Secular Sermons

Joz

Mar 9, 2004
For those who don't know, I am ordained by a Christian church and have been licensed by the State. I am about to publish a web site for marriage/weddings.

The problem I'm encountering is that tho' marriage (I believe) is of Divine origin, not everyone shares my view. And, I believe that there are those who desire to be married without realizing this. So I haven't a problem in conducting this type of ceremony.
I'm having a rather difficult time tho', constructing marriage sermons without mentioning God. I can't with a clear conscience speak of spirits or Mother Earth as some do. So how does one speak of truth, love, & respect, otherwise?

Joz said:
For those who don't know, I am ordained by a Christian church and have been licensed by the State. I am about to publish a web site for marriage/weddings.

The problem I'm encountering is that tho' marriage (I believe) is of Divine origin, not everyone shares my view. And, I believe that there are those who desire to be married without realizing this. So I haven't a problem in conducting this type of ceremony.
I'm having a rather difficult time tho', constructing marriage sermons without mentioning God. I can't with a clear conscience speak of spirits or Mother Earth as some do. So how does one speak of truth, love, & respect, otherwise?
If it's against your beliefs, why sacrifice them? I feel it may be difficult for you to participate in something that you'd don't condone/believe in.

The ClayTaurus said:
...and watch her win the lawsuit.

How? If she has a 'business' - buinesses can't discriminate, in MANY areas, on things such as religion or sexual perversions. IF she won, it'd be besides the point, as she'd still have to go THROUGH it.

The ClayTaurus said:
If it's against your beliefs, why sacrifice them? I feel it may be difficult for you to participate in something that you'd don't condone/believe in.
I don't think you read my explanation. The mere fact that someone desires to be married is of God. But there are those who donot want God mentioned in the service. I haven't a problem in uniting a couple that love each other & want to spend their life together.

And as far as choosing to not marry some, I do not perform same-sex unions or any couple that I believe are not marriage ready.

Hey all, I think it comes down to a question for whom are you trying to write the website/sermon for? and by this I do not mean the religous or the secular, but for yourself, or for others? You are ordained, so I believe you have an inherent interest in seeing others married, but at the same time you have your own conception of marriage.

I am unsure how to respond to your question in terms of the website/sermon, but in general I would advise abiding by your own conception, as nobody can reasonably expect anything else. Certainley make exceptions for those you wish to, but realize this may restrict your practice in general.

In terms of practically constructing a sermon sans God I would use the word devotion. Mentioning spirits and such mumbo jumbo seems rediculous to me. I think it all comes back to who are you writing this sermon for?

Joz said:
I don't think you read my explanation. The mere fact that someone desires to be married is of God. But there are those who donot want God mentioned in the service. I haven't a problem in uniting a couple that love each other & want to spend their life together.

And as far as choosing to not marry some, I do not perform same-sex unions or any couple that I believe are not marriage ready.

sorry--I dont understand the problem. Tell em that you don't do services that don't include God.

• Thanks
Reactions: Joz
dilloduck said:
sorry--I dont understand the problem. Tell em that you don't do services that don't include God.
Don't think I haven't agonized over this. That sounds quite simple. Maybe that's my whole problem. I'm trying to include things that have no business being included. Yet if a couple truly believes in the sanctity of marriage, why should I not marry them?
There are all kinds of restrictions that some ministers put upon a couple.

Joz, I would simply state on your website that you believe that marriage is ordained by God, and that your marriage sermons will mention the involvement of God in ordaining/establishing marriage. That way, people who are automatically put off by God will look elsewhere.

gop_jeff said:
Joz, I would simply state on your website that you believe that marriage is ordained by God, and that your marriage sermons will mention the involvement of God in ordaining/establishing marriage. That way, people who are automatically put off by God will look elsewhere.

dilloduck said:
Tell em that you don't do services that don't include God.
I knew if I talked it out, I'd have enough input to make the right decision. You both are so right.
If I stand firm on the no gay union why would I not stand firm on this? I do believe marriage is God ordained and that's how it should be presented. Thanks guys.

Ps. The changes have been made. I deleted "civil" from the text.

Joz said:
I knew if I talked it out, I'd have enough input to make the right decision. You both are so right.
If I stand firm on the no gay union why would I not stand firm on this? I do believe marriage is God ordained and that's how it should be presented. Thanks guys.

Cool, hope it works out!

gop_jeff said:
Cool, hope it works out!
Thank you Jeff. It's back to going smoothly again, now that I'm not in conflict. I should have known that if it was THAT hard, something was amiss...... like my thinking. What a goof. :rolleyes:

Forum List

Back