Second Iraq War Vet Hurt During Oakland Clash With Police

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
r-KAYVAN-SABEGHI-large570.jpg

OAKLAND, Calif. -- The second Iraq war veteran hospitalized after a confrontation at an Occupy Oakland protest wasn't participating in the demonstration when he was injured and arrested, a friend and colleague said Saturday.

Kayvan Sabeghi, 32, had joined in a march the day before but was only trying to get home when he was beaten by police early Thursday, said Esther Goodstal, who co-owns a brewery with Sabeghi in nearby El Cerrito.

"I saw he had bruises all over his body, and that's not right," Goodstal told The Associated Press in a phone interview. "No one should treat another human being like this."

A Highland Hospital spokesman said Sabeghi was in fair condition Saturday but released no further details. Goodstal said Sabeghi was in the intensive care unit and had to undergo surgery for a lacerated spleen. She said he was mostly in good spirits.

More: Kayvan Sabeghi Injured: Second Iraq War Vet Hurt During Oakland Clash With Police (VIDEO)

Shit happens when you hang out with liberal protesters.........

You can't be claiming that it's ok for police to beat people up because of their political views, right?

You know as well as anyone here I did not say nor mean that. you also know that the police were attacked that evening. So don't act so shocked, we all knew it was coming. I almost hope the local OWS try some shit during our ceremony tomorrow. We'll be less than a block away from them and there should be several hundred real veterans there...

You can't be claiming that it's ok for police to beat people up because of their political views, right?

You know as well as anyone here I did not say nor mean that. you also know that the police were attacked that evening. So don't act so shocked, we all knew it was coming. I almost hope the local OWS try some shit during our ceremony tomorrow. We'll be less than a block away from them and there should be several hundred real veterans there...

So, because the police were attacked that evening, it was justified for them to beat and arrest a man who had protested earlier in the day, hours before, but at the time was just trying to get home?

You believe that all you want. Please tell us where he was trying to get home from..... Maybe from a building that had just been used as a launch pad for rocks?

I have no sympathy here.

You believe that all you want. Please tell us where he was trying to get home from..... Maybe from a building that had just been used as a launch pad for rocks?

I have no sympathy here.

He was trying to get home from the restaurant he and his friends had gone out to dinner at, after leaving the protest hours before.

Perhaps you'd look less like a fool if you read the story, instead of making assumptions.

Its ok for police to beat up people when they get violent, as they are in the 'occupy' riots.

I fail to see what this particular man being a vet has to do with anything, except if course to incur sympathy and distract from the relevant facts like this man attended such a riot.

Its ok for police to beat up people when they get violent, as they are in the 'occupy' riots.

I fail to see what this particular man being a vet has to do with anything, except if course to incur sympathy and distract from the relevant facts like this man attended such a riot.

This man wasn't being "violent", he was just trying to get home. He wasn't part of the protests at the time.

This man wasn't being "violent", he was just trying to get home. He wasn't part of the protests at the time.

No, he confronted the line of police. Not a smart idea when there is a riot going on:
He was walking home in west Oakland sometime late Wednesday or early Thursday when he encountered a line of police at the protest who wouldn't let him through, Goodstal said.

No, he confronted the line of police. Not a smart idea when there is a riot going on:
He was walking home in west Oakland sometime late Wednesday or early Thursday when he encountered a line of police at the protest who wouldn't let him through, Goodstal said.

So, how was he supposed to get home? His apartment was on the other side of the "line of police".

So, how was he supposed to get home? His apartment was on the other side of the "line of police".

Hmm. Line of police. Go AROUND. Or through. He chose badly.

The police were barricading his block - as in, the were keeping protesters off the block. He wasn't a protester, he was a resident of the block. The police had no right to stop him, let alone beat him and arrest him.

The police were barricading his block - as in, the were keeping protesters off the block. He wasn't a protester, he was a resident of the block. The police had no right to stop him, let alone beat him and arrest him.

Thats true, unless he didn't obey their orders. I've had my entrance to my neighborhood blocked before by police, doesn't mean I go up and argue with em.

I still don't see what him being a vet has anything to do with the story though. Did the police ask him if he was a vet, then beat him down because of it?

So they formed a giant square around only his block? I call bullshit. He WAS a protestor. It said he went the day before. And obviously hadn't gotten home yet.

As an Iraq war vet, maybe he'd know that large crowds of unruly people who are assaultive towards the armed authorities can end with innocent people being hurt.

I dont feel much pity.

Thats true, unless he didn't obey their orders. I've had my entrance to my neighborhood blocked before by police, doesn't mean I go up and argue with em.

I still don't see what him being a vet has anything to do with the story though. Did the police ask him if he was a vet, then beat him down because of it?

I don't care that he's a vet. I'd be just as pissed no matter who it was.

I'd be just as pissed if it was a Tea Partier.

Forum List

Back