Second Term for Administration

Kathianne said:
May not be what is passing for conventional wisdom:

http://www.commentarymagazine.com/special/A11902025_1.html

The notion that the Bush Doctrine lacks solid political backing derives from the widely publicized National Election Pool (NEP) exit poll.

I wonder if these are the same people that said Kerry was winning....

Furthermore, I would argue that if one supports moral values, they also support the WoT as it is seen by many as a morally justified war.

freeandfun1 said:

Furthermore, I would argue that if one supports moral values, they also support the WoT as it is seen by many as a morally justified war.

You are partially there! It's a long read, but worth it.

freeandfun1 said:

I think the peoples desire to continue to punish the Dem party for the Clintons' behavior is getting lost in the shuffle here too!

In backing up this thesis, Luttwak notes that Ronald Reagan became less rather than more hawkish in his second term, while Bill Clinton, after neglecting foreign policy in his first term, immersed himself in it with a vengeance once he was reelected.

If this were true, I would suggest 911 would never have occured.

You are right Kat, this is a good read!

Kathianne said:
May not be what is passing for conventional wisdom:

http://www.commentarymagazine.com/special/A11902025_1.html

Long read alright, but worth it. Thanks Kathianne, welcome back.

I agree Bush was supported by more than just the "morals" argument that that questionable NEP exit poll came up with. Maybe we should relabel ourselves traditionalists instead of conservatives. I'm going to have to read James Webb's new book "Born Fighting". Sounds good:

Recently the novelist (and former Secretary of the Navy) James Webb has been arguing, convincingly, that this traditionalist culture is rooted in and still fed by the Scots-Irish ethnic group that comprises a very large proportion of the population of the "red" states. It is a group, he writes, whose members are "family-oriented"; they "measure leaders by their personal strength and values"; they "have a 2,000-year-old military tradition"; and they "are deeply patriotic, having consistently supported every war America has fought, and [are] intensely opposed to gun control."

I also like the PR approach of Bush "draining the swamps" including the nasty one we have on the home front.

ScreamingEagle said:
Long read alright, but worth it. Thanks Kathianne, welcome back.

I agree Bush was supported by more than just the "morals" argument that that questionable NEP exit poll came up with. Maybe we should relabel ourselves traditionalists instead of conservatives. I'm going to have to read James Webb's new book "Born Fighting". Sounds good:

I also like the PR approach of Bush "draining the swamps" including the nasty one we have on the home front.

Does sound like a good book. I think I still have some Border's gift cards...

New Topics

Forum List

Back