Security analysis of the Oslo terrorist's manifesto

Si modo

Diamond Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fairfax, Virginia
NORWAY’S ANDERS BREIVIK: WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION AND THE POLITICS OF CULTURAL DESPAIR

At some point, most security analysts face the dilemma of balancing expediency with analytical thoroughness. Such is the case with Norway’s Anders Breivik. While many of his victims await burial, his treatise—the 1500 page, 2083: A European Declaration of Independence (click here for PDF link)—became available only a few days ago. ....

First, Breivik has made claims, through his writing as well as to Oslo District Court Judge Kim Heger, that he is in league with extremist cells and that some of these co-conspirators “are already in the process of attempting to acquire chemical, biological, radiological, or nuclear materials.”[3] ....

Second, our initial analyses of Brevik’s comprehension of the relevant issues surrounding the fabrication and employment of CBRN concludes that he was motivated and capable of credibly pursuing low-end CBRN attacks—specifically those likely to result in mass effect as opposed to mass destruction . ....

We are presently inclined to conclude that Breivik acted alone. Consequently, his warnings of forthcoming CBRN events are likely invalid. However, given the nature of his attacks and the content of his treatise we urge the security community to seriously consider the possibility that cells of violent extremists are linked to Breivik; the pursuit of a CBRN capability—as well as the possibility of radiological and/or biological use—are a possibility.
https://www.fas.org/blog/terrorism/2011/07/norways-anders-breivik-weapons-of-mass-destruction-and-politics-of-cultural-despair.html?utm_source=MailingList&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=New+FAS+Terrorism+Analysis+Blog

In the first few pages of his manifesto, he references a couple of groups:

"Sincere and patriotic regards,
Andrew Berwick, London, England - 2011

Justiciar Knight Commander for Knights Templar Europe and one of several leaders of the National and pan-European Patriotic Resistance Movement

With the assistance from brothers and sisters in England, France, Germany, Sweden, Austria, Italy, Spain, Finland, Belgium, the Netherlands, Denmark, the US etc."

[Emphasis added]

It would seem prudent for all of us to be aware of these groups. And, it would seem prudent for all of the intelligence communities of the above mentioned nations look hard at those in the named groups.

Last edited:
So he is the author of this manifesto?

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Okay, then the man is a nationalist and also ethnocentric.

He's also a murdering piece of human excrement.

One can be a nationalist, one can even be ethnocentric, and NOT be a right wing (or left wing, or upper wing, or lower wing or no wing at all!) murdering nutcase.

So he is the author of this manifesto?

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Okay, then the man is a nationalist and also ethnocentric.

He's also a murdering piece of human excrement.

One can be a nationalist, one can even be ethnocentric, and NOT be a right wing (or left wing, or upper wing, or lower wing or no wing at all!) murdering nutcase.
Yup.

I found it interesting because he explicitly names some groups. He talks about not being alone and he talks about CBRN. So, for me, it's good to register these groups in my mind.

Forum List

Back