Seattle man acquitted in TSA airport case

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
Keep pushing back. The people have the power to stop this authoritarian crap from the government.

An Albuquerque jury acquitted a Seattle man Friday who had refused to show his ID to Transportation Security Administration officers at a New Mexico airport in 2009.

Phil Mocek had been on trial for four misdemeanor charges, including failing to obey an officer and concealing his identity at Albuquerque International in November of 2009.

According to the Seattle Weekly, Mocek, a 37-year-old software developer, had no form of valid ID when he reached the front of an airport security line. He was told to step out of line for further questioning.

According to the Weekly, Mocek had refused to give his name or leave the airport when ordered, after police said he caused a disturbance in which he allegedly yelled, "I know my rights!" He also used his cell phone to record the incident.

In the wake of simmering outrage against TSA's gropes and naked imaging machines at airports, Mocek's case has become a rallying cry for civil libertarians.

KOB-TV in Albuquerque reported that jurors found Mocek not guilty on all four counts.

Last edited by a moderator:
TAZ...were you this supportive of "pushing back" when Bush was abusing power and attacking our freedoms with the assumed powers of tapping our phone calls?

...just curious.

"a 37-year-old software developer, had no form of valid ID when he reached the front of an airport security line. He was told to step out of line for further questioning"

So, next time he tries this they're going to let him on the plane then? :lol:

TAZ...were you this supportive of "pushing back" when Bush was abusing power and attacking our freedoms with the assumed powers of tapping our phone calls?

...just curious.

Well one, I never voted for George Bush.

Second, I was opposed to the creation of TSA.

Now to answer your question, no, the abuses of TSA weren't really on my mind during his administration because I wasn't as aware of them at that time. The abuses of TSA really came to light last year with most people when they started their enhanced pat downs and the big deployment of their naked body scanners, which up until last year were just a trial at a few airports that you couldn't be forced into going through.

If the real motive of your question, and I imagine it is, is if I oppose all of this now simply because Obama is president, the answer is no, it has nothing to do with him.

"a 37-year-old software developer, had no form of valid ID when he reached the front of an airport security line. He was told to step out of line for further questioning"

Honestly, I have no issue with being asked to show an ID. I think that's common sense. I'm just happy to see someone finally win a case against the TSA because if a jury can find something as simple as an ID "requirement" being illegal, then there is a much greater chance they will find the scanners and pat downs to be illegal as well.

...just curious.

WTF???

You're fucking miserable, aren't you?

Good God, Marc.....Bush is gone! He can't hurt you anymore. You can stop fearing him now! I've never seen anyone so obsessed with someone as you are with Bush. You are OWNED by him (at least your mind is).

Its time to move on, brother!

Well one, I never voted for George Bush.

Second, I was opposed to the creation of TSA.

Now to answer your question, no, the abuses of TSA weren't really on my mind during his administration because I wasn't as aware of them at that time. The abuses of TSA really came to light last year with most people when they started their enhanced pat downs and the big deployment of their naked body scanners, which up until last year were just a trial at a few airports that you couldn't be forced into going through.

If the real motive of your question, and I imagine it is, is if I oppose all of this now simply because Obama is president, the answer is no, it has nothing to do with him.

How come you weren't aware of the abuses at the time? I was aware...and I was incensed.

The others who were incensed were scoffed at and mocked by BOTH Bush and the media.

Does that ring any bells at all?

And no, my point has little to do with Obama.

Honestly, I have no issue with being asked to show an ID. I think that's common sense. I'm just happy to see someone finally win a case against the TSA because if a jury can find something as simple as an ID "requirement" being illegal, then there is a much greater chance they will find the scanners and pat downs to be illegal as well.

The charges were against him, not the TSA...He was charged with 4 misdemeanors and acquitted. Where does it say an ID requirement is illegal?

How come you weren't aware of the abuses at the time? I was aware...and I was incensed.

The others who were incensed were scoffed at and mocked by BOTH Bush and the media.

Does that ring any bells at all?

And no, my point has little to do with Obama.

I was annoyed by the random pat downs, but like most people, I tolerated them. It was this latest mass deployment of body scanners and enhanced groping that finally pushed me over the edge, like many others.

I was annoyed by the random pat downs, but like most people, I tolerated them. It was this latest mass deployment of body scanners and enhanced groping that finally pushed me over the edge, like many others.
"Annoyed?" Just "annoyed?" Interesting.

The question still stands...why did it take you so long to come to that point that many of US were at WELL BEFORE, DURING the Bush Administration?

It really is no different.

Can you tell me why?

"Annoyed?" Just "annoyed?" Interesting.

The question still stands...why did it take you so long to come to that point that many of US were at WELL BEFORE, DURING the Bush Administration?

It really is no different.

Can you tell me why?

I thought I just did. Evidently my tolerance for bullshit is higher than yours.

What was he charged with?
Not not having ID Im sure.

Being loud and tumultuous...? :dunno:

"Phil Mocek had been on trial for four misdemeanor charges, including failing to obey an officer and concealing his identity at Albuquerque International in November of 2009.

According to the Seattle Weekly, Mocek, a 37-year-old software developer, had no form of valid ID when he reached the front of an airport security line. He was told to step out of line for further questioning.

According to the Weekly, Mocek had refused to give his name or leave the airport when ordered, after police said he caused a disturbance in which he allegedly yelled, "I know my rights!" He also used his cell phone to record the incident.
"

"Phil Mocek had been on trial for four misdemeanor charges, including failing to obey an officer and concealing his identity at Albuquerque International in November of 2009.

"

Point being, just because he's charged and acquitted doesn't change the authority they had to charge him at the time..or next time.

And again, the TSA was not charged with anything.

Last edited:

"

Point being, just because he's charged and acquitted doesn't change the authority they had to charge him at the time..or next time.

Well great he wasted time and effort and most likely missed his flight.
All to prove what ?
If you are going flying you are going to need your ID .
He wasnt going flying that day and he knew it.

"

Maybe he didn't do anything wrong, and the cops were just trying to harass him.

The jury found that even without rebuttal, the TSA and Albuquerque police had failed to satisfy their burden of proving any of the four charges: concealing his identity, refusing to obey a lawful order (it was never entirely clear whether this was supposed to have been an order to turn off his camera, an order to leave the airport despite having a valid ticket, or an order to show ID, none of which would have been lawful orders), trespassing, and disorderly conduct.

Jury Finds Phil Mocek Not Guilty of All Charges From TSA Arrest - Seattle News - The Daily Weekly

You are not legally required to produce ID just because someone demands it.

TSA didn't arrest anyone. TSA cannot arrest anyone. The screeners are not law enforcement officers so they don't have any authority to arrest.

The airport police, on the other hand, DO have arrest authority because they are certified peace officers within their local jurisdictions as authorized by the state.

The issue here is whether or not the police had reasonable cause to arrest Mocek for refusing to show his ID. It did not result in any judgment that the TSA policy was illegal or that TSA cannot refuse to allow a person through the checkpoint without presenting some form of ID. The issue is whether Mocek's actions really constituted an attempt to conceal his identity, whether he was really refusing to obey orders by law enforcement officers, etc. While Mocek's refusal to show his ID to TSA screening officials may be what prompted the incident, the dispute is really between Mocek and the Albuquerque airport police.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back