security of wireless routers

sjay

VIP Member
Aug 24, 2009
Are wireless router connections less secure than ethernet cable connections? Have been using wireless for my banking online,my neighbor says that ethernet cable connection is more secure,is he right?

True...

... wifi scarfing can't happen to a ethernet connection...

... that isn't tied into a wifi connection.

True...

Isn't there a big security difference between a WIFI public hotspot such as starbucks and an individual WIRELESS router ? My question was comparing security of wireless to cable ethernet,not public wifi to ethernet.

True...

Isn't there a big security difference between a WIFI public hotspot such as starbucks and an individual WIRELESS router ? My question was comparing security of wireless to cable ethernet,not public wifi to ethernet.
Unsecured public wireless is not where you want to be doing online banking. Yes home Wifi routers are more secure but most people don't change the key code when it's installed and wireless keys can be remotely broken (by a neighbor or someone sitting in their car outside your house). Wired connections cannot be broken into though the router still can if not properly secured giving someone access to your computer via the router.

The Most Important Security Settings to Change on Your Router

True...

Unsecured public wireless is not where you want to be doing online banking. Yes home Wifi routers are more secure but most people don't change the key code when it's installed and wireless keys can be remotely broken (by a neighbor or someone sitting in their car outside your house). Wired connections cannot be broken into though the router still can if not properly secured giving someone access to your computer via the router.

Thanks for your informative answer and link Ringel05,but i'm 66 years old and very naive about computers and it's hard to teach an old dog so many new tricks.
So on to plan B,i have two laptops,if i connect one laptop to my router with an ethernet cable and leave my other laptop in wireless mode,will my router work with either laptop(i wouldn't have both laptops on at the same time.)? Will i have to make any adjustments every time i switch from using one laptop to the other laptop?

True...

Thanks for your informative answer and link Ringel05,but i'm 66 years old and very naive about computers and it's hard to teach an old dog so many new tricks.
So on to plan B,i have two laptops,if i connect one laptop to my router with an ethernet cable and leave my other laptop in wireless mode,will my router work with either laptop(i wouldn't have both laptops on at the same time.)? Will i have to make any adjustments every time i switch from using one laptop to the other laptop?
The wireless works for all WiFi capable computers within that router's range. If you use an either-net cable instead the signal to that computer is received through the cable even though it still "sees" the WiFi signal that it just doesn't use.
By the way I'm 61 and am self taught when it come to computers. Yes old dogs can learn new tricks........ :D

computer_humor_14.gif

My I-phone for some reason tells me I have used 80% of my data, then a day later..... I get another text that tells me I have used 90% of my data.

Like the computers I use at work, it just recently started dropping the web pages I browse. Irregularity I am reading the news and it cuts off.

Previously when I read a story on ABC News website and finished, I hit the back button and it would go to the previous page. Now..... It goes all the way to the front of ABC News, and I have to go forward to the news section I was reading.

My quick button on the browser for my I- phone - for the weather, starting within the past two months ..... Has been inaccurate at times . Weather forecast is mostly inaccurate, current temp is inaccurate, and conditions - cloudy, rain, clear, overcast..... For some reason is wrong .

And when I type , the page freezes.

Shadow 355

My I-phone for some reason tells me I have used 80% of my data, then a day later..... I get another text that tells me I have used 90% of my data.

Like the computers I use at work, it just recently started dropping the web pages I browse. Irregularity I am reading the news and it cuts off.

Previously when I read a story on ABC News website and finished, I hit the back button and it would go to the previous page. Now..... It goes all the way to the front of ABC News, and I have to go forward to the news section I was reading.

My quick button on the browser for my I- phone - for the weather, starting within the past two months ..... Has been inaccurate at times . Weather forecast is mostly inaccurate, current temp is inaccurate, and conditions - cloudy, rain, clear, overcast..... For some reason is wrong .

And when I type , the page freezes.

Shadow 355

Is it an iPhone 4? EVeryone I know that still has a 4 has had numerous problems since the last update.

Sounds like you're using up 10% of your data per day.

Are wireless router connections less secure than ethernet cable connections? Have been using wireless for my banking online,my neighbor says that ethernet cable connection is more secure,is he right?

Yes, he is right.

Hopefully you have at least WPA2 security set on your wireless. WEP is utterly worthless and can be cracked in seconds.

Forum List

Back