Secret Service pays visit to Boulder High School

-Cp

Sep 23, 2004
Earth
If these were my kids, I'd beat their asses

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/local/article/0,1299,DRMN_15_3323602,00.html

Secret Service pays visit to Boulder High
By Hector Gutierrez, Rocky Mountain News
November 12, 2004

Bob Dylan's Masters of War is a hard-hitting, anti-war song produced more than 20 years before any current Boulder High School student was born.

More than 40 years after its release, the song has been resurrected at Boulder High with huge and confusing repercussions that prompted Secret Service agents to pay the campus a visit Thursday.

Some students and parents apparently let the Secret Service and talk-radio stations know they were unhappy with the plan of a trio of students to do a poetry reading of the song, accompanied by background music, according to Ron Cabrera, the school's principal.

Rumors were rampant that during an audition and rehearsal for today's talent show, the students changed Dylan's powerful last verse at the end of the song to say that they hoped that President Bush was going to die.

The last verse begins: "And I hope that you die; And your death'll come soon."

Secret Service agents interviewed Cabrera on Thursday to determine what all the uproar was about and whether any threats were being made against the president's life.

"They were following up and doing their due diligence," Cabrera said of the agents' visit. "They had been receiving calls from the community and, in the course of the talk show, felt like they had heard (the students) inciting physical harm to the president."

Cabrera said he talked to the students and teachers who have been working with them, and he was told the group, which calls itself the Coalition of the Willing, made no reference to Bush.

"I don't know why it surfaced," Cabrera said of the complaints. "I think they're surprised by all the allegations."

Cabrera said he also showed the agents the lyrics of the entire song. The agents appeared to have left satisfied that no bona-fide threat was being directed at the president, he said.

The principal said the students' performance of the song at the talent show upholds their right to express themselves, and he did not think it was inappropriate in a campus setting.

A Secret Service spokesman could not be reached for comment.

Cabrera acknowledged that the group did consider at one time naming itself the "Tali-banned." A teacher persuaded the teens to drop the title because it was offensive, he said.

-Cp said:
If these were my kids, I'd beat their asses

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/local/article/0,1299,DRMN_15_3323602,00.html

Secret Service pays visit to Boulder High
By Hector Gutierrez, Rocky Mountain News
November 12, 2004

Bob Dylan's Masters of War is a hard-hitting, anti-war song produced more than 20 years before any current Boulder High School student was born.

More than 40 years after its release, the song has been resurrected at Boulder High with huge and confusing repercussions that prompted Secret Service agents to pay the campus a visit Thursday.

Some students and parents apparently let the Secret Service and talk-radio stations know they were unhappy with the plan of a trio of students to do a poetry reading of the song, accompanied by background music, according to Ron Cabrera, the school's principal.

Rumors were rampant that during an audition and rehearsal for today's talent show, the students changed Dylan's powerful last verse at the end of the song to say that they hoped that President Bush was going to die.

The last verse begins: "And I hope that you die; And your death'll come soon."

Secret Service agents interviewed Cabrera on Thursday to determine what all the uproar was about and whether any threats were being made against the president's life.

"They were following up and doing their due diligence," Cabrera said of the agents' visit. "They had been receiving calls from the community and, in the course of the talk show, felt like they had heard (the students) inciting physical harm to the president."

Cabrera said he talked to the students and teachers who have been working with them, and he was told the group, which calls itself the Coalition of the Willing, made no reference to Bush.

"I don't know why it surfaced," Cabrera said of the complaints. "I think they're surprised by all the allegations."

Cabrera said he also showed the agents the lyrics of the entire song. The agents appeared to have left satisfied that no bona-fide threat was being directed at the president, he said.

The principal said the students' performance of the song at the talent show upholds their right to express themselves, and he did not think it was inappropriate in a campus setting.

A Secret Service spokesman could not be reached for comment.

Cabrera acknowledged that the group did consider at one time naming itself the "Tali-banned." A teacher persuaded the teens to drop the title because it was offensive, he said.

If I were the School Board I would fire the Principal and both Teachers that were in the Band.

no1tovote4 said:
If I were the School Board I would fire the Principal and both Teachers that were in the Band.

is not free speach allowed in you alls world? ..... the song is the same as sung 40 years ago and the CIA stated that there was no reference to bush or a threat to bush....don't understand the issue here?

manu1959 said:
is not free speach allowed in you alls world? ..... the song is the same as sung 40 years ago and the CIA stated that there was no reference to bush or a threat to bush....don't understand the issue here?

It is inappropriate for a teacher to express a political view in a way to indoctrinate his students into it. It is inappropriate for the Principal to allow such indoctrination to take place. It is not the teachers job to convert their students to their political view.

If the band were entirely made up of students, other than the SS visit I don't think this would be a big deal.

However, the SS arrested and questioned a drunk once at Stapleton Int'l Airport that was asleep when Reagan come on TV and spoke in his sleep, "Somebody should kill that, SOB!"

It is their job to investigate even the slightest threat. Kind of like calling up the fire dept and saying you smell smoke a little bit. They will show up with a firetruck in order to put out just a suspected fire.

manu1959 said:

They had a multi-media display behind the song. At the lines

I wish you were dead
I wish you would die soon
and
I want to walk on your grave and make sure you are dead

They would pause and a new picture of Bush appeared on the screen just before the line was sung. The entire multi-media barrage was a anti-Bush expression. This was not only promoted by the teacher but vigorously supported and the teacher was part of the band. 2 teachers actually. One of the teachers promoted an activity at school where students were requested to bring in blank t-shirts on which they painted the words "Fuck Bush!" with school provided paint. The man is clearly promoting his political view and attempting to indocrinate the students.

If you don't live here you aren't getting the coverage that we are and you don't understand what is happening.

no1tovote4 said:
They had a multi-media display behind the song. At the lines

I wish you were dead
I wish you would die soon
and
I want to walk on your grave and make sure you are dead

They would pause and a new picture of Bush appeared on the screen just before the line was sung. The entire multi-media barrage was a anti-Bush expression. This was not only promoted by the teacher but vigorously supported and the teacher was part of the band. 2 teachers actually. One of the teachers promoted an activity at school where students were requested to bring in blank t-shirts on which they painted the words "Fuck Bush!" with school provided paint. The man is clearly promoting his political view and attempting to indocrinate the students.

If you don't live here you aren't getting the coverage that we are and you don't understand what is happening.

thank you for the clarification.....if that is what in fact occured.... which is not what the media story said (gee imagine that) then the teachers should be fired and the children should be suspended for making therats against the president

manu1959 said:
thank you for the clarification.....if that is what in fact occured.... which is not what the media story said (gee imagine that) then the teachers should be fired and the children should be suspended for making therats against the president

Yeah, I didn't make it clear before, did I? It is the quitting smoking, please forgive me if I sounded a little strong there. I will try to keep my nic-fits under control and not under my fingers.

no1tovote4 said:
Yeah, I didn't make it clear before, did I? It is the quitting smoking, please forgive me if I sounded a little strong there. I will try to keep my nic-fits under control and not under my fingers.

no worries....i enjoy conflict....tis what i do....quit smoking in 2001 after 20 years....hang in there it is worth it

manu1959 said:
no worries....i enjoy conflict....tis what i do....quit smoking in 2001 after 20 years....hang in there it is worth it

It is tough, but this time I swear I will get it right!

I wonder if the idiot principal would be so supportive of the student's "rights" if they had wished the principal dead instead of the president.

My guess is that the traitorous little bastards would have been expelled so fast that they would have suffered friction burns.

Forum List

Back