make a point and I know they're making a huge mess wherever they are congregating and costing honest taxpayers millions of dollars in city assets. That, coupled with the fact that they don't know what they want but they want it now is a royal turn off for honest, hard working Americans. Those who disrespect others are not worthy of respect.

Good for you.... I remember asking you

They are irrelevant... that's all I'm saying I'm not justifying their actions or anything. This story is being spun out of control by the media.

And usually the normal police patrols are sufficient at Tea Party rallies, no property damage to report, and clean up already done when they leave. The extra police activity required by OWS is now running into the millions for municipalities where the demonstrations are going on, not to mention extensive property damage and huge messes left for city workers to clean up.
And not to mention personal property thefts from OWS participants...

Forum List

Back