Secretary of State Powell Resigns

Mr. P said:
I think this was expected.
yup--he announced it at his staff meeting but is going to let Bush make the official announcement. Any guess as to the new choice? I hear Condi would very much like it and would be a great choice IMHO.

dilloduck said:
yup--he announced it at his staff meeting but is going to let Bush make the official announcement. Any guess as to the new choice? I hear Condi would very much like it and would be a great choice IMHO.
I heard Condi as well..we'll see.

Yep....I think she would be a fine Sec of State....although she may be better qualified to be Sec of Def.

How about Schwazkopf as Sec of Def....if Rumsfeld decides to roll in his carpet.

I think that is the question. If Rumsfeld decides to leave (or is asked) that opens the door for Powell to go back to work in the Pentagon, andf I think he would do a much better job.

So many good candidates for Sec of State. But I think Dr Rice would be the best choice in my circle of knowledge.

Haha the plan is coming together. Driving out all the moderate voices in order to put the neocons in so that Bush's ultra conservative agenda can be pushed forward and we can rule the world!... oh wait we already rule it...nevermind.

Im sure there are alot of good choices for Sec of State that we have never heard of. im not terribly worried about it. Just as long as its not Jimmy Carter..Haha

Haha the plan is coming together. Driving out all the moderate voices in order to put the neocons in so that Bush's ultra conservative agenda can be pushed forward and we can rule the world!... oh wait we already rule it...nevermind.

Im sure there are alot of good choices for Sec of State that we have never heard of. im not terribly worried about it. Just as long as its not Jimmy Carter..Haha

No kidding !!!!!----I think Ms Powell wants to get out of the political life all together. Can't say as I blame her.

Today, we pack the Cabinet with Evangelical Theocrats; tomorrow - The Supreme Court!!! As Catwoman would say, "Our evil plan is unfolding purrrrrr-fectly!"

Fmr jarhead said:
Yep....I think she would be a fine Sec of State....although she may be better qualified to be Sec of Def.

How about Schwazkopf as Sec of Def....if Rumsfeld decides to roll in his carpet.

I think that is the question. If Rumsfeld decides to leave (or is asked) that opens the door for Powell to go back to work in the Pentagon, andf I think he would do a much better job.

So many good candidates for Sec of State. But I think Dr Rice would be the best choice in my circle of knowledge.
Schwazkopf...I'd say yes/maybe.
Remember he wanted to go all the way to Bagdad back in 91. May be a bit of friction there..I think he would be a good choice though..How about Franks?

AS Sec of State.....probably a good choice....but it would definitely put a military face on the US in global negotiations. That's why I thought it odd that Powell was offered the position, in the first place.

Do you know if there is a conflict of interest of a former staff officer becoming the Sec of Def? I could understand how a civilian with fmr military background could become a distraction at the Pentagon.....anyone know the answer, or know of any past history where a former General was nominated as Sec of Def?

(I know...kind of off topic)

Fmr jarhead said:
AS Sec of State.....probably a good choice....but it would definitely put a military face on the US in global negotiations. That's why I thought it odd that Powell was offered the position, in the first place.

Do you know if there is a conflict of interest of a former staff officer becoming the Sec of Def? I could understand how a civilian with fmr military background could become a distraction at the Pentagon.....anyone know the answer, or know of any past history where a former General was nominated as Sec of Def?

(I know...kind of off topic)

I don't..but I know of one former General that became President. Hummmm.

I think Anthony Zinni would be the best choice for Sec. Def. He has all of Rummy's reforming instincts, as well as the courage to tell Pres. Bush the truth.

I hope Rice gets the Sec. State post. She would be a damn effective cabinet member and would wipe out all bad memories of another woman in that post, Madeline Albright.

I'm just waiting for Powell's tell-all book. I suspect it will be damning to certain folks in the administration while avoiding any direct shots at the president. Nevertheless, more ammunition for the folks on Capitol Hill in both parties with their agendas.

Interesting...Not the resignation, but the motive behind it.

You all do realize that Colin Powell's 70% job approval rating is higher than the president's 54% job approval rating. In layman's terms, the people believe in Colin Powell's judgement more than the president's. Now we can't have that, can we?

So in a political perspective, Colin goes out like Maximus in Gladiator. I just hope he posseses the courage to politically take down the "emperor" before it's too late.

P.S.- To Condi, congrats on the new job, I'm sure you'd earned it. :suck: :rolleyes:

hylandrdet said:
Interesting...Not the resignation, but the motive behind it.

You all do realize that Colin Powell's 70% job approval rating is higher than the president's 54% job approval rating. In layman's terms, the people believe in Colin Powell's judgement more than the president's. Now we can't have that, can we?

So in a political perspective, Colin goes out like Maximus in Gladiator. I just hope he posseses the courage to politically take down the "emperor" before it's too late.

P.S.- To Condi, congrats on the new job, I'm sure you'd earned it. :suck: :rolleyes:

you just hate her because she's black

Anyone else find this hylandr guy just hilarious? Right before the election he is calm and cool "I like Kerry blah blah" then after Bush wins he goes psycho!

BUSH IS CREATING A THEOCRAY
BUSH IS PERSECUTING NON-CHRISTIANS
BUSH IS AN EEEEVIL EMPEROR
YYYEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHH!

Forum List

Back