CDZ Sebastian Junger

IsaacNewton

Gold Member
Jun 20, 2015
I'm not looking for debate, and not really looking for responses. This is worth spending 14 minutes of your life watching. He talks about the loss of 'tribe, affinity, belonging, and many other things'. Please don't post any 'my team is better' posts. Do it somewhere else.

It isn't a rah rah of the military at all. It is a revelation of what ails American society. Well worth watching in it's entirety.

images

*****SMILE*****

:)

Attachments

• upload_2017-7-14_1-35-9.jpeg
    upload_2017-7-14_1-35-9.jpeg
    5.9 KB · Views: 64
I'm not looking for debate, and not really looking for responses. This is worth spending 14 minutes of your life watching. He talks about the loss of 'tribe, affinity, belonging, and many other things'. Please don't post any 'my team is better' posts. Do it somewhere else.

It isn't a rah rah of the military at all. It is a revelation of what ails American society. Well worth watching in it's entirety.

It's common sense!

It's good that he was able to show it in the context of PTSD if that makes it "real" for some people. I don't think many will make the larger connection to how we organize our society economically though.

Thanks for sharing, it is worth a listen.

Last edited:
Videos are soo slow, I don't understand how people like to watch them.

Is there a transcript I can read?

It's common sense!

It's good that he was able to show it in the context of PTSD if that makes it "real" for some people. I don't think many will make the larger connection to how we organize our society economically though.

Yes his perspective is from that of being in the military, but the things he talks about are much larger than that. It does seem like common sense and I would guess most people that watch this, like the audience, are surprised at what he says and what the larger problem is. As he notes, being deployed for a year or more in the situations soldiers face for a long time allows them to go away from the culture for a long time and then come back to see it with new eyes.

It's common sense!

Yes his perspective is from that of being in the military, but the things he talks about are much larger than that. It does seem like common sense and I would guess most people that watch this, like the audience, are surprised at what he says and what the larger problem is. As he notes, being deployed for a year or more in the situations soldiers face for a long time allows them to go away from the culture for a long time and then come back to see it with new eyes.

A bit of culture shock when they return home. From a collective environment to the individualist dog eat dog world of acquiring the goods and services for ones own subsistence. Completely understandable and quite the commentary on modern American society. I'm going to continue to beat this horse. It's our economic system that is the root of the ugliness of American culture.

It's common sense!

A bit of culture shock when they return home. From a collective environment to the individualist dog eat dog world of acquiring the goods and services for ones own subsistence. Completely understandable and quite the commentary on modern American society. I'm going to continue to beat this horse. It's our economic system that is the root of the ugliness of American culture.

Junger notes it is the lack of unity, of 'tribe'. He has a new book out called Tribe that goes into detail of what he is saying. It's clear from the data after 9/11 happened that crime went down and many people actually had a better outlook and felt BETTER because the entire country was one 'tribe' for a short time again.

It's common sense!

Junger notes it is the lack of unity, of 'tribe'. He has a new book out called Tribe that goes into detail of what he is saying. It's clear from the data after 9/11 happened that crime went down and many people actually had a better outlook and felt BETTER because the entire country was one 'tribe' for a short time again.

How do we maintain unity in a society that promotes individualism as the ideal for the way we distribute goods and services? Are we going to traumatize society every so often, on an ongoing basis to accomplish it? Junger also brought up the wealth gap in his talk.

His whole PTSD isn't about what happened over there but the lack of community at home is a stretch. Part of growing up and growing old is becoming further isolated and alienated from those who were there during your glory days.

New Topics

Forum List

Back