Second Language Acquisition

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
Is a life-long process. Anyone honest will tell you that any language they learned after the Critical Period is something they are still working on. However, the benefits of learning languages are many and well-documented. These benefits continue even (or especially) into later life. Couldn't hurt to take on one more.

I can still read and write several languages very well.

But I now have trouble with Spanish and my French is not any better.

One has to stick with it, period.

in germany every child starts learning english in class 5
minimum is to class 9, a lot to class 10, and many till class 12-13
the 3d language gets tought in germany at class 7, theres choice then, either french which is the most usual 3d language or latein, russian, chinese , italian,polish,japanese,spanish,portuguese,italian,arabic,danish,chechoslovacian,netherlands speech,hungarian,greek,bulgarian ,romanian

some schools have more rare languages like hindi or thai as 3d languages

theres allso the choice to learn aditional languages

remember lots of this countrys are either neighbors to germany or at least in the EU

netherlands are special, we germans and the people of the netherlands can almost understand each other

in german their language is called Hollandisch,its not german

frisian is not it

Last edited:
Foreign language instruction in American education is given even shorter shrift than Mathematics. It might be a good idea to offer more choice, make it a more 'serious' subject, and start instruction earlier in the educational process. It might also be a good idea to offer language classes at senior/community centers.

It's true that most Americans can live their Ives just fine without ever mastering a second language, but the benefits beyond communicative necessity are many and great.

It's true that most Americans can live their Ives just fine without ever mastering a second language, but the benefits beyond communicative necessity are many and great.
It's even more important to TRAVEL beyond national borders and experience & respect other cultures. Knowing more than one language is a definite plus.

the 3d language gets tought in germany at class 7, theres choice then, either french which is the most usual 3d language or latein, russian, chinese, italian,polish,japanese,spanish,portuguese,italian,arabic,danish,chechoslovacian,netherlands speech,hungarian,greek,bulgarian ,romanian

remember lots of this countrys are either neighbors to germany or at least in the EU

netherlands are special, we germans and the people of the netherlands can almost understand each other

frisian is not it
In my experience, the Dutch & Swiss are the most multilingual; know 4 languages.

the 3d language gets tought in germany at class 7, theres choice then, either french which is the most usual 3d language or latein, russian, chinese, italian,polish,japanese,spanish,portuguese,italian,arabic,danish,chechoslovacian,netherlands speech,hungarian,greek,bulgarian ,romanian

frisian is not it
In my experience, the Dutch & Swiss are the most multilingual; know 4 languages.

There is no "most." The human capacity for learning languages is pretty great. There are some places in Africa where children growing up near the confluence of various villages and/or territories commonly speak quite a few different languages and dialects.

There is one tried and true method for learning a second...or third...etc..., language. It is....oddly enough....the very same method used by everyone to learn their first.

Consider that. How did you learn your first language? You listened. You listened A LOT. You didn't say anything for a long time. You didn't understand much either. But...you listened constantly.

After many many months of daily listening..you began to comprehend the meaning of some words. And...whether or not you understood the meaning...you began to repeat what you heard. next thing you knew...you were adding words to your vocabulary with ease. You had your first language. Piece of cake.

If you've got the time to commit to it....you can learn a second language with ease. Just do that again. Disregard your desire to know what words mean until you begin to comprehend without trying. IOW...don't translate as it adds an extra step that is unneccesary and inhibits learning. Simply listen a lot....and when ready....start repeating the words you hear. You'll be fluent in a matter of months.

You can thank me later.

There is one tried and true method for learning a second...or third...etc..., language. It is....oddly enough....the very same method used by everyone to learn their first.

Consider that. How did you learn your first language? You listened. You listened A LOT. You didn't say anything for a long time. You didn't understand much either. But...you listened constantly.

After many many months of daily listening..you began to comprehend the meaning of some words. And...whether or not you understood the meaning...you began to repeat what you heard. next thing you knew...you were adding words to your vocabulary with ease. You had your first language. Piece of cake.

If you've got the time to commit to it....you can learn a second language with ease. Just do that again. Disregard your desire to know what words mean until you begin to comprehend without trying. IOW...don't translate as it adds an extra step that is unneccesary and inhibits learning. Simply listen a lot....and when ready....start repeating the words you hear. You'll be fluent in a matter of months.

You can thank me later.

Wow. Remarkably inaccurate and tremendously bad advice. But I'm sure you were just kidding.

You can thank me later.

Wow. Remarkably inaccurate and tremendously bad advice. But I'm sure you were just kidding.

You can always be counted on for arrogance...if nothing else.

You can thank me later.

Be serious.

You can thank me later.

Be serious.

I gave you the recipe for learning a second language. You shit on it. Your call.

You can thank me later.

Be serious.

I gave you the recipe for learning a second language. ....

No, you really didn't.

You can thank me later.

Be serious.

No, you really didn't.

Yep. I sure did. Works every time.

Be serious.

No, you really didn't.

I guess you weren't kidding. Sorry, but you are just about completely wrong on all counts. Don't take it personally.

Be serious.

No, you really didn't.

I guess you weren't kidding. Sorry, but you are just about completely wrong on all counts. Don't take it personally.

I see. Have you ever tried my method?

Be serious.

No, you really didn't.

Nobody has and nobody will. Everything you posted was inaccurate. Again, don't take it personally.

No, you really didn't.

Nobody has and nobody will. Everything you posted was inaccurate. Again, don't take it personally.

You certainly are arrogant. I'm sure you are going to support that claim with something other than definitive statements. I'll wait.

Forum List

Back