Seasonal Flu Shot May Double Swine Flu Risk

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by auditor0007, Oct 15, 2009.

1. auditor0007

auditor0007 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,218
    1. Seasonal Flu Shot May Double Swine Flu Risk

A Canadian study found that people who are vaccinated against ordinary seasonal flu double their risk of catching swine flu. The unpublished study has stunned government agencies and thrown national vaccination plans into upheaval as well as tested the public’s faith in the government’s ability to protect their health. Although many experts are skeptical of the study’s results, several provinces in Canada have announced plans to suspend seasonal flu vaccinations.

“It has confused things very badly,” Dr. Ethan Rubinstein, head of adult infectious diseases at the University of Manitoba, told The Globe and Mail. “And it has certainly cost us credibility from the public because of conflicting recommendations. Until last week, there had been much encouragement to get the seasonal flu vaccine.”

Alberta, British Columbia, Nova Scotia, Ontario, Quebec, and Saskatchewan provinces have suspended seasonal flu shots for all people under 65 years old. Instead, they are focusing on vaccinating for the H1N1 “swine flu” virus during the autumn months and plan to resume seasonal flu vaccinations early in 2010.

“By the time the H1N1 wave is over, there will be ample time to vaccinate for seasonal flu,” Rubinstein said.

So far, health authorities in the United States have stated they haven’t found a similar link. The head of vaccine research for the World Health Organization has suggested the Canadian study is flawed, but Dr. Rubinstein doesn’t agree.

“There are a large number of authors, all of them excellent and credible researchers,” he said. “And the sample is very large—12 or 13 million people taken from the central reporting system in three provinces. The research is solid.”

Senior citizens, who carry antibodies that seem to largely protect them from the effects of H1N1, are still urged to get the seasonal flu shot, since they are more likely to be susceptible to the worst effects of seasonal flu.

Scientists do not understand the link between seasonal flu shots and the H1N1 virus. “At the present time, it is quite perplexing,” said Dr. Rubinstein.

I received this in an E-mail newslink, so there is no link to the article.

2. geauxtohell

geauxtohell Choose your weapon.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,155
    = most likely bullshit.

3. Elutherian

Elutherian BadMother****er

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Here's the truth about it... I haven't got the flu shot since I was 14... I ain't had the flu but twice since that.

Everybody I know that gets the flu shot, every year, they get the flu almost exactly a week after getting vaccination.

All I know is the pharmecutical companies want to make money, the government wants us afraid so they can gain power, and the media is compliant in all of this.

Best thing to do, don't get the shot, stay inside a lot and wash your damn hands. That's all I got to say about that.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. auditor0007

auditor0007 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,218
    I normally agree with that assessment. If you are healthy, you should be able to survive the flu if you get it. However, this H1N1 virus is a different story, especially the younger you are. My kids and I are getting the vaccine for H1N1, but not the vaccine for the seasonal flu.

5. Elutherian

Elutherian BadMother****er

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Dude, I don't mean to tell you how to treat your kids, but I sure wouldn't fall for this fear-mongering shit around the Swin Flu.
    The regular flu kills more people every year than the Swine Flu has since it started. Notice it only kills children, elderly, or people with pre-existing conditions. It ain't nearly as bad as people say it is.

Plus, I don't trust the shit they put in the vaccines. I just saw a news report of this lady getting the vaccine, next day she's got some irreversable muscle spasms every time she walks. She looks like she's a zombie every time she tries to move anywhere.

I just don't trust it. Take some vitamins and herbs as far as I'm concerned. You're far better off that way.

6. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,874
    'One size fits all' flu vaccine on the way...
    :eusa_eh:
    Universal flu jab 'edges closer'
    22 May 2013 - A way of creating more effective vaccines which could protect against a broad range of flu viruses has been reported by US researchers.

7. Dont Taz Me Bro

Dont Taz Me Bro USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,491
    Flu shots are complete bullshit. Never had one in my life.

8. Gracie

Gracie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +28,289
    I've never had a flu shot either, but I have been thinking about starting because my immune system is shot all to hell and back. I'm afraid of the shot..but I am also afraid of the flu being in the condition I am in.

9. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,874
    The nose knows...
    :cool:
    Scientists Develop Therapy That Someday Might Protect Public Against Flu Pandemics
    May 29, 2013 > Researchers have developed a gene therapy against pandemic influenza in laboratory animals, one that stops infection at the point of entry - the nose. The therapy could potentially thwart the most aggressive viral pathogens, saving the lives of an estimated 500,000 people who die worldwide each year from the flu.

10. SteadyMercury

SteadyMercury Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,526
    Hi! Nice to meet you, I'm SteadyMercury.

There you go, now you know someone who got a flu shot last year and didn't get the flu.

• Funny Funny x 1