Secret photo of a cowering dictator

Lefty Wilbury

Nov 4, 2003
click on the link for the pic.

http://dailytelegraph.news.com.au/story.jsp?sectionid=1258&storyid=733336

Secret photo of a cowering dictator

By BRAD CLIFTON

January 9, 2004

THIS appears to be the moment Saddam Hussein was dragged from his hole and exposed to the world – but it is a snapshot the US military did not want the world to see.

The photograph, apparently taken in the seconds after Saddam's capture near Tikrit last month, appeared for the first time yesterday on a military-related website.

The image shows a US soldier posing for the camera as he pins the bearded dictator's body and face to the dirt.

A clearly-distressed Saddam lies on his stomach as members of the US 4th Infantry Division surround him.

US military officials refused to confirm if the photograph was genuine.

The photo was published on the US website Military.com after it was supplied to one of the site's contributors, former journalist John Weisman.

"This photograph of Saddam Hussein in the moment of his capture was e-mailed to me by a friend in special forces who was damn proud of what his former colleagues in Iraq had accomplished when they pulled the dictator out of his hole," Mr Weisman said. "I thought the photo deserved wide dissemination."

Mr Weisman said he had refused military requests to remove the photograph from the site. The officials had claimed it was a security risk.

"While the soldiers in the field may have loved the idea of showing Saddam au naturel, not everyone felt that way," Mr Weisman wrote on the website.

"In fact, Military.com received a call from an official asking them to remove the photo for national security reasons.

"To me, this official was being myopic and his perception has not been echoed by the guys in the trenches, who obviously know a great picture when they see one.

"I'd like to see this photograph posted in every public building in the US so Americans can be reminded to thank the American soldiers who put their lives on the line every day to keep this nation safe and free."

Military.com spokesperson Anne Dwane insisted the picture was genuine.

"Much of our material comes in anonymously and, given our military membership, we have no reason to doubt it,' Ms Dwane said. "It certainly looks like Saddam."

If the authenticity of the picture is proved, it would have been taken by a member of the 600-strong force that captured Saddam at a farmhouse near Tikrit.

Although official army photographers were on hand to record the moment, the picture may have been snapped by a soldier, many of whom were known to carry small cameras while on patrol.

I see nothing wrong with this. Had that been me, I'd have blown that bad boy up to a 10 x 13 and hung it high on the wall.

"I'd like to see this photograph posted in every public building in the US so Americans can be reminded to thank the American soldiers who put their lives on the line every day to keep this nation safe and free."

:clap:

Me neither.

I could take a similar photograph in any city in the UK of police arresting hooligans or drunks on Friday or saturday night.

*SOB* U.S. soldiers held the head of an evil dictator who's drilled holes in men's genitals and poured acid in them to the ground! *sob* *sob* How COULD they?

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
And don't forget, the prisoners in Gitmo are eating packaged breakfast cereal.

How cruel.

because TECHNICALLY, its a geneva violation. If you'll remember rumsfelds rant about showing american POW's on camera and the news, the same would legally apply.

Personally, what I think would look better, is dressing him up like a woman, stuff a porkchop or a polish sausage in his mouth, then take the picture and post it.

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
Awwwww...

Checking Saddam for head lice just demonstrated our concern for his health and well-being.

In the end, it doesn't matter what we show or don't show - the same people will find ways to make the U.S. wrong.

not everyone deserves their day in court. hes getting a hell of alot more than he gave when he was terrorizing. they should have chucked a frag down the hole.

Forum List

Back