Seasonal Flu Shot May Double Swine Flu Risk

auditor0007

Gold Member
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, OH
1. Seasonal Flu Shot May Double Swine Flu Risk

A Canadian study found that people who are vaccinated against ordinary seasonal flu double their risk of catching swine flu. The unpublished study has stunned government agencies and thrown national vaccination plans into upheaval as well as tested the public’s faith in the government’s ability to protect their health. Although many experts are skeptical of the study’s results, several provinces in Canada have announced plans to suspend seasonal flu vaccinations.

“It has confused things very badly,” Dr. Ethan Rubinstein, head of adult infectious diseases at the University of Manitoba, told The Globe and Mail. “And it has certainly cost us credibility from the public because of conflicting recommendations. Until last week, there had been much encouragement to get the seasonal flu vaccine.”

Alberta, British Columbia, Nova Scotia, Ontario, Quebec, and Saskatchewan provinces have suspended seasonal flu shots for all people under 65 years old. Instead, they are focusing on vaccinating for the H1N1 “swine flu” virus during the autumn months and plan to resume seasonal flu vaccinations early in 2010.

“By the time the H1N1 wave is over, there will be ample time to vaccinate for seasonal flu,” Rubinstein said.

So far, health authorities in the United States have stated they haven’t found a similar link. The head of vaccine research for the World Health Organization has suggested the Canadian study is flawed, but Dr. Rubinstein doesn’t agree.

“There are a large number of authors, all of them excellent and credible researchers,” he said. “And the sample is very large—12 or 13 million people taken from the central reporting system in three provinces. The research is solid.”

Senior citizens, who carry antibodies that seem to largely protect them from the effects of H1N1, are still urged to get the seasonal flu shot, since they are more likely to be susceptible to the worst effects of seasonal flu.

Scientists do not understand the link between seasonal flu shots and the H1N1 virus. “At the present time, it is quite perplexing,” said Dr. Rubinstein.

I received this in an E-mail newslink, so there is no link to the article.

Here's the truth about it... I haven't got the flu shot since I was 14... I ain't had the flu but twice since that.

Everybody I know that gets the flu shot, every year, they get the flu almost exactly a week after getting vaccination.

All I know is the pharmecutical companies want to make money, the government wants us afraid so they can gain power, and the media is compliant in all of this.

Best thing to do, don't get the shot, stay inside a lot and wash your damn hands. That's all I got to say about that.

Here's the truth about it... I haven't got the flu shot since I was 14... I ain't had the flu but twice since that.

Everybody I know that gets the flu shot, every year, they get the flu almost exactly a week after getting vaccination.

All I know is the pharmecutical companies want to make money, the government wants us afraid so they can gain power, and the media is compliant in all of this.

Best thing to do, don't get the shot, stay inside a lot and wash your damn hands. That's all I got to say about that.

I normally agree with that assessment. If you are healthy, you should be able to survive the flu if you get it. However, this H1N1 virus is a different story, especially the younger you are. My kids and I are getting the vaccine for H1N1, but not the vaccine for the seasonal flu.

I normally agree with that assessment. If you are healthy, you should be able to survive the flu if you get it. However, this H1N1 virus is a different story, especially the younger you are. My kids and I are getting the vaccine for H1N1, but not the vaccine for the seasonal flu.

Dude, I don't mean to tell you how to treat your kids, but I sure wouldn't fall for this fear-mongering shit around the Swin Flu.
The regular flu kills more people every year than the Swine Flu has since it started. Notice it only kills children, elderly, or people with pre-existing conditions. It ain't nearly as bad as people say it is.

Plus, I don't trust the shit they put in the vaccines. I just saw a news report of this lady getting the vaccine, next day she's got some irreversable muscle spasms every time she walks. She looks like she's a zombie every time she tries to move anywhere.

I just don't trust it. Take some vitamins and herbs as far as I'm concerned. You're far better off that way.

'One size fits all' flu vaccine on the way...
:eusa_eh:
Universal flu jab 'edges closer'
22 May 2013 - A way of creating more effective vaccines which could protect against a broad range of flu viruses has been reported by US researchers.
A different seasonal flu jab is produced every year as the virus is a constantly shifting target. This animal study, published in the journal Nature, showed a single jab could protect against multiple strains. Flu scientists said it was an important advance, but a vaccine which could defeat all flu was a long way off. While there are different strains of flu circulating each year, there are bits of the flu virus which do not change. Many groups of researchers believe that targeting these weak spots could lead to a single, universal flu vaccine.

Synthetic biology

The normal seasonal flu jab is made by growing the virus in chicken eggs. It is then inactivated and injected into people to train the immune system to fight off that virus. A group at the pharmaceutical company Sanofi used a different approach to design a new protein which was half virus. Spikes which stick out from the surface of the virus, which hardly vary between strains, were fused with a 'transporter protein' which is naturally found in blood. Groups of these hybrid proteins then spontaneously formed tiny spheres, which were tested in ferrets.

Flu researchers use ferrets as they are can be infected with human viruses, which results in similar symptoms. The vaccine gave the animals immunity against multiple batches of flu ranging from viruses circulating in 1934 through to 2007. Dr Gary Nabel, the chief scientific officer at Sanofi, told the BBC: "We think this is a step down the path towards a universal vaccine. It's not a universal vaccine yet. "There's lots of research in the early phases and this looks as good as anything out there."

Not everything

The spike used in the vaccine was haemagglutinin, but there are many different types of haemagglutinin. It is how viruses are classified - swine flu in 2009 was H1N1, with the H standing for haemagglutinin. This vaccine was designed to protect against H1 flu viruses. It would not protect against others such as the current bird flu in China, H7N9. Prof Sarah Gilbert, who works on universal vaccines at Oxford University, told BBC News: "It is an improvement on the current vaccine. It's not a 'universal vaccine' but it's definitely a step in the right direction." She said it might be able to get over the problems of "mis-match" when there are differences between the seasonal vaccine and the flu being targeted.

However, the vaccine has not yet been tested in people. Clinical grade vaccine has not yet been developed so even safety trials are thought to be a year away. There is a risk that the flu virus could find ways to evade the vaccine. Prof Wendy Barclay, from Imperial College London, said: "I think the important question to explore in the field now is...will the virus be able to escape by 'drift' like it does each year to our natural antibody response, or can it be 'pinned in' by the immune response induced by this new era of vaccines?" Dr Nabel agreed that viruses could be difficult to pin down: "It is like squeezing a balloon. You squish one place and another pops out. The viruses are very clever and under pressure they find a new way to escape."

BBC News - Universal flu jab 'edges closer'

I've never had a flu shot either, but I have been thinking about starting because my immune system is shot all to hell and back. I'm afraid of the shot..but I am also afraid of the flu being in the condition I am in.

The nose knows...
:cool:
Scientists Develop Therapy That Someday Might Protect Public Against Flu Pandemics
May 29, 2013 > Researchers have developed a gene therapy against pandemic influenza in laboratory animals, one that stops infection at the point of entry - the nose. The therapy could potentially thwart the most aggressive viral pathogens, saving the lives of an estimated 500,000 people who die worldwide each year from the flu.
The genetic therapy developed by researchers at the University of Pennsylvania expresses so-called broadly neutralizing antibodies, giving lab mice and ferrets almost complete protection against a number of lethal avian influenza strains, including those isolated from the deadly 1918 and 2009 pandemics. Unlike conventional vaccines which stimulate the body’s natural immune system to fight an infection, broadly neutralizing antibodies halt a virus’s biological activity so it cannot make people sick by infecting cells in the first place. The antibodies can become effective in two to three days. The head of the University of Pennsylvania's Gene Therapy Program, James Wilson, says scientists created a nasal spray to introduce protective genes. “And create what I call a "bioshield" around the nose and the mouth to prevent the influenza virus from replicating,” Wilson said.

The genes, which engineer the tissue to produce protective antibodies, were delivered by a harmless cold virus in the nasal spray. The therapy uses a single gene that produces antibodies against many different flu strains, hence the term, "broadly neutralizing antibodies." Wilson says this broad-based strategy protected all mice exposed to lethal amounts of three strains of H5N1 and two strains of H1N1. But the microbes replicated or reproduced rapidly in untreated rodents. The nasal spray was also successfully tested in ferrets, a good model for human flu because the tiny, furry animals cough and sneeze when sick.

Conventional vaccines to protect against seasonal influenza are not 100 percent effective in preventing illness. The viral strains mutate rapidly, so there is little or no immune-system protection stimulated by the previous year’s flu shot, and the pathogens can evade experts' predictions of what virus is likely to be in circulation during the coming flu season.

Wilson says a different approach to flu protection is needed. Researchers are currently in discussions with U.S. drug regulators about quickly testing the therapy in humans using a safe flu strain. According to Wilson, they are aiming to manufacture and stockpile the drug in anticipation of a serious influenza pandemic. “So then there is a pretty direct path into first, in human safety and then efficacy studies, which we have charted out. And with the right resources, we could move very quickly on that,” Wilson said. Wilson says the U.S. government has also expressed an interest in using the broadly neutralizing antibody approach to protect against bioweapons, such as anthrax and other toxic agents. An article on the development of a gene therapy against pandemic influenza is published in Science Translational Medicine.

Scientists Develop Therapy That Someday Might Protect Public Against Flu Pandemics

Hi! Nice to meet you, I'm SteadyMercury.

There you go, now you know someone who got a flu shot last year and didn't get the flu.

1. Seasonal Flu Shot May Double Swine Flu Risk

A Canadian study found that people who are vaccinated against ordinary seasonal flu double their risk of catching swine flu. The unpublished study has stunned government agencies and thrown national vaccination plans into upheaval as well as tested the public’s faith in the government’s ability to protect their health. Although many experts are skeptical of the study’s results, several provinces in Canada have announced plans to suspend seasonal flu vaccinations.

“It has confused things very badly,” Dr. Ethan Rubinstein, head of adult infectious diseases at the University of Manitoba, told The Globe and Mail. “And it has certainly cost us credibility from the public because of conflicting recommendations. Until last week, there had been much encouragement to get the seasonal flu vaccine.”

Alberta, British Columbia, Nova Scotia, Ontario, Quebec, and Saskatchewan provinces have suspended seasonal flu shots for all people under 65 years old. Instead, they are focusing on vaccinating for the H1N1 “swine flu” virus during the autumn months and plan to resume seasonal flu vaccinations early in 2010.

“By the time the H1N1 wave is over, there will be ample time to vaccinate for seasonal flu,” Rubinstein said.

So far, health authorities in the United States have stated they haven’t found a similar link. The head of vaccine research for the World Health Organization has suggested the Canadian study is flawed, but Dr. Rubinstein doesn’t agree.

“There are a large number of authors, all of them excellent and credible researchers,” he said. “And the sample is very large—12 or 13 million people taken from the central reporting system in three provinces. The research is solid.”

Senior citizens, who carry antibodies that seem to largely protect them from the effects of H1N1, are still urged to get the seasonal flu shot, since they are more likely to be susceptible to the worst effects of seasonal flu.

Scientists do not understand the link between seasonal flu shots and the H1N1 virus. “At the present time, it is quite perplexing,” said Dr. Rubinstein.

I received this in an E-mail newslink, so there is no link to the article.

Perhaps this is an old article? It says some of the provinces will resume seasonal vaccinations in 2010.

I've never had a flu shot because everybody I knew always got the flu. I've never been quite trustful of flu shots. Then there's the one time (maybe back in the 70s?) when there was a major panic over swine flu and a lot of people died or got really ill from the shots. The vaccine had to be recalled after complaints/lawsuits started coming.

Anyone I have ever known who gets the flu shot usually gets sick within 3 to 4 weeks.
Many who don't get it do not get sick.
I think like many do that it weakens your immune system and it's a scam.

Are Flu Vaccines a Scam? » DrAxe.com

Many studies have been proven that it does not work.
Study after Study Shows the Flu Shot is a Scam
◾A study published in the October 2008 issue of the Archives of Pediatric & Adolescent Medicine found that vaccinating young children against the flu had no impact on flu-related hospitalizations or doctor visits during two recent flu seasons. The researchers concluded that “significant influenza vaccine effectiveness could not be demonstrated for any season, age, or setting” examined.
◾A 2008 study published in the Lancet found that influenza vaccination was NOT associated with a reduced risk of pneumonia in older people. This also supports an earlier study, published in The New England Journal of Medicine.
◾Research published in the American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine also confirms that there has been no decrease in deaths from influenza and pneumonia in the elderly, despite the fact that vaccination coverage among the elderly has increased from 15 percent in 1980 to 65 percent now.
◾In 2007, researchers with the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, and the National Institutes of Health published this conclusion in the Lancet Infectious Diseases:
◾A large-scale, systematic review of 51 studies, published in the Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews in 2006, found no evidence that the flu vaccine is any more effective than a placebo in children under 2. The studies involved 260,000 children, age 6 to 23 months.

Skip the Shot and Naturally Protect Yourself!
Our bodies are not intended to be given noxious toxins such as what the flu shots are made of. According to an article on doctor Mercola’s website, vaccines have aluminum, sucrose, animal tissues, MSG, and antifreeze in them. Ugh!

I am very allergic to MSG. If had I gotten the flu shot it would have made me very ill.

Flu Shot May Help Your Heart, Too...
:cool:
Flu shots may reduce risk of heart attacks, strokes and even death
October 22, 2013, Get a flu shot to ward off a case of influenza, and as an added bonus you’ll reduce your risk of a heart attack, stroke or other type of unpleasant “cardiovascular event,” a new study finds.
For some time, researchers have suspected that flu shots can protect heart health as well as respiratory health. They have tested this theory in a handful of clinical trials, and the results have been mixed. Now an international group of researchers has compiled data from a dozen randomized clinical trials to see if they could get a clearer answer to the question. What they found was “a consistent association between influenza vaccination and a lower risk of cardiovascular events,” according to their report in Wednesday’s edition of the Journal of the American Medical Assn.

Five of the trials the team examined were published in peer-reviewed journals and compared a flu vaccine to a placebo vaccine or other type of control. In those trials, 3,238 patients got a real vaccine and 95 of them – 2.9% – went on to experience “a major adverse cardiovascular event,” the JAMA report said. For the sake of comparison, 3,231 patients in those trials got a placebo or control and 151 of them – or 4.7% – later had a cardiovascular event, according to the study. That translates into a 36% reduced risk of a serious heart problem simply by getting a flu shot – something everyone over the age of 6 months should be doing anyway. Based on these figures, the researchers calculated that one death or serious illness due to heart trouble could be prevented by vaccinating 58 additional people.

The flu shot may do more than prevent influenza. A new study in JAMA says that it also reduces the risk of heart attacks, strokes and death due to cardiovascular disease.

Three of the trials the researchers examined focused on patients with coronary artery disease. Some of those patients had recently experienced acute coronary syndrome, and they benefited the most by getting a flu shot. Patients who got the vaccine were 55% less likely to have a serious heart problem than patients in the control groups, the researchers found. The team calculated that for these patients, only eight additional people would need to get a flu shot in order to prevent one case of death or serious illness. When the researchers considered cardiovascular deaths on their own, they found no statistically significant difference between the 1.3% of people who died after getting a flu shot and the 1.7% who died after being assigned to a placebo or control group.

Experts aren’t sure why the flu increases the risk of serious heart problems, but they have their theories. It may cause a plaque that has built up inside the arteries to rupture, or it may cause the heart muscle to become inflamed, among other possibilities. Knowing what’s going on inside the body would help figure out who would get an extra boost from a flu shot, and why. Even with those uncertainties, the conclusion that a flu shot can protect patients with heart disease is convincing, according to an editorial that accompanies the study in JAMA. “The estimate of 1.7 major cardiovascular events prevented for every 100 persons with cardiovascular disease vaccinated is plausible and would represent a significant public health benefit,” wrote Dr. Kathleen Neuzil, a vaccine expert at PATH, a Seattle-based nonprofit that focuses on global health.

Flu shots may reduce risk of heart attacks, strokes and even death - latimes.com

Testosterone reduces flu shot effectiveness...

Male Hormone Reduces Effectiveness of Flu Vaccine - Study
December 24, 2013 ~ Researchers have known for some time that men tend to experience more severe influenza and get sicker from microbial infections than women. A new study suggests it may be that immune responses in men are affected by the male hormone testosterone.
In a small study involving 53 women and 34 men, researchers at Stanford University in California measured their antibody response to the 2008-2009 seasonal flu vaccine. Vaccines stimulate the production of antibodies, which are the immune system’s first line of defense against microbial invaders. As predicted by previous research, the vaccine stimulated a stronger antibody response in women than men.

Lynda Chiodetti runs the National Institutes of Health section that helped fund the study. She said the investigators identified a cluster of genes in the male participants that is associated with lipid or fat metabolism. Many of those genes are regulated by testosterone. “They found that was somehow suppressing the immune response. They don’t really understand the mechanism of this but it’s an interesting finding,” said Chiodetti.

Chiodetti says male participants with the highest levels of testosterone had a weaker antibody response than those with lower levels of the hormone. Stanford researchers now plan to investigate other immune system cells to see whether they are also affected by testosterone. The findings on gender differences in response to the flu vaccine are published in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

Male Hormone Reduces Effectiveness of Flu Vaccine - Study

I've never had a flu shot either, but I have been thinking about starting because my immune system is shot all to hell and back. I'm afraid of the shot..but I am also afraid of the flu being in the condition I am in.

I talked to my doctor about this. I told them that I knew people who got sick after getting the flu shot and his response was that they were already exposed to someone who was sick with the flu and they would have been sick anyway.

The flu shot either works or it doesn't work. If you get a flu shot, your body can laugh off the flu and not get as sick as you could without it. The flu shot can save your life.

H10N8 bird flu found in China...
:eek:
CDC issues alert after H10N8 bird flu found in China
Mon, Jan 27, 2014 - FOWL DISEASE: The agency said the second incident of the avian flu strain infecting a human ever reported occurred in the same Chinese province as the first case
The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) cautioned travelers planning to visit China to avoid coming into contact with fowl, after the country reported the world’s second confirmed case of avian influenza strain H10N8 infecting a human. The CDC said it confirmed with Chinese health authorities that the second case of H10N8 was detected in Jiangxi Province, which is where the first-ever incident of a human contracting the bird flu subtype was reported in November last year.

The agency urged the public to heed a second-level travel alert that has been issued for Jiangxi; as well as for the Chinese provinces of Guangdong, Zhejiang, Jiangsu, Hunan and Fujian; and the cities of Shanghai and Beijing. The rest of China — excluding Hong Kong and Macau — is under “watch” status, it added. The H10N8 virus was previously detected at a live poultry market in China’s Guangdong Province and in its South Dongting Lake wetland, as well as in samples from migratory birds and poultry in Japan, South Korea, the US, Italy and Sweden, the agencies said.

The Council of Agriculture in 2005 detected the virus in feces at an aquatic bird habitat in Taiwan, but has not found the strain in any local poultry, the CDC said. Experiments have shown that H10N8 is low pathogenic virus — meaning that it will likely be asymptomatic or cause only mild illness in birds, as opposed to the severe disease brought on by a highly pathogenic strain — the centers said, but added that the flu subtype requires further monitoring as it has the potential to infect mammals virulently.

However, the CDC said that genetic analysis of the H10N8 strain isolated from the Chinese patient has not shown any indication of genetic recombination with human flu viruses, suggesting that there is little risk of widespread human-to-human transmission. None of the 250,000 samples collected from flu and unexplained pneumonia patients in Taiwan since 1999 have contained the H10N8 subtype, the agency added.

CDC issues alert after H10N8 bird flu found in China - Taipei Times

possum would rather get a spray than a shot...
:eusa_shifty:
Panel: Flu spray better than shots for young kids
26 June,`14 — When it comes to flu vaccines, a federal panel says a squirt in the nose is better than a shot in the arm for young children.
The advisory panel voted Wednesday to advise doctors that FluMist nasal spray is a bit better at preventing flu in healthy young kids. The recommendation is specific to ages 2 through 8 only. Some studies have found that kids within that age group are about half as likely to get the flu if they had the spray vaccine instead of a shot. Federal health officials usually adopt the recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices. A flu vaccine is now recommended for virtually everyone over 6 months old.

AstraZeneca's FluMist is the only spray vaccine on the market. It was first licensed in 2003 and is approved for healthy people ages 2 to 49. Unlike flu shots made from a killed virus, it is made from a live but weakened flu virus. Experts say the spray prompts a better immune response in children who may have never been infected with flu before, but there isn't a clear difference in adults. The nation's largest pediatrician's group, however, objected to giving preference to the spray for kids. A representative of the American Academy of Pediatrics noted FluMist is more expensive, it can't be used for everyone and doctors have already ordered their vaccine doses for the fall flu season.

Dr. Michael Brady of Ohio State University also said the vote hinged on studies that were done before flu vaccine was encouraged for most children and vaccination rates were much lower. It's possible fresher data might not show such a difference, he said. "We really feel you shouldn't place (doctors) and families in a situation where if they don't receive the live vaccine, they feel they're getting an inferior product. Because it may not be an inferior product," he said.

Health officials at Wednesday's meeting stressed that if doctors don't have FluMist in stock, flu shots are perfectly fine — both work. FluMist costs about $23; shots range from about $8 to $22. Of children ages 2 to 17 who get a flu vaccine, 44 percent get FluMist, according to AstraZeneca. The company decided to make more for the coming flu season — 18 million doses, up from 13 million last year — partly in anticipation of the panel's vote, said Kathleen Coelingh, senior director of U.S. medical affairs.

Panel: Flu spray better than shots for young kids

Granny nags Uncle Ferd till he gets his flu shot so he won't get the flu...

CDC tells healthy adults not to forget flu vaccine
September 18, 2014 ~ Think the flu's only a big threat to kids and seniors? Influenza hospitalized a surprisingly high number of young and middle-aged adults last winter — and this time around the government wants more of them vaccinated.
It's time for flu vaccine again and while it's important for the whole family, this year health officials have some different advice for different ages: Certain kids should opt for the ouchless nasal spray. Seniors, expect to get a new kind of pneumonia shot along with that flu jab. And too many young and middle-age adults are skipping the vaccine altogether, says the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention - even though there are more options than ever. "The best way to protect yourself against the flu is to get a flu vaccination," said CDC Director Dr. Tom Frieden on Thursday, before rolling up his sleeve to get his own flu shot. Some things to know about flu vaccinations:

WHO SHOULD BE VACCINATED

The government recommends a yearly flu vaccine for nearly everyone starting at 6 months of age. Yet only about half of Americans get one, a number Frieden called unfortunate. On average, the CDC estimates, flu kills about 24,000 Americans a year.

image.jpg

Tom Frieden, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, smiles as he gets a flu shot Thursday, Sept. 18, 2014, at the National Press Club in Washington, where he and a panel of health experts urged all who are able to get their annual vaccinations.

HOW MANY ARE

Vaccination rates last year were highest for children under 5 - 70 percent - and for seniors - 65 percent, the CDC said. But just a third of healthy adults ages 18 to 64 got vaccinated and, surprisingly, last year hospitalizations were highest among that age group. About 55 percent of school-age children were vaccinated. Parents need to realize that flu vaccine is crucial even for otherwise healthy children, said Dr. Paul Offit of the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. At least 100 U.S. children died of flu last year, only half of whom had lung conditions or other illnesses that put them at high risk and most of whom weren't vaccinated. About half of pregnant women get vaccinated. The shot can be given during any trimester, and also protects the baby during the first few months of life, said obstetrician Dr. Laura Riley of Massachusetts General Hospital.

THE VACCINE SUPPLY

About 150 million doses are being shipped this year, with no signs of shortages or delays, Frieden said. About half will protect against four strains of influenza instead of the usual three, he said, as U.S. manufacturers move toward vaccines with that extra bit of protection. CDC doesn't recommend one over the other.

WHICH KIND TO CHOOSE

Forum List

Back